TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Japanese MMA Thread

K-1 actually punished Hari.

- Loses all his fight money from the event, so he doesn't get a dime.

- Loses his status as a finalist of the tournament, which I believe means he'll have to qualify for next years through a tournament. Usually the final eight have a pass to the Elimination round. Not Hari it seems.

- Has been stripped of the K-1 Heavyweight Championship

And they are apparently going to discuss having a new rule, that if you are DQ'd in a fight, you are automatically suspended.

The latest Dynamite match rumor making the rounds is: Alistair Overeem vs...... Badr Hari! According to Mat Magazine that is, which is a pretty reputable source. Additionally, it is rumored that the rounds will alternate between K-1 and MMA rules, for those that remember the Jerome Le Banner/Bob Sapp match from a few years ago. That I don't like, I'd prefer to just see them in a K-1 rules fight.

I've seen alot of people saying Hari shouldn't be booked, or should be suspended for a year for his actions. It's a fine idea in theory for the "sanctity of the sport"...but that's just not how it goes.

Badr Hari has gotten an insane amount of press for what he's done. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad. He's got people talking. And in Japan, that's what they desperately need right now. People talking about him means they might tune in to see him fight. And goddamn do they need ratings.

Hell, even Satoshi Ishii, who most thought could possibily be the savior of Japanese MMA when he debuts has announced that he has no interest in fighting in Japan. Talk about a crippling blow.

...Because it's fucking hilarious?

I mean, did you have a problem when Dos Caras Jr. fights with his mask on?! It's tradition!

The more disturbing factoid other then the mask, or the identity, is the size difference. Sapp's got quite a bit on this little fellow.

Well, the guy doesn't look as small as Kiyoshi Tamura, at least...

And with a quick search, the guy won wrestling titles in the 96-120kg division, so he could conceivably stand a decent chance in this fight... well, if he wasn't going to be half blind.

Akihito Tanaka, freestyle national champion. He didn't do much on the world scene, but then again, neither did Fujita.

But Fujita had plenty of MMA experience.

I still give this guy a fighting chance, because Sapp has so much ring rust and all. It's not like I give a fuck though, why am I even bothering trying to handicap a Bob Sapp fight?

Hari vs. Overeem is now confirmed by Overeem's website but not by K-1's; K-1 rules on NYE, MMA rules sometime in early 2009.

Other fights that are now confirmed:

Mach vs. Katsuyori Shibata (MMA) (Original rumors for this fight had Mach and Manhoef, but this should be pretty good)

Yukio Sakaguchi vs. Andy Ologun (MMA)

Bob Sapp vs. some pro wrestler dude (MMA)

Could be a tricky situation... he might get a slightly largish contract but unlike Brock... he definitely needs to be babied a little bit.

All I have to say about Dynamite 08 so far is

Holy fuck Manhoef... I did not see that coming. I haven't watched him since he fought Fedor, so I'm wondering what the hell has exactly happened to Mark Hunt.

LOL, Overeem with the post fight interview after having Hari's lunch.

I've always like Kawajiri but I can't see him as anything more than a gatekeeper.

Bombs away when Lord of the Curry gets around to reading one result in particular.

Sucks that JZ/Hansen got canceled. WTF.

Also,

of all people, Overeem destroys Hari and speaks up about "respect". Has Overeem ever respected an opponent? Awesome, though.

- "K-1 level striking" is slowly losing any meaning.

- Overeem should really look at LeBanner for an idea of what years of unchecked steroid abuse will do to your bones.

- With Hunt KO'ed via headshots, this year has been definitive proof that even the greatest of chins (Hunt, Nog, Fujita) wear out over time. That being said, Manhoef is probably the most fearsome striker at LHW... after Rodney Faverus.

- Tamura would've always beaten Sakuraba.

- Despite all the hate, I at least feel vindicated for pimping Aoki back in the day, especially as one of the premier BJJ practitioners in the sport.

- Sapp still blows.

- Tokoro will never beat anyone who's had success above featherweight.

- Leidicker picking Zimmerman to beat Minowa is hilarious.

- Schilt's triangle choke > Barreto's

- How the fuck does Shibata still get fights?

MELVIN! MELVIN! MELVIN! MELVIN! MELVIN!

Those anyone else find it shocking a natural middleweight KO'd Hunt? Kinda glad Aoki beat Alvarez, to make the Aoki haters cry and whine.

Thank you Overeem for showing Hari whats up.

The stream's chat room was funny, at least to my sleep-deprived eyes:

"I can't imagine sitting down and waiting 8 hours for Bob Sapp to fight a cartoon character"

"Which one of these japs is crocop?"

"WHEN THE FUCK IS HANSEN/JZ!!!"

Okay, so what's the deal with spoilers for this? I came by looking to drop the link and I'm sure many others here wouldn't mind checking it out, and all the discussion is killing the suspense for the few fights I want to see (Hari vs. Overeem, Aoki vs. Alvarez)

Don't we have rules about that shit? It's pretty annoying. I figured I"d be safe for at least a day or two, when this airs Stateside.

I think it's an unwritten rule on Japanese MMA that unless it's being broadcast either live on or tape delay to avoid the thread for a day or two. That's what I'd do when all of the DREAMS shows were being shown on HDNet.

Aoki earns sub of the year nomination, as he got the leg from Eddie mounting him. Plus, audible yelps are always bonus.

Eddie never actually got mount, as he essentially gave Aoki a butterfly hook.