TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

Your Top Five Anything

Five favourite heel characters:

1) Pro-Canadian Bret, 1997

2) Bratty lil brother Owen - any time from 93-97.

3) First-run ECW Raven, 94-97.

4) Team Canada's Lance Storm, 2000

5) Either member of Money Inc., at any point between 87-93.

Honourable mention to Cyrus. Also, I've been meaning to get this thread started for months, but was never able to compile my list of the five best talkers.

Five best crowd reactions:

1. Bash at the Beach 96, Hogan turns heel

2. Super Sunday, Hogan's AWA title win reversed

3. Canadian Stampede, introduction of the Hart Foundation

4. Summerslam 88, Ultimate Warrior beats Honky Tonk Man

5. Hardcore Heaven 94, fans throw dozens of chairs into the ring after Terry Funk asks for a chair

Just missing the cut: Jericho's 1999 WWF debut, the "We want Flair!" chant at Bash 91, Cena's intro at One Night Stand 06, Austin's run-in at Backlash 00

Top Five Favorite Promos

1. Hogan at BATB 1996

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin at KOTR 1996

3. SHawn Michaels 2005 in Montreal prior to Hogan vs. HBK at Summerslam.

4.The Rock's first interview after turning heel at Suvivor Series 1998

5. Ric Flair promo from summer of 2003 when he was feuding with HBK. This is a personal favorite. Among other things, he says he's going to make HBK his bitch.

Five best crowd reactions:

1. Bash at the Beach 96, Hogan turns heel

2. Super Sunday, Hogan's AWA title win reversed

3. Canadian Stampede, introduction of the Hart Foundation

4. Summerslam 88, Ultimate Warrior beats Honky Tonk Man

5. Hardcore Heaven 94, fans throw dozens of chairs into the ring after Terry Funk asks for a chair

Just missing the cut: Jericho's 1999 WWF debut, the "We want Flair!" chant at Bash 91, Cena's intro at One Night Stand 06, Austin's run-in at Backlash 00

I like a lot of those but where do you put the Austin run-in and subsequent Mankind's Title win on RAW?

That one would be solidly in the top 20. Not sure about top 10. I didn't think it was as big a pop as the one at Backlash, so it has to be below that one, at least.

I may need to put a lot more thought into this topic.

Top matches I've seen in person.

1) Shane McMahon vs. Kurt Angle, King of the Ring 2001

2) Austin vs. Jericho vs. Benoit, King of the Ring 2001

3) Batista & Cena vs. HHH & JBL, Dark match after Raw 7/11/05

4) Austin & Angle vs. Undertaker, SmackDown, 11/5/01

5) Shawn Michaels & Benoit vs. HHH, Orton, & Batista, Raw after WMXX

Ooh! I like that list, I can probably do that one off the top of my head.

Top matches I've seen in person.

1. Finlay vs. Rey - Smackdown sometime just before WM22.

2. Cena vs. Angle - RAW houseshow in 9/05. Much better than any of their PPV matches for the WWE Title.

3. Regal vs. Benoit - Same SD as the Finlay/Rey match. Really short, and I was disappointed live, but really liked it after watching it on TV.

4. Show vs. Hogan - Memphis show last year. Even though I'm a big fan of Show, this would have been so much better with Lawler. Still, this was a pretty fun Hogan routine match. Seeing Hogan do his shtick live was worth the admission.

5. Orton vs. Jericho - RAW houseshow 12/26/07. Much better than their lackluster performance at Armageddon.

Favorite Bret Hart matches

5. Vs Hakushi (In Your House, 5/14/95)

4. Vs Diesel (Survivor Series, 11/19/95)

3. Vs Steve Austin (WrestleMania XIII, 3/23/97)

2. Vs Mr. Perfect (SummerSlam '91, 8/26/91)

1. Vs Owen Hart (WrestleMania X, 3/20/94)

Top 5 Favorite PPVs

5. Survivor Series 1996

4. Summerslam 1997

3. Canadian Stampede

2. Wrestlemania X7

1. Summerslam 1998

Top 5 Matches seen live

5. Bret Hart vs. Undertaker (Summerslam 97)

4. Kurt Angle vs. John Cena (Raw, January 06-First blood): Awesome crowd involvement, the height of Anti-Cena/Pro-Angle

3. HHH vs. Mankind (Summerslam 97-cage match): Technically not as good as Bret/Taker, but much more exciting from a live stand-point.

2. Steve Austin vs. Owen Hart (Summerslam 97)

1. 2004 Rumble Match

Top five United States Champions in the post-1985 era. I'm going by the quality of their reign(s) and what they brought to the belt, as opposed to just picking the biggest stars. I'm only doing after the 1985 era, because, well, I haven't watched the Crockett TV from before then. Hardly any of it, anyway. Some I'll explain, some I won't.

5. Goldberg. Simple, yeah? It brought the belt up to a main event level...on one hand, that's a bad thing. I don't necessarily feel that way. Maybe he doesn't belong, but I wanted to get someone from a newer era involved. He's the only one I thought fit.

4. Rick Rude. Spearheaded a wonderful midcard, a super hot angle (Dangerous Alliance), had a great ironman match with Steamboat at Beach Blast...don't think many will be surprised at his inclusion.

3. Nikita Koloff. He got the belt and ran with it. A large part of his inclusion has to do with his feud with this guy...

2. Magnum TA. Now, you might be surprised I didn't put he or Nikita at #1. That can only be explained through the other man's accomplishments, as you'll see. Suffice it to say, there is nobody that did as much with a mid-card title in such a short span as Magnum did. If he had held the belt longer, I would've put him at #1. His feud with Tully Blanchard was top ten stuff.

1. Lex Luger. Probably a surprise, but easily explainable. First, he held the belt for longer than anyone else ever has. Second, five US Title reigns, over a span of eleven years. It's not like all of them were short reigns, either. We've got a 17 month long one, a seven month one, a four month one, a two and a half month one, and a one night one. Ok, one really short reign. We've got about 31 months of calendar time there. Not only that, but he's the perfect mid-card belt holder. Someone that's always valued as a top guy by the fans, but while not good enough to hold the world title, the fans still believe that he can win the belt whenever he gets in the ring with the world champion. That's a good thing. He wasn't the best later in his career, but he held the US Belt well before that. Quite a few of those matches early on for said title were pretty good.

I'll do something else later.

Top 5 Best Crowd Reactions

5. Jericho's WWF debut in 1999.

4. Flair returns to Monday Nitro to reform the 4 Horsemen

3. Mankind wins his first WWE title

2. Hulk Hogan turns heel at Bash at the Beach and forms the nWo

1. Introduction of the New Hart Foundation at Canadian Stampede

Just missed: La Reistance win the tag titles over Benoit/Edge in Montreal, Austin win the title at WM17.

I can live with Luger as number 1 because he had long reigns as both heel and face.

As far as top crowd pops. I will skip honorable mention and say Undertaker's run-in at Judgment Day '00 has to make the list.

Top Five Hilariously Bizarre Backstage Segments From Ring of Honor, Year One

5. TIE: Any time the Christopher St. Connection and Prince Nana were in the same place at the same time.

4. Homicide, Boogalou, and the Rubber Chicken

3. Spanky vs. Frank Talent

2. Jerry Lynn and Xavier Babble About Metal For No Apparent Reason

1. Brian XL Says "Biatch" Eight Million Times, Gets Put in a Chickenwing by Bryan Danielson As a Result

Top 5 Superstars of all time:

5. Bret Hart

4. The Rock

3. SCSA

2. Flair

1. Hogan

Good top 4, but I'd question leaving Andre the Giant off the list in place of Bret Hart.

Top 5 Most Important/Influential Matches of All Time (Game Changers, so to speak):

5. Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart - Survivor Series 1997

4. The Main Event at Bash at the Beach 1996

3. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon: Wrestlemania X

2. Hulk Hogan vs. Nick Bockwinkel - Super Sunday

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin: I Quit - Wrestlemania XIII

I've been thinking about what I'd do next...and I decided that I'll go back to WCW. For what, you ask? The five best Television Champions. Same criteria as the last.

5. Booker T. When rating TV Champions, quite a bit of it comes down to having matches that can stick in my memory. Booker had a few of those when chasing or as Television Champ. And he held the belt more times than anyone else. Can't forget that.

4. Steve Austin. While he didn't defend the belt on many PPV's, I'm going to put him on here because, well, he was high on the card. And Dangerous Alliance. I tend to favor that in my rankings.

3. I thought about including Jim Duggan right here, but I won't. The Renegade too. We'll go with Steven Regal. Uh...first, he held the belt for two separate six month reigns. Second, he's Regal. Guys like Regal were why I liked the WCW mid-card so much. Quality.

2. Tully Blanchard. Do I really need to explain this one? Blood feud with Dusty for the belt. WarGames: The Match Beyond and all that. If I had not put him in the top three, well, that would've been dumb.

1. Arn Anderson. His 1986 run with the strap was fantastic. Good matches, some of which were on television. Won the belt in 1990 from Muta, but lost it to Tom fuckin' Zenk. Don't know what that's about. If we go with the Luger formula of time with the belt, he had over two years with it. I really don't think anyone can disagree with his placement. Too bad he had to retire so soon.

If I was going to take anyone out and add someone else, I'd add Nikita Koloff.

Top 5 non-title, non-Rumble matches from Royal Rumble events -

5) Big Boss Man vs The Barbarian (1991)

4) Ric Flair vs Vince McMahon - Street Fight (2002)

3) The Hardy Boyz vs The Dudley Boyz - Tables Match (2000)

2) The Rockers vs The Orient Express (1991)

1) 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin vs Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine - Submission Match (1990)

Top 5 Saturday Night's Main Event matches:

1. Randy Savage vs. Bret Hart (1987)

2. Mr. Perfect vs. Tito Santana, IC title (1990)

3. Rockers vs. Brainbusters (1989)

4. Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase (1988)

5. Dream Team vs. British Bulldogs, 2/3 falls, tag titles (1986)

Top Five Four-Man Survivor Series Teams

5) Team Captain Ultimate Warrior with the Texas Tornado and the Legion of Doom (1990)

4) Team Captain Ric Flair with Ted DiBiase, The Mountie and The Warlord (1991)

3) Team Captain Razor Ramon with Randy Savage, Marty Jannetty and the 1-2-3 Kid (1993)

2) Team Captain Rick Martel with The Warlord and Power & Glory (1990)

1) Team Captain Rowdy Roddy Piper with Bret Hart, Virgil and the British Bulldog (1991)

Top 5 Horseman moments/actions.

1-Ric Flair retirement ceremony on Raw

2-Breaking Dusty Rhodes' arm

3-Beatdown on Kevin Sullivan after Benoit/Sullivan match in Baltimore

4-Ric Flair returns after suspension

5-Sting falls for it (several times)

Honorable Mention: Breaking Ricky Morton's nose by rubbing it in concrete.

5. Bret Hart

4. The Rock

3. SCSA

2. Flair

1. Hogan

Good top 4, but I'd question leaving Andre the Giant off the list in place of Bret Hart.

ok, I meant Top 5 Superstars since January 23, 1984. sorry

5. Bret Hart

4. The Rock

3. SCSA

2. Flair

1. Hogan

ok, I meant Top 5 Superstars since January 23, 1984. sorry

No worries, but even with that date range... I'd probably still put Andre the Giant on the list in place of Bret Hart. Even past his prime, Andre was a bigger mainstream star than Bret ever was... but that's just my opinion on the matter.

I always liked them breaking Dusty's leg after he saved them from the Russians more than when they broke his arm. One of my favorite heel moments of all time.

Top Five WWF Hasbro Action Figure Accessories

5) Macho King's Crown and Scepter

The beauty of these accessories was that you could use them with whomever you wanted to be "King" of your company. Fuck it. If I want to build my toy wrestling league around King Virgil, then so be it.

4) Hacksaw Jim Duggan's 2x4

This was a tough one. Between the Big Bossman's nightstick or Jake's pet Damien, it really occurs to me that the babyfaces of this era carried a lot of fun shit to the ring with them. Anybody ever have Brutus Beefcake stab somebody with his hedge clippers before pouring fake blood on them?

3) Demolition's Masks

These were just awesome. Demolition had to have these masks, or it would have been a letdown. It almost made up for the fact that The Mountie didn't come with his cattle prod or that I.R.S. didn't have his trademark brief case.

2) Honky Tonk Man's Guitar

Did anybody put together a Honky Tonk Man match where somebody didn't get whacked over the head with the guitar? Me neither. That's why I got him in the first place.

1) Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Belt

Much like the Macho King's crown and scepter, this one was interchangeable. When Hulk Hogan was taking a break from the Heavyweight Championship scene, he was defending the Million Dollar Belt to the likes of Typhoon and Jimmy Snuka. Yes, I actually had a Million Dollar Division.

I always liked them breaking Dusty's leg after he saved them from the Russians more than when they broke his arm. One of my favorite heel moments of all time.

Actually, that was one of the major angles that lead to the eventual formation of the Horsemen.