TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Does Anyone Still Play World of Warcraft?

At Wal-mart last night,a roughly 30 year old, a 400 lb man, in glasses, with Short curly hair, and tight red jogging pants was waiting 1st in line for the midnight release of this game.

I assumed all 5 million WOW subscribers (players?) looked this way.

I racked up a lot of playing time during my four months of unemployment a couple years ago (hell, I started the original WoW thread here), but haven't touched it at all since I started my job, and probably won't ever pick it back up

I still have two 40ish characters somewhere out there (I think, unless they purge inactives after a time), but I don't really care

This still applies today, although I wouldn't have given it much thought, even in the wake of Chiko bumping this thread, until I got this e-mail today

Drew,

You've been summoned back to Azeroth! Your World of Warcraft® account has been selected to receive 10 FREE days of game time and a FREE trial of The Burning Crusade® expansion pack.

During your 10 FREE days, you'll have access to all of the new and exciting features that have been added to World of Warcraft, including:

* Faster Leveling Times -- Ascend to the epic powers of the highest levels faster than ever before! Your hero will level almost twice as fast from level 1 to 60.

* Mounts at Level 30 -- Why walk when you can ride? Mounts are now available at level 30 to get you around faster.

* The Continent of Outland -- Journey beyond the Dark Portal and into the shattered world of Outland to discover the fate of its denizens. Explore an entire continent loaded with thousands of new quests.

* Two Bold New Races -- Whether embracing the mystical energies of the blood elves or unleashing the Light-given power of the draenei, new realms of power and possibility await.

* Increased Level Cap -- Advance to level 70 with The Burning Crusade, gaining powerful new talents and abilities along the way.

* And much more! Click here to view the latest content additions to World of Warcraft.

I'm still not sure about going back though, mostly due to the lack of interest since I'm not really starving for free time. I'm curious about the first two notes though. Did they really speed up the leveling process, and are mounts available at 30 now?

Guest Vitamin X

I've never gotten into WoW, I think mostly because of a lot of the stigma associated with the game. I know it can also be severely addicting as well, so I wanted to stay away from it as much as I could, although it's been tempting to bust open a huge thing of nachos and a beer and play for a long ass time just to emulate the whole South Park thing.

I went ahead and bought the expansion today. I only play for an hour or two each night, and have had it for a year+ and only have one 70. OTOH I do play it for that hour or two almost every day. Popped in the DVD, installed it while watching Smallville. Logged into the game, watched the cool Arthas video opening... tries to log onto my 70........ 900+ Queue. /facepalm.

I feel like Satan bumping this with former wow players out there. I was unlucky enough to pre-order the expansion and get release date shipping, then forgetting and booking a trip to my mother's house. While on the train, my girlfriend calls me to tell me that the game came in. Oh well. I'm in no hurry to try to quest in a lag heavy zone with millions of others.

Also, I feel you on the queue. I leveled on Mal'Ganis (alliance side because I'm a masochist) and transferred to a medium-populated server thanks in part to the queues.

Slayer, don't come back. Even though they buffed the players and lowered the leveling speed, it's more of the same. General and trade chats are beyond redemption.

When I play now, it's like I buy the two month gamecard, but only play a lot for a week or two at random prior to forgetting all about it and not renewing my sub for a few months.

My sub ran out today, and I didn't get the expansion. Don't plan to for a while.

I usually turn general chat off or switch on my combat log. Reading the things the majority of the players talk about is unbearable.

I probably wouldn't play if I didn't have a TV and DVD player near my computer.

Queues of 1600+ on a Sunday doesn't help either.

I feel like Satan bumping this with former wow players out there. I was unlucky enough to pre-order the expansion and get release date shipping, then forgetting and booking a trip to my mother's house. While on the train, my girlfriend calls me to tell me that the game came in. Oh well. I'm in no hurry to try to quest in a lag heavy zone with millions of others.

Also, I feel you on the queue. I leveled on Mal'Ganis (alliance side because I'm a masochist) and transferred to a medium-populated server thanks in part to the queues.

There isn't that much lag, I suspect they actually reduced the numbers of people allowed on at one time, increasing queues but also stabilizing server performance.

Anyways I'm pretty impressed with Lich King. The Death Knight starting area is by far the best stuff Blizz has done in WoW, and Northrend questing seems a lot more fun and interesting, clustered together so there isn't lots of running around, though maybe the festive atmosphere of so many people around contributes to that.

Unlike some people, I like it when there's lots of talk lots of activity, some of the more annoying fools notwithstanding. the game's at its best when you're doing stuff with other players, raids, or attacking a city, or dungeons, or defending your city, its there that it (and mmo's as a genre) offers you something awesome and unique that a single player or halo-sports-type multiplayer game can never duplicate.

I'm also looking forward to Lake Wintergrasp, i played that on the beta, it's hectic and crazy pvp action.

When I play now, it's like I buy the two month gamecard, but only play a lot for a week or two at random prior to forgetting all about it and not renewing my sub for a few months.

See, I could never justify paying a subscription to play a game. I get the justification, but with all the other junk I already pay for (cable, internet, satellite radio), I can't see paying one more monthly bill just to play one game.

See, I could never justify paying a subscription to play a game. I get the justification, but with all the other junk I already pay for (cable, internet, satellite radio), I can't see paying one more monthly bill just to play one game.

steal your neighbors internet and cable like i do :X

I really like the guild that I am in. They aren't pushy in getting a high lvl for raids and shit and are just down to earth people that enjoy the game. My friend and his brothers are in the same guild I am in and its good.

Hosting a lvl 49 Dreanai Mage about to hit 50 soon. I'm on Lightninghoof server as TheScuba.