TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

I'm a big believer in build down the middle and back, you know, that sort of thing. But I don't think I should take a center yet. Instead, I'll go with...

33-62282-F.jpg

Mike Bossy.

I knew if he was still here for the second round, I would take him. I am not trying to copy 909.

bourque.jpg

I couldn't find a better picture.

Ray Bourque

Has the most goals, assists, and points as defenseman.

Had his jersey retired by Boston and Colorado :lol: .

HHOF class of 2004

I knew if he was still here for the second round, I would take him. I am not trying to copy 909.

bourque.jpg

I couldn't find a better picture.

Ray Bourque

Has the most goals, assists, and points as defenseman.

Had his jersey retired by Boston and Colorado :lol: .

HHOF class of 2004

I agree; you couldn't find a much better pic than that. Angle, the floor is yours.

I'm taking my first pick. I've been away for almost a week with no internet and been stuck running around.

I'm taking Toe Blake for my coach in my first round pick.

Ray Bourque

Tabernac.

I second that sentiment. Figured he might fall to me. Anyway I was going goalie or defense here so:

200px-Jacques_Plante_Putting_on_Mask.jpg

Jacques Plante, G

434 career wins

82 career shutouts

2.38 career G.A.A.

Winner of five consecutive Stanley Cups

Winner of seven Vezina trophies, including five consecutively

Hart Trophy winner

Eight all star game appearences

First goaltender to use a mask regularly

Hall of Fame inductee, 1978

I could very well wind up with a roster full of guys I dislike. To that end,

13_Brett_Hull.jpg

Brett Hull. Despite a lack of success at the World Juniors, won two Cups. A surprisingly low 20th all-time in points, but 741 goals puts him third all-time in that statistic. Perhaps one of the three or four best pure goal-scorers ever. Sidenote: I'm disappointed I couldn't find a picture of him hawking that GT Snowrider. My buddy Matt still claims to have that poster.

CG, can you modify the original post to indicate if a person was selected as coach instead of as a player?

So far it's been pretty obvious role what the person is going to fill (e.g. I don't think that Coach Gretzky would be picked so high in a draft) but there might be some that aren't quite as obvious.

And while I'm asking for favors: what would y'all think about deleting or hiding the early posts that are just all of us signing up to participate or debating the rules? It'd be nice to see the draft starting on page one & all that jazz.

I'm pretty sure that Lidstrom is off the board; selected by Max.

And I think the decision was 12 forwards, not 4 LW / 4 C / 4 RW

Oh, there he is. Well, shit. I'll try again.

First pick, and I cannot believe for a second that he's still here:

AABH028~Guy-Lafleur-Posters.jpg

Guy Lafleur, RW

Two minutes for looking so good!

Second pick:

one_shore01.jpg

Eddie Shore, D

I was going to say that Hull and (especially) Bourque were the guys I was thinking of who should have gone earlier. Hull might not be a first-rounder (You could probably debate the merits of taking him vs. not), but Bourque was definitely a guy I thought was going to go earlier. At the very least, earlier than Potvin. No shot against Potvin, but I though Bourque was better.

There's also a sleeper pick in a goalie that I haven't seen yet. Hopefully someone will get him.

I was going to say that Hull and (especially) Bourque were the guys I was thinking of who should have gone earlier. Hull might not be a first-rounder (You could probably debate the merits of taking him vs. not), but Bourque was definitely a guy I thought was going to go earlier. At the very least, earlier than Potvin. No shot against Potvin, but I though Bourque was better.

There's also a sleeper pick in a goalie that I haven't seen yet. Hopefully someone will get him.

Well with my pick I was pretty much going to toss it up between Potvin, Bourque or Larry Robinson.

I think I know who you are talking about for goalie because when my turn is up I am going to take him.

Edit: Terry Sawchuk was taken. D'oh.

Time's up, EMHE. Pity pick at the end of the second round, a la Baron's pick of Toe Blake.

I'm gonna go outside the box again. My pick for the most underrated player ever is still notably unselected, but I'm gonna go with the second active forward in the draft. My third pick is the first Russian to win the Hart, part of arguably hockey's best line ever (1989 Juniors), a three-time Cup winner. One of the most exciting players in the history of the game. Perhaps his greatest achievement of all? Railing Anna Kournikova. My pick is:

Fedorov-hustling.JPG

Sergei Fedorov.

TakerHart, the floor is yours.

I wonder if CG and I are thinking of the same person, because the most underrated player ever in my eyes is also unselected. I figure I could get him in the 5th. Having said that, I would not have predicted Federov to be the second active forward taken. I can think of at least two guys I thought would go before him.

He isn't the best goaltender ever to play in the league and I know there are guys with better stats out there. He is a two time Stanley Cup champion. And when the time comes, he might have to fight Patrick Roy once again.

roy_vernon.jpg

Mike Vernon!

Up next is 909.

Not an easy pick, but you can't go wrong with this guy...

Joe-Sakic-Photograph-C12487665.jpeg

Of course, that's Joe Sakic.

A couple players off those great Islanders' teams in the 80's have gone off the board, so I'll go ahead and take another one:

AAGV050-Action~Bryan-Trottier-Posters.jpg

Bryan Trottier