TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

Now that that's all sorted out, the still nameless team led by me is proud to select:

He played for some dynamic offensive teams who saw very little playoff success and he won few individual awards (Two Pearson trophies and one Art Ross). But he falls under the shadow of some of the greats who played in his time. He's one of the most underrated offensive talents in the history of the game, he sits currently at fourth all-time in goals with 731, fifth all-time in points with 1771 and also had 43 points in 50 international games (1976-1986)

Of course, I'm talking about:

AAEF028~Marcel-Dionne-Kings-Action-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Marcel Dionne. Center.

My bad. Goblin picked, and at the last time I had checked, my name was right above Goblin's, so in my head I said "ok so in odd rounds I pick after Treble, even rounds I pick after Goblin" so Goblin picked and I went.

From the look of things, we should erase Smartly's pick of Leetch, and go:

Max

EHME

Angle is God

JJ Johnson

Max

Goblin

Smartly

Also, if I could make a suggestion, if someone isn't here to pick, I say we just skip them and let them come in and pick whenever they come back, a la the NFL draft. This picking at the end of the round is too confusing.

Yes. Max has taken Marcel Dionne (who by the way, was the 'most underrated' I eluded to earlier). Pity picks to follow, then back to normal.

Mackey, pick.

Are we taking guys based on their NHL careers? Or does international play come in as well? Like international stats? I don't know how that will effect whatever kind of playoff we try to have, but I'd like to know for future picks I guess.

My bad. Goblin picked, and at the last time I had checked, my name was right above Goblin's, so in my head I said "ok so in odd rounds I pick after Treble, even rounds I pick after Goblin" so Goblin picked and I went.

No worries, I did that once in the NBA draft.

I figure I should have at least one heavy hitter on D so:

pb5steve.jpg

Scott Stevens, D

196 goals

712 assists

908 points

+393 in his career

2785 PIM

3 Stanley Cups

Conn Smythe Trophy Winner

13 all star game appearances

Hall of Fame inductee, 2007 (first year of eligibility)

With a hotshot scoring defenseman and a third of the famous Punch Line thus far, I figure I need to back up this offense with a lockdown goalie. Who better than George Hainsworth?

hainsworth_george.jpg

George Hainsworth, G

Second all-time in career GAA (1.93)

Professional shutouts leader (104), as well as single season shutout record holder (22)

Third in NHL shutouts (94)

One of three goalies to serve as an NHL team's captain

Winner of the first three Vezina Trophies (1926-27 through 1928-29)

Two-time Stanley Cup Winner with the Canadiens (1929-30, 1930-31)

Went 270:08 without allowing a goal in 1930 playoffs, a record

Goblin, it's your pick. I know CC's chart read that Max was next, but Goblin is the only guy left with a roster of two....unless I missed a pick.

From here on in, draft will continue as normal. How does the NFL draft rule work? I'd like to implement some kind of 'just in case', but need a little more info.

Goblin took Chris Chelios.

In the NFL draft, if time runs out on your pick, the draft continues as normal with the next team. Whoever had their pick missed can jump in with their pick at any time thereafter. It happened one year where Minnesota missed their pick, and there was a stampede of teams trying to get their next pick in before the Vikings could hand in their pick.

With that, the unnamed team is very proud to select:

Another wildly underrated player, overshadowed by flashier, more offensive minded players in his generation. But there are very few players gifted with the offensive mind that this player was given. And as a defensive player there were few better. A quiet, unassuming leader, he helped lead the Penguins to two Stanley Cups. He finished 24th all time in goals with 549, second all-time in assists with 1249 and fourth all-time in points with 1798. He also went for 143 points (46-97=143) in 171 playoff games. He was inducted into the HHOF on the first ballot in 2007. Of course, I'm speaking of:

FrancisRon-Whalers-002.jpg

Ron Francis. Center.

I'm liking my team. I got an elite goalie, defenseman, offensive forward and defensive forward. There are still some sleepers out there though. I had a hell of a time between him and a defenseman that shall go unnamed.

As for the international question:

The answer, technically, is yes. Picks can be based on international careers/accomplishments. Since we're doing fantasy picks at the end, it's up to you to sell us on your players and their stats, and it's going to be easier to buy a team full of NHL'ers (see Baron's question about One-Eyed Joe Malone).

I'd also like to see a two-to-three-day window between the end of the draft and the start of the playoffs, in which each GM can further sell us on their teams, etc.

May have been a shitty GM but was one hell of a warrior on the ice:

AAEG007~Bobby-Clarke-Action-Posters.jpg

Bobby Clarke, C

- 8 time all-star

- 3 time Hart trophy winner

- 1 Lester Pearson, 1 Selke, 1 Masterton trophy

- 2 time 1st all-star team member, 2 time 2nd all-star team member

- 2 Stanley Cups

- 5th all-time in plus/minus with +506

- Can't go wrong with Clarke. Not the flashiest but he was a proven winner and did it all both offensively and defensively.

That was a tough as it was between him and one other guy who may not make it back to me. I went with Clarke but I really hope this other guy is overlooked.

A lot of the players that were selected lately were on my wish-list, but were players that I thought would be available in a few rounds.

Hopefully this means that the players that I want more - but presumed would be taken earlier - will be available for me.

Anybody who can stake a claim to being the best player an O6 team ever had is a great pick, and one could certainly make that argument for this guy.

01F-1.jpg

Mats "Vanilla Ice" Sundin, C

First European to be drafted #1 Overall

Longest-tenured European captain ever

Most goals, assists and points by a Swede (First to 500 goals and only to 1000 points)

Toronto Maple Leafs' leader in goals and points, first to score 400 goals as a Leaf, second in franchise assists

Second player to score 20 goals in each of his first 16 seasons

9-time All Star

Good pick. This and the next round I think are really going to make up the meat-and-potatoes of some of these rosters, and really give some teams an identity.

Smartly, all you.