TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

Actually, I think it may be my pick. Mfer picks at 3:30 yesterday, then Gert and 909 make their makeup picks at 4:30ish, putting Nskie on the clock at 3:30 yesterday, til 3:30 am this morning, putting Treble on the clock at 3:30 am this morning til 3:30 pm today...I think it's my pick.

earlseibert.jpg

Earl Seibert, D

Every all star team from 1935 to 1944

Only player Eddie Shore wouldn't fight.

Won cups with the 33 Rangers and 38 Blackhawks

Killed Howie Morenz

350221omahony-clancy.jpg

King Clancy, D

4-time All Star

Hall of Famer

Ranked 52nd on THN's List of 100 Greatest Hockey Players

Namesake of the King Clancy Memorial Trophy for leadership qualities on and off the ice

Retired the highest scoring defenseman ever

First hockey player to play all six positions during a game (including goalie)

Wasn't afraid to back down from a fight, despite his small stature

With King, I now have two lines of world class blueliners that should combine with my goalie to form a stalwart defense indeed.

AAEK011~Ken-Hodge-Sr-Action-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Ken Hodge, RW

- 3x All-Star

- 2x First team all-star

- Played on one of the greatest offences ever

- Holds many Boston records for RW (once held the NHL RW points record)

A spectacular offensive player who will make my already potent offense even better. Not sure which line he'll be on yet but with great right wings running low, I had to strike while the iron is hot.

Well sir, he bounced around a lot but his offensive skills cannot be denied. He was named to the all rookie team in 1987 after a 13-25-38 and being a +8. He would lead NHL defensemen in shorthanded goals just two seasons later. He was involved in one of the biggest ripoff trades in NHL history a few years later. He bounced around the league a bit, never really settling in anywhere, just producing. His career high in points came in 1992-93 when he averaged a ppg. He retired following a Cup win with the Old Man Express in 2002, finishing with 752 points as a defenseman, not bad. Of course I'm talking of...

02F.jpg

Steve Duchesne. D.

My next pick is not surprisingly one of the best two-way players in NHL history. He had at least 20 goals in his 12 seasons as a player, finishing with 366 for his career. He won eight Cups as a player, helping out with 139 points in 145 playoff games, including three sudden death game winners. He ended his career a +349 which is 20th all-time. I'm drafting him as a player before someone drafts him as a coach. He has 500 wins as a coach, one Cup and a lot of people who hate his defensive style of play. Give it up for...

08F.jpg

Jacques Lemaire. C/W.

Hey, sorry I missed my pick, all ... up in New Hampshire enjoying a little bit of nature and a lot a bit of alcohol.

Adding to Lafontaine & Neely on my "how good would they have been without injuries?" list, I'd like to select Pelle Lindbergh as my back-up goalie ... and potentially my starter. He, obviously, suffered the career-ending injury of "no longer breathing" after driving into an elementary school, but while he was still inhaling & exhaling, he was one of the best young goalies in the game, winning a Vezina in his first full season as a starter.

Pelle%20Lindberghs%20Grave.jpg

One of the toughest guys to ever lace up a pair of skates:

ken_reardon.jpg

Ken Reardon, D

- 3x All-Star

- 2x First team all-star, 3x Second team all-star

- 2x Stanley Cup Champion

The definition of a tough defenseman, Reardon was known for playing through injuries. Though his career was relatively short (due to fighting in WW2 and injuries), he was a rock on the Habs defense in the 40's and was one of the premier defenders of the era.

Here's where we stand:

* I, too, am fine with the eight-hour rule. Consider it implemented as of....now.

* Five teams still have no coach. I'm not insisting any select one right away or anything, just noting it as an interesting stat. I am insisting, however, that the four teams without names get on that: EMHE, Gert, Treble, and JJ. Treble, work the Holiday Inn guy into your name for my amusement please. There has to be some kind of "Oh, that was your vocation?" feed.

* What rip-off trade was Duchesne in?

EDIT: Ah yes, the Lindros deal. That dawned upon me while researching my next point, which you can see at the bottom of the page. My friend Gillap looks like Pavel Datsyuk. Up until about 4pm Eastern, the bulk of this post was me thinking aloud as to how to demonstrate this.

For all the David Cross-ity I bring to the board, one of the guys I've debated this with thinks I look like Martin Gerber. JJ Johnson is up.

* Five teams still have no coach. I'm not insisting any select one right away or anything, just noting it as an interesting stat.

While I loathe to admit that I spent this much time thinking about it, I actually made a list of coaches that I'd be comfortable picking to lead the Five, and my list was long enough that I'd be able to get a coach that I was Ok with - and on top of that, a few coaches selected weren't on my list at all. If given the choice of selecting a player or a coach, I'd always take the player first, so I don't think I'll select a coach until my last pick of the draft.

Then again, I had been thinking of holding out on selecting my #2 netminder up until just before I picked Lindbergh, so everything said above is subject to change.

I want to thank my girlfriend for somehow reading my handwriting and copying my notebook verbatim when she saw it was my turn this morning so I didn't lose out on Lemaire. I do question her taking Duchesne this early but whatever.

nhl_u_rafalski_300.jpg

Brian Rafalski, D

Western Collegiate Hockey Association Defenseman of the Year

WCHA First-Team All-Star

NCAA All-Star

Two-time winner of the Pekka Rautakallio trophy for best defenseman in SM-liiga

Matti Keinonen trophy for best +/- in SM-liiga

Kultainen kypara award for best player in SM-liiga

NHL All-Rookie Team

One-time All-Star

In 1999, named by The Sporting News as the best hockey player in the world not playing in the NHL

2002 Olympic silver medalist

Four-time Stanley Cup Champion

This is kind of an unorthodox pick, as there are certainly more decorated defensemen out there, but international play being taken into effect gives Rafalski a bit of an edge, as he was one of the most dominant defensemen in the Finnish leagues. Probably the best undrafted NHLer of all time, he was a key component of both New Jersey and Detroit's all-time great defenses, and adds speed to my blue line as well.

one_gilbert05.jpg

Rod Gilbert

8 Time All Star

1976 Bill Masterson Trophy Winner

1991 Lester Patrick Trophy Winner

Hall of Fame class of 1982

First New York Ranger to have their number retired

Rangers career goal leader (406)

Rangers career point leader (1021)

Tallied 5 assists in a game three different times

Played in the 72 Summit Series

Featured in Andy Warhol's sports painting thingy.

Ken Hodge & Brian Rafalski were both on my wish-list, and I stupidly thought that they'd be available for another round or two ... in hindsight, I probably jumped the gun on Lindbergh and could have waited another round or 4 for him.

Having said that, Peter Bondra, c'mon down, you're the next forward on the NL Five.

- 500 career goals

- led the league in scoring twice

- scored 50+ goals twice, 40+ another two times, and 30+ another five times (including the strike-shortened season, when he did it in 47 games)

bondra2.jpg

With my next pick, I need a LW to fill out my 2nd line.

The soon to be named team owned by Gert selects:

post-2806-1214322527.jpg

Mats Naslund/LW

I really didn't know what to do with this pick but I decided to go forward. If I understood it right we could pick players based on international careers so I'm going with a player some consider to be one of the best Russian players of all time (and now Pavel has a comarade on his line):

a_Kharlamov.jpg

Valery Kharlamov

Two time Olympic Gold Medalist

Eight IIHF World Championships

Member of Team Russia for the Summit Series

Member, IIHF Team of the Century

Hall of Fame inductee, 2005