TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The NHL all-time draft

And to think I just made light of you being at the Special Olympics. Ironic, no?

Teppo Numminen.

I am out. Can I just be skipped until I get back? Later guys.

Well, while I'm awaiting word on my pick eligibility, here's my first pick:

makarov3.jpg

Sergei Makarov, RW

- Oldest player to win the Calder trophy

- A member of IIHF all-century team (the only one not selected yet)

- Throughout his 20 years in pro hockey (counting Russia, NHL, Olympics, World Championships etc.) he averaged well over a point per game

- One of the best ever and a steal this late in the draft. Him on a line with Yzerman and Zetterberg is gold and I am proud to have him on my team.

Boss isn't here until 2 and I'm home so fuck it.

First pick, I'm drafting him as a centerman even though he extended his career by playing defense his last three years. Finished with 575 points, which was good for third all-time when he retired. He lost three years of his prime (ages 24-27) to WW2, returning at 27 to a new league (now with a red line) yet was still productive. He was a four time NHL all-star (three 1st team) and one of the cleanest yet most aggressive players of his time. His #15 is retired by the Boston Bruins who he led to two Cups as a player and shrewdly stole traded for Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield to help the Bruins to another two Cups. Ladies and germs,

SCJ05_25a.jpg

Milt Schmidt. C.

Second pick, drafting another center, but I really don't give a fuck. Decorated NCAA star (Hobey Baker winner in 1981, 142 points in 76 career games), Olympic goal medalist with the 1980 team (my second player from that team), and the first American player to score 100 points in a single season. His offense fell off after 30 but he reinvented himself as a very responsible checking forward (a VERY important thing on The Excitable Boys) He finished with 923 points in 1099 games, 98 points in 135 playoff games, including the GWG for the Devils in 1995. Folks...

Broten,%20Neal%20144.jpg

Neal Broten. C.

I was going to make a disdain-based joke about him missing his pick being a Bruins fan, but since he picked after all, the only thing from my original post that remains is my potential disgust. It could be moot since he hasn't put a picture or name up yet, but if it's who I think it is....(See next post).

And no, after all that, everything did in fact go in order. Makarov was Goblin's 15th round pick, Max's pick of Neal Broten led off the 16th round. Goblin is up. I'm going to PM Gert and have him pre-rank some guys for me, and I'll pick on his behalf. I'm working each day this weekend, but not the whole day, so if I don't select on Gert's behalf, proceed as though it was him. I swear I won't taint this.

It was all my boss's fault. Mr. "I'll be dropping in on you guys at around 10 and we have a lot to talk about" suddenly decides he doesn't want to roll in until 2. If that motherfucker thinks I'm staying late today, he's got another thing coming.

white_as.jpg

Bill White, D

- 6x All-Star

- 3x 2nd All-Star

- Only played 9 seasons but finished a +158 for his career (including 2 +51 seasons)

- Played for Team Canada in the Summit Series

One of the premier defencemen of the late 60's-early 70's and one half of one of the best defensive pairings of all-time. I totally forgot about these guys or I would have taken his partner instead of Gonchar. Too late now though. White was both a rock solid defender and an attacking defenceman and that meant he spent a lot of time both on power plays and killing penalties. A very versatile man to have on my blue line and very consistent (an all-star in 6 of his 9 NHL seasons).

The last of my centers. History may not remember him as one of the best, but he's certainly one of my favorites, and to be fair, he isn't too shabby a player.

p1_dougweight1.jpg

Doug Weight, C

4-time All Star

Scored 13 points in 7 games in the opening round of the 2003 playoffs

2002 Olympic silver medalist

2006 Stanley Cup Champion

969 points in 1131 games (704 of them assists, putting him 46th all-time)

article_12847_2.jpg

I now have all of my wingers. Only two centermen left. One of the centermen I want I know isn't going to get picked. The other might not make it, but I won't be too bummed if I don't. I've had a defensemen on my mind for about 5 rounds now, still hasn't gone, although the pick of Quackenbush makes me think that people may start pulling defensemen out of their ass and I may lose him. Still, I think the selection of Alex Tanguay is the right way to go. Right now my shit shakes up like this.

Hull-Nieuwendyk-Ovechkin

The Cash Line

Bathgate-MYSTERY MAN-Kovalchuk

Tanguay-MYSTERY MAN-Gilbert

Leetch-Seibert

Murphy-Pratt

Glenn Hall

I like it.

No time for a write up or a picture ... the Five would like to welcome Terry O'Reilly to the 4th line.

And would like him to give Eric Lindros another concussion in retaliation for CG taking such delight in me missing my 8 hour window.

No time for a write up or a picture ... the Five would like to welcome Terry O'Reilly to the 4th line.

And would like him to give Eric Lindros another concussion in retaliation for CG taking such delight in me missing my 8 hour window.

Just throw a ball of paper at Lindros. He'll get concussed diving out of the way or if it happens to hit him.

CG. MFer picked at 8:12 AM yesterday, ignoring Niskie's makeup pick. Gert was on the clock until 4, 909 until midnight, Hart until 8 in the morning, and Angle until 4.

There's not too much blame to really do; several GM's did say they'd be gone for the weekend. Still, they could have pre-ranked, as Treble and EMHE have done. So, their loss; as a precaution, do make an effort to PM the guy ahead of you, or if you notice anyone's off the clock.

Alright, I need some blueliners. One of the three d-men I have on my radar won't be taken, so that whittles it down. There's some sleeper forwards I really want, but I need to, at the least, finish up my second defence pairing. So, The Canadian Guitarists are pleased to welcome Ken Daneyko.

Daneyko_With_Cup_small.jpg

Ugh I wish I got a PM. I won't PM the next person.

Five for Fighting selects: Joffrey Lupul

25564.jpg

Wow. That's a pretty terrible pick.

Sorry about the lack of PM to you 909, with my next pick I take:

Dave Manson/D

COCKSUCKER! I'd have bet my junk he went undrafted. Now I need a tough guy defenceman to fight off O Reilly and Samuellson.