TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

What's your honest reaction to this?

I'm not necessarily looking for a pick me up or help with self image problems, but I hate the way my facial hair grows. It's been pretty consistent for years now, and I'm 24.

The surgery is available basically taking grafts from the back of your scalp and filling in the areas. It's rather expensive and probably rather obvious. Let's say your buddy really wanted to do this. What would you tell him? Is this totally ridiculous?

The normal line of people with beards is "Well, I hate shaving, you'd hate having to shave as much as I do". Well, I DO HAVE TO SHAVE AS MUCH AS YOU DO. Just not all the same areas.

Just wondering what your reaction to this type of thing is, and if I'm just crazy. I know there will probably be petty of fluff in some posts, but the serious discussion is much appreciated.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Never thought about it. My facial hair is far better than the hair on my head. I say go for it. I'd never get plugs or wear a weave or do anything, myself. I suppose an issue would be the transplant being very obvious on your face. The guys who get plugs and shit always wear a hat.

Men get transplants for their head because of a stigma that bald = inferior. That is just simply not true and that stigma is fading quicker with each passing year. Why would anyone want to get a transplant for their jaw/chin/lip, though? Unless you are a steel mill worker or something where everyone thinks you are a sissy for not having a full beard, why bother? Also, you are 24, so you should probably give it a few more years. My dad said he was patchy until 25, and then one day he had this spectacular beard. His facial hair is about as thick as anyone I have seen. Give it a few years and just go without facial hair or grow it in the places you can actually get it (provided it is a sensible area to have the hair by itself).

At 25 years of age, I cannot grow a full beard to save my life. I can grow a goatee and a mustache, and then random patches on my cheeks.

I love it. Instead of wasting a bunch of time shaving, I take like, 10 minutes every few weeks.

Guest Desensitized

Beard (by cracky) graft? That sounds patently ridiculous. Just don't have facial hair.

At 25 years of age, I cannot grow a full beard to save my life. I can grow a goatee and a mustache, and then random patches on my cheeks.

I love it. Instead of wasting a bunch of time shaving, I take like, 10 minutes every few weeks.

Ten minutes? That has to include prep time and cleanup, right?

It's expensive? It's not worth the money. For what? To have a beard for a few weeks, months, a year? Eventually you'll get sick of it and want to be clean shaving anyways. What the hells the big attraction of beards to guys who can't grow them? They aren't that great. Are you fat? Spend the money on liposuction or a sex change or something more useful than a beard transplant.

Every word of this applies to me, as well. I shave about once a month

Ten minutes? That has to include prep time and cleanup, right?

From the time I decide it's time to shave my face until the time my face is washed. It's not like I ever actually timed it anyway, I just ballparked.

I've seen pics of guys with the full beard done, and it's just too perfect. I realize that I would want to be shaven sometimes, and that's ok. I guess I'd just like the option. I think my main concern is the lack of a full mustache. It's really scarce, leaving me with the only option of the bottom half goatee. I'd just like the mustache filled in and maybe a little better connection between the soul patch and chin. Yeah, it's a little vain or inferiority driven, I suppose. Thanks for the replies.

I have worn the goatee with no mustache for years. Having a mustache only helps if you are a 40-50 year old that likes Nascar, or you are up for a Tom Selleck Look-A-Like Award. Or, if you are Kamala...right Kamala?

I have had to shave once every three days or so for almost a year now. I seem to be stuck in a perpetual stage of bum fluff that isn't advancing to anything.

I have had to shave once every three days or so for almost a year now. I seem to be stuck in a perpetual stage of bum fluff that isn't advancing to anything.

Whatever you do to homeless people needs to be contained in the LSD folder.

Guest Desensitized

Why are you worried now, in the middle of May? Beards are for the winter.

and wouldn't it look funny, having head hair growing on your chin? as opposed to beard hair.

I have worn the goatee with no mustache for years. Having a mustache only helps if you are a 40-50 year old that likes Nascar, or you are up for a Tom Selleck Look-A-Like Award. Or, if you are Kamala...right Kamala?

Actually, I was kind of going for a Larry Bird circa 1986 look, the three or four times I decided to grow a mustache. I set my expectations low when it comes to facial hair.

I can see the justification of a hair transplant because some guys just do not look good with a shaved head. Most black guys look fine, but for every white guy who looks fine with a shaved head, there are at least two or three who look silly.

As for the facial hair one, I think that borders on being too vain. My facial hair grows in patchy at best. And since the hair I do grow is a mix of brown and light blond, a five o'clock shadow is the only thing from the facial hair catalog that doesn't look ridiculous on me. There's a spot under my chin that doesn't seem to grow much hair, so even then, it's not a look I can sport and feel comfortable with for very long.

My advice is to let it slide. You might be one of those guys who a beard does nothing for. And even if you aren't, it could be worse. Just be happy you aren't balding.

I have an inexplicable gap on the left side of my face where nothing grows. The rest is pretty much fine, but that goatee I have with the gap in the middle is a development of the natural growth.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

My facial hair is very light (colored) but very thick. It has a certain charm.

Go to hell :angry:

I almost have to shave everyday, otherwise I start looking like some hobo.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

My job and family life is such that I can look like a hobo and have it be socially acceptable. Perpetual eighth inch full beard and goatee with moustache.