TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Judgment Day Roundtable

Welcome to another edition of the The Smart Mark round table. Before we get started, let me introduce our panel...

909: Current head of the WWE folder

Hunter's Torn Quad: Esteemed former head of the WWE folder.

MilleniumMan831: Resident WWE 24/7 Online expert

oldskool: The newest member of the panel. Graciously stepped in at the last minute.

King Kamala Classic: Some guy

WWE Women's Title Match: Beth Phoenix © Vs Melina Vs Mickie James

Hunter's Torn Quad: It'll be short, not too bad, and I think Mickie pins Melina to prolong the feud with Phoenix. Next

millenniumman831: Should be decent, never been a fan of diva matches but these are among the best WWE has at this point. I'm thinking Phoenix regains and may start a feud w/ Michelle McCool soon

909: ok, um, i am also not the biggest fan of Diva matches. Should be about six minutes, Mickie pins Melina.

Oldskool: I don't mind diva matches when they aren't insultingly bad, and this one should probably be one of the best this year. Beth pins Melina in about 8 minutes, intertwining Phoenix/Mickie with Phoenix/Melina.

King Kamala Classic: Uh I hate to join the +1 crowd but yeah also not a huge fan of divas matches but this one won't be bad. It'll be like most WWE Women's titles matches. Not really given enough time to be particularly good or bad. It'll probably go around six or seven minutes with Beth retaining.

John Cena Vs John Bradshaw Layfield

Hunter's Torn Quad: Cena wins a very heated match. It'll be decent, but not much more than that unless they got to use shortcuts. Cena by FU in thirteen minutes

millenniumman831: Don't have too much to add to this. Seems like a dead-end feud. I guess JBL may cheap out a victory to set up something for One Night Stand. While it should be a fun, violent match, the outcome of it doesn't intrigue me at all.

909: I'm very interested in this one. I'd like this to continue until ONS, but I can't possibly see JBL picking up the victory. I'll say, uh, Cena winning via rollup after fifteen minutes.JBL attacks in the post-match.

Oldskool I didn't care when this match was the Smackdown main event for the WWE title at WM 21, so I certainly don't care now. JBL's owed wins over Cena after jobbing then as well as tapping at Backlash, so I think JBL takes it in about 12 minutes, and keeps laying the boots to him after the bell just to prove his point.

King Kamala Classic I don't think it'll reach the heights of their I Quit match three years ago at this event but it'll be a fun ***ish brawl. Probably go around 12 minutes with Cena going over. I don't see this feud going on much longer. It just screams placeholder feud until Cena gets to do something better.

909: about the feud being dead-end, it is dead-end in the sense that, well, you know that Cena's going to win the thing and what he's going to do after

King Kamala ClassicI think JBL since his return is a lot like DiBiase was back in the late 80s. He's a credible semi-main eventer that seems to get a run with almost every main-eventer but doesn't really get to go over any of them. Of course, JBL is no DiBiase but he's grown on me. Cena goes on to another main-event feud while JBL mixes it up with a mid-carder

909: I'm curious to see what JBL does afterward.

Hunter's Torn Quad Cena isn't losing three PPV's in a row

Oldskool: I see JBL going on to HHH, and Cena/Orton renewing their "You kicked my daddy's head" feud, just because I can't think of any other main-eventers on Raw. If that's going to happen JBL needs to go over, especially if HHH retains.

King Kamala Classic: what the fuck happened to the draft? Wasn't it supposed to happen after Backlash?

Oldskool: No other brand has anybody worth bringing to Raw, so they've put the draft off.

WWE Intercontinental Champion Chris Jericho Vs Shawn Michaels

Hunter's Torn Quad It'll be very good, maybe MOTN. It'll be built around Shawn's knee. I expect Shawn to win, because he's facing Jericho, but I would like to see Jericho win when Shawn passes out in a leg based submission hold. Either way, fifteen minutes and ****

millenniumman831 : This is FAR and AWAY, the most interesting match/storyline of the night. This could go several different ways. I don't anticipate Deacon Batista to get directly involved but I'm sure he'll staredown Shawn backstage or maybe after the match. The only shot Y2J has here is if they have Batista be enough of a distraction from ringside that Jericho gets a rollup victory but I expect HBK to take it w/ Sweet Chin Music

909: Ok, this is definitely the most interesting part of the show. Should go about twenty minutes. I really expect Batista to interfere, powerbomb Michaels, allowing Jericho to pick up the win in a **** match.Minor nitpick, I don't like how the Intercontinental Title isn't defended on PPV. I'm pretty sure Jericho's going to get phased out of the storyline so he and Jeff Hardy can feud. I'd like those two to get off RAW, but it wouldn't make sense, unless Matt Hardy swapped over to Smackdown. Can't have two midcard belts on one show.

Oldskool: I really don't know what they were doing with the rapid-fire turns here.Jericho turns heel by egging on the Dave/HBK match in the first place, and doubting Michaels' injury, only to turn back face by apologizing and admitting HBK really was hurt. Only to have HBK attempt a heel turn of his own by saying he wasn't really injured at all. I think it goes 20 minutes, ****, no decision when Michaels hurts his knee and Jericho continues to attack it, thinking he's faking it. Sets up Dave/Jericho because Batista can't get his revenge on HBK if he's out injured.

King Kamala Classic: quick question, this isn't for the IC title, right?

Oldskool: It's not mentioned anywhere, so I don't think the title's on the line.

King Kamala Classic The only reason I see Jericho winning would be if it were an IC title match because what the hell would HBK do with the IC title at this stage in his career?

Hunter's Torn Quad: Belt buckle?

Oldskool: lose his smile and hand it to Shane Douglas? or the modern-day Shane Douglas, Matt Striker?

King Kamala Classic: But since it's not, I think HBK wins cleanly with The Sweet Chin Music. Batista attacks him after the match. Like everybody's said, this is definitely the most intriguing match of the night. It looks like it'll be the match of the night. It'll probably go around 15 minutes. But yeah I don't see Jericho winning it.

Hunter's Torn Quad: But he almost has to if they want to give HHH someone to squash before getting back into a program with Cena. Maybe HHH vs. Jericho at the Night of Champions PPV, in a title vs. title match?

909: I really wouldn't mind Jericho getting squashed by HHH this time around. I'm in the minority, probably.

millenniumman831: It sure wouldn't frustrate me as much as it did 5 years ago

King Kamala Classic: I don't think I'd be terribly upset to be honest.

Oldskool: don't see Jericho beating HHH, but I also don't see what good the IC belt does on HHH. Remember the last time he won it in a title v title match?

909 I don't see what's wrong with it this time. Not like everyone is clamoring for a Jericho World Title reign. They could have a tournament!

King Kamala Classic yes! lord knows we could use a tournament

Oldskool: Regal, your King, your General Manager, your Intercontinental champion?

Hunter's Torn Quad Jeff Hardy

millenniumman831 ): *casual fan* Jeff isn't IC Champ?

Oldskool He's one strike away from being fired, can you really put the IC title on him so soon after returning?

King Kamala Classic that's exactly what I was thinking

909: Sure. It's just the Intercontinental Belt.

King Kamala Classic: I don't know. Call me crazy but I think the IC title is more important than people give it credit for. And I don't think Jeff Hardy should get one right away after getting off a 60 day (or however long it was) suspension.

Hunter's Torn Quad: The IC title started losing value in the Russo era, and very little has been since to raise it. It doesn't really matter who holds it

Oldskool: Bah, got cut off. The only reason Jericho has it is because Hardy was suspended, and IIRC the only reason Hardy won it was because Umaga was suspended. Before that we had the Santino Marella incident.

King Kamala Classic: I mean when their drug policy is under the most scrutiny they give a title to a guy who's been into rehab multiple times. But it is WWE.

WWE Tag Team titles match: The Miz and John Morrison © Vs ECW World Champion Kane and CM Punk

Hunter's Torn Quad: It'll be fine stuff. Punk will sell for his team, Kane will run wild on the comeback, and to further the ridiculous booking of Punk since he won MitB, he'll lose clean to Miz again. Ten minutes and ***

millenniumman831: guessing it'll be a solid match. I'm thinking Punk/Kane wins the tag titles. This will set up AAE pitting champs against each other at ONS . ..ECW Title vs MITB

909: Ok, I think Punk and Kane will win the tag titles here, in a not-so-great ten minute match. Um, they'll lose the titles back to Miz and Morrison at ONS. Then face each other at Night of Champions. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see Punk lose again. And next week. Maybe the week after too.When they lose the belts back, it'll be because one champion accidentally hits the other.

Oldskool: They're booking the ECW champion in a tag title match, while Deuce/Domino and Yang/Moore aren't on the show. There's no reason for this other than moving the titles off Miz/Morrison. Kane's notorious for winning tag titles in Odd Couple pairings; X-Pac, Rob Van Dam, and The Hurricane come to mind. Plus, it gives them the pairing of "champion and #1 contender having to co-exist", which is the sort of thing they love to do. They could tie in Chavo trying to screw Kane to get himself another title shot, but I doubt it. Kane/Punk win in about 25 minutes.

King Kamala Classic I don't agree with CM Punk's post MITB booking but at the same time, I think it's kind of ridiculous to think he and Kane WON'T win this one. Especially since as oldskool says WWE loves odd couple pairings. CM Punk and Kane win in about ten minutes in a fun but kind of forgettable match only to lose them at ONS to set up a ECW title Vs MITB match at Night of Champions.

World Heavyweight title match: Edge Vs The Undertaker

Hunter's Torn Quad: Snooze. Enough, already. It's just not that interesting a program for three straight PPV's. It's the same tired UT crap with all the voodoo bullshit. No mas. I don't care who wins or loses, just end it already. Edge wins by nefarious means in a 15 minute ***1/2 match

millenniumman831: Just a terrible turn to a decent angle. I'm thinking they'll be a controversial finish in which Teddy Long sets some multi-match hijinx at ONS or Night of Champions to crown a new champion.

909: This is the worst main event angle I can remember in quite a while. Worst meaning most boring. I really don't give a fuck. I know that Taker is going to win the feud. I don't care how, I just want it done two months ago.): Taker wins a ***1/4 match after about 17 minutes. End this shit for the love of God.

Oldskool: The nice thing about having PPVs every other week is you can have bullshit finishes in title matches. ONS is two weeks after Judgment Day.Edge wins the match via DQ after Taker applies That Deadly Submission Hold. But since titles can't change hands via disqualification (and with Vicki out, as mentioned previously) there's no one to hand him the belt or re-start the match, so the title's held up until ONS. At which point it's revealed that ONS is all extreme rules, making it impossible to DQ Taker for the choke.

King Kamala Classic: I like to think I'm generally optimistic regarding the product but for the love of god, END THIS NOW! With each twist and turn, this feud has gotten progressively less interesting and just more convoluted. This shit sucks. The match itself will be pretty good. The optimist in me thinks The Undertaker will clean and blow off the feud, the pessimist in me think there will be a screwy finish and they'll have the blowoff at ONS or Night of Champions. I'll say Undertaker wins cleanly but who does he go on to face next?

909: Chavo.

millenniumman831:Big Show

Old Skool: Chavo & Edge, handicap for the title to tease La Familia tension.

King Kamala Classic as long as it isn't Khali...

909: I think Big Show is the guy.I sure would like to see what Edge does next. There's not a whole lot.

ConnMan520 (9:02:17 PM): do you think Big Show would do his 718th turn and be a heel? Or be face Vs face.

millenniumman831 :Tweener vs face "Do what I have to do" Big Show

Oldskool: tweener vs tweener, Taker doesn't do anything to be a face besides wrestling heels. It's just a match, there won't be any alignments if that's the direction they take it.

King Kamala Classic even though their past matches have all kind of sucked, I'd be intrigued to see The Big Show-Taker and I can't explain why

Oldskool: The first time since his comeback Big Show faces somebody that can actually work.

millenniumman831: Cause Show is being built like Godzilla

909: I just want to see that because it's sorta fresh. Fresh is good at this point in time, because things are so stagnant

Hunter's Torn Quad: Anything would be better than yet another match with Edge

King Kamala Classic I think that's something we all can agree on

Steel Cage match for the WWE title: Triple H © Vs Randy Orton

Hunter's Torn Quad: Would have been more interesting had they done some kind of angle on Raw, other than HHH standing tall over, literally, Orton. I know it would have been two weeks in a row with a similar angle, but they really should have had Orton bloody HHH up to end Raw. Something to make people better get into the idea of wanting to see HHH beat the shit out of Orton in the cage And they've done a terrible job of making it seem like this had to be a cage match. The stip seems thrown out there for no reason other than they just wanted to make a cage match. Regal turns out the lights, so it's a cage match now? It'll be the usual good match they have. Twenty minutes of a **** old-school bloodbath with lots of cage shots and the like. Hunter wins, of course.

millenniumman831 Much agreement there. Plus, Orton just went under the side of the cage and hit the floor. Is that supposed to = victory for Orton? Is that the only chance we are to believe he can win? I'm sure the match will be a good ol bloodbath like HTQ said but yeah, Orton has no chance, a zero out of 10 chance.

909: I like that it's a cage match, but really, it doesn't make much sense. HHH definitely wins the match after, let's say, 25 minutes. After all, there aren't many matches on this PPV. I see no reason this couldn't be as good as Last Man Standing, which I rated ****1/2. I can't wait for HHH/Regal.

Oldskool: Regal hasn't been involved in the PPV yet, at least by our accounts.He got back at Kennedy with the Snitsky match, he got back at Cena with the special guest referee at the last second, but he hasn't done anything with HHH. The 14 on 2 was the closest. Match goes about a half hour, they'll have plenty of time to kill because it's a six-match card. Regal slams the cage door on HHH, Orton then punts him on his way to the door himself to escape and take the belt back.

King Kamala Classic I don't know but I'm almost as excited for this match as HBK/Jericho. Despite the fact that it hasn't buildup worthy of a huge, blowoff cage match that it likely will be. I think Triple H wins in about 30 minutes in a very good, old school cage match. Both men will probably do blade jobs. The match will probably go **** maybe ****1/2. It seems like match tailor made for Triple H's style. Triple H goes on to feud with Regal and face him at ONS and maybe Night of Champions before he goes on to face Cena. Where is this show? Omaha? They don't get a lot of entertainment so they should be hot.

Oldskool Omaha indeed.

909: It's not like this card is stacked by any stretch, though.

King Kamala Classic: not really

909: The crowd could well be dead, after all, not like either of the main events are fresh matchups.

millenniumman831: This sounds like it should be a 3-hour Raw or something

King Kamala Classic: I think it'll be a good card though, wrestling-wise. Besides the women's match, I think every match has the potential to hit *** or higher.

millenniumman831 I meant heat wise, a 3hr Raw. I'm sure the rasslin will be solid

909: The wrestling looks good, but I just can't wait until the two main event programs are done. Then it'll be easier to be enthusiastic about the product.

King Kamala Classic: It's hard to gauge how hot the crowd will be since I don't think Omaha has held a PPV since In Your House: Good Friends, Better Enemies.

Hunter's Torn Quad: Theoretically, they should be hot from the beginning. But who can tell

Oldskool: They should be hot from the start, but I have a feeling they'll start with the women's triple threat and that'll quiet them right down.

millenniumman831: I'm sure the Burchill/Crazy squash before the ppv goes on the air will get the crowd in a frenzy

Oldskool: Burchill/Lea v. Crazy, you mean.

King Kamala Classic: I can't remember a time when a women's match opened a show. It seems like it always gets the nachos break slot.

909: The women's match will probably fill between edge/taker and the cage match

King Kamala Classic I'm going to guess Kane/CM Punk-Miz/Morrison opens

Oldskool: I guess I'd go tag titles, women's title, JBL/Cena, Edge/Taker, Jericho/Michaels and HHH/Orton.

King Kamala Classic: If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say; 1. Kane/CM Punk-Miz/Morrison 2. women's title 3. Edge/Taker 4. Jericho/Michaels, 5. JBL/Cena 6. Cage

Oldskool: There are less matches on this card than there are titles in the company. That's sad. I don't think they'd go with three Raw matches in a row, and I really don't like JBL/Cena fifth considering how shittily that's been built. Edge/Taker third I can't argue, that match has played out well beyond its shelf life.

909: This show looks like the best workrate show they've put on in a while. Looks like it.

JBL hasn't had, IMO, even a decent showing for himself since he came back.

It's on the undercard so it's not like they'll be dipping heavy into the blood and violence in the match...especially with a cage match on top.

That takes away the whole bag of tricks and leaves them working a straight wrestling match. Which at this stage isn't JBL's strong suit. That's more Mania 21 Cena/JBL and less I quit match Cena/JBL.

I'll be there! I know it will probably suck, but we haven't had a PPV since April 1996, IYH: Good Friends, Better Enemies, so I couldn't pass it up!

You didn't think the match with Finlay was decent? I thought it was a really good plunder match. And I actually like the Mania 21 match. It was shortchanged on time, thats why I included the caveat that it would be good if given time, but the work itself in the match was fine, not to mention Cena is about a million billion times better now. It should be a really fun, snugly worked, flesh pounding brawl. Thats why it'll be better than HBK/Y2J, who have probably the two weakest offenses of all the main eventers. Not to mention that match probably won't have a clean finish with the Batista thing.

I thought the match with Finlay was fine for what it was asked to be...but it had nothing to really do with JBL doing much of anything. Going in I know I was hoping for a stiff brawl...and they went WCW hardcore division instead, which was disapointing. It's been a little while since Mania...and all I remember about the match is JBL hitting Finlay with a trash can lid when he dove out of the ring and JBL throwing a trash can at Hornswaggle.

You guys vastly underrated how great Cena/JBL could be if given time

I think it would be great if given time. But it is not going to be given time.

Man, look.

CM Punk is loosing alot, so that when he cashes in the MITB and wins a title, it'll be the big babyface overcoming the odds and finally pulling some shit off. He's not being burried.

Edge, RVD, Kennedy, all of these dudes got pinned by lower card guys then themselves when they had the MITB.

Relax. Punk is who they're going to market to kids in the big children's magazine/let's start marketing to kids again thing they just started. He's fine.

Besides, HHH likes him, so he should be good to go.

I think the match getting any time would make it worse. JBL is awful and looks out of shape. I see this being more like the Wrestlemania 21 match rather than the Judgment Day match.

I don't know if that's really true. Punk seems to have heat on him a lot due to his personality and sXe lifestyle

You guys vastly underrated how great Cena/JBL could be if given time, and you overrated how good Y2J/HBK will be. Neither of those is a surprise.

What did you expect?

I think JBL/Cena is going be a awesome 9-11 minute brawl with Cena getting the win.

I think HBK/Y2J will have a lot of shitty punches and chops, but will have a fantastic finish. Because that is one of the honestly "great" things HBK does. He is a genius at taking it home, but what we're going to get between the times, is what I’m not looking forward to. In all likelihood there is going to be some tedious chain wrestling, that evolves in to some shitty brawl, which will lead to a big HBK bump, which will lead in to Y2J holding HBK in the Walls for 3 minutes, and then the big HBK flash SCM finish, or a Batista run in that leads to a disqualifications or some shit. HBK will make this match good, all Jericho has to do is not fuck anything up.

It'd be great if HBK/Jericho were setting Batista up for a major swerve.

Taker/Edge is going to be good, but I think I'm on the "end this feud" bandwagon.

HHH/Orton might easily be match of the night, and should be a MOTYC. Hunter wins, but I wouldn't be shocked if Orton steals it.

Punk/Kane vs Miz/Morrison. Punk turns on Kane, wins the ECW title and is welcomed in to the Palace of Wisdom.

or

King Kamala Classic I don't agree with CM Punk's post MITB booking but at the same time, I think it's kind of ridiculous to think he and Kane WON'T win this one. Especially since as oldskool says WWE loves odd couple pairings. CM Punk and Kane win in about ten minutes in a fun but kind of forgettable match only to lose them at ONS to set up a ECW title Vs MITB match at Night of Champions.

I think the match getting any time would make it worse. JBL is awful and looks out of shape. I see this being more like the Wrestlemania 21 match rather than the Judgment Day match.

I don't know if that's really true. Punk seems to have heat on him a lot due to his personality and sXe lifestyle

I don't think his SXE lifestyle is hurting him, actually I think that's the only reason they deal with him. I think him being a smart ass with the agents, might be hurting him.

I read in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that a lot of his questionable booking when he started was because he wouldn't drink with the boys due to his sXe lifestyle

I read in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that a lot of his questionable booking when he started was because he wouldn't drink with the boys due to his sXe lifestyle

Interesting I read he had beef with a few agents (Double A to be specific), because they thought he was sloppy and tried to give him pointers, but his response to them was “I must be doing something right, because I'm over". I think Bix has the whole story scanned somewhere.

Has this been in the recent issues?

It wouldn't shock me about Punk. They killed Matt Striker's initial push he got from hanging with Kurt Angle during his hometown hero challenge when he declined an invite from JBL to go out drinking after a show.

With Big Show vs. Mark Henry, it seems a obvious that Show wins in virtual squash.

People who knew Matt Striker before he entered WWE said he was likely to get heat in record time because of how he carried himself.

I don't get why some people seem to think JBL is, or has ever been, any semblance of a decent worker. In his entire career can anyone tell me a remotely decent **1/2 match he has had in a standard wrestling match? He had a miracle match with Cena in the I Quit, but that was a crazy hardcore brawl that can cover his limitations. The only other remotely decent JBL matches I can think of involved Eddie Guerrero doing the work of 2 men (the bloodbath match and the cowbell match).

As far as this show goes, I will actually take JBL via some nefarious means since HHH will need a challenger soon. Obviously no way HHH is jobbing to Orton....hell they just got the belt OFF Orton, no way they are insane enough to put it back on him.

Big Show over Mark Henry.

Mickie James over Melina and Beth.

Jericho over Michaels with a Batista run in, which has almost been announced as having to happen.

Miz/Morrison over Kane/Punk. I know both guys jobbed to Miz/Morrison on ECW, but them winning the tag belts just makes no real sense. Maybe it could happen to pop the crowd and then lose em back, but that's about it.

I think Edge/UT ends in some goofy non finish that sets up a final blowoff in a TLC match or something at ONS. They need some sort of big stipulation match for a finish to this feud, but they really need to blow this off since the Vicki crap has gotten way out of hand. Get her off TV, let Edge cut the vicious heel promo on her we all know has to happen (where he will bury her and rant on how he used her to get to the top), and put Long back in as GM. Right now SD desperately needs a new GM since all 3 shows are doing the SAME heel GM schtick. There needs to be one sane authority figure somewhere in WWE.

JBL is far from a bad worker? I would like to know, how was Eddie "doing the work of 2 men" in his matches with JBL? What is a example of JBL not holding up his end of the deal in those matches with Eddie? JBL has also had very good matches with Mysterio, Benoit, Taker, and Finlay. He is very decent in the ring, and draws great heat. There aren't many heels in the industry better than JBL. He always brings the goods at Judgement Day, this will be no different.

JBL had THREE great matches with Eddie, a fantastic match with Rey at Judgment Day, a shockingly good cage match with Big Show, was probably the MVP of a really good six-pack elimination match in 2005, and some pretty damn cool but short matches with Child Murderer. And, of course, the Cena match. Keep in mind JBL had an incredibly short run as a singles wrestler so thats a pretty good resume.

I'm not saying the guy is on the level of a Finlay or a Matt Hardy or a John Cena, but I've always been a mark for his style. He has a freakin awesome ability to put heat on himself in the match and add to its intensity(see the Rey match). I know he hasn't been the same in the ring since his return but keep in mind he's in there with freakin John Cena. Cena can light a fire in his ass. I wish it was the main event program cuz then it would get the time and the gimmicks and not be limited to protect the higher matches on the card.

I don't think JBL is a ring general but I think he's a capable one and is certainly carryable. Honestly, I've had a small soft spot for the guy since the Justin Hawk Bradshaw days.

As for Big Show/Mark Henry, I think Show wins a relatively short match. It seems like they're building him up for 'Taker or Edge. Mark Henry, like he has been in 11 1/2 of his 12 years in wrestling, is really going nowhere.

I remember that cage match with Big Show being very boring, with a horrible screwjob ending. Plus, the barb wire barely came into his play.

I also strongly disliked his two PPV matches with Taker. The only JBL singles match besides the I Quit match with Cena that I really liked was his match with Booker, and that was overbooked to hell.

If the Y2J/HBK match is anywhere near as good as their WM19 outing, we should have a great match on our hands. It will more than likely been MOTN.