TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

3 Doors Down and Staind: THE THREAD

3 Doors Down was actually really good when I saw them on tour with Tantric and Lifehouse in 2001. I still have a place in my heart for them and Staind. Bands like that are enjoyable, inoffensive pop-rock, but I think the main reason people get sick of them (those who don't hate them in the first place, anyhow) is the fact that they, like Nickelback, recycle the same tired (yet marketable) formula.

They have sucking tendencies, but I still have a guilty pleasure thing for Private Eyes.

Is there a whip-crack sound in the chorus to "Private Eyes," or am I just imagining it?

Guest Smues

The only Staind song that I've heard (that I know of) is that 'It's been awhile' garbage. And I mainly remember that one because one time I was riding in my friends car with him and his girlfriend, and the song came on and she started crying. I shot him a look of confusion and he explained that she was crying because it was 'their song.' I then explained that I was crying because the song sucked.

Edit: Oh, and 3 Doors Down is really, really awful.

Guest Desensitized
They have sucking tendencies, but I still have a guilty pleasure thing for Private Eyes.

Is there a whip-crack sound in the chorus to "Private Eyes," or am I just imagining it?

Handclaps, my man.

The only Staind song that I've heard (that I know of) is that 'It's been awhile' garbage. And I mainly remember that one because one time I was riding in my friends car with him and his girlfriend, and the song came on and she started crying. I shot him a look of confusion and he explained that she was crying because it was 'their song.' I then explained that I was crying because the song sucked.

Edit: Oh, and 3 Doors Down is really, really awful.

I'll admit that I dug that song until it got MURDERED with overplay in these parts. Once I was like, Hmmm I don't want to hear this song now and then I tried every other contemporary rock station in Northern Utah and they all had it playing simultaneously. Fortunately the Classic Rock had Sweet Child O'Mine blazing so I could escape.

Actually I can't name another Stain'd song other that "It's Been Awhile."

3 Doors Down = Not that bad in small portions.

I never realized how popular Three Doors Down was. Did you know their first album was certified quintuple-platinum within a year and a half of its release? I never thought "Kryptonite" was that strong a single but I guess it really took with the record-buying public.

I never realized how popular Three Doors Down was. Did you know their first album was certified quintuple-platinum within a year and a half of its release? I never thought "Kryptonite" was that strong a single but I guess it really took with the record-buying public.

The album had quite a few strong singles that did well and carried the record's momentum. "Loser", "Be Like That", "Duck And Run" were all in the top 10-20 of the modern rock charts back then.

I cant wait for the new CD out this tuesday..Ive heard a lot of good things about it. XM played their Artist Confidential 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed the 2 or 3 songs that they played off of it.

I wasnt too happy with their last CD "Seventeen Days".

I knew it was that popular due to the fact that my dad bought that album. That's one of maybe a dozen albums he's bought that've been released in the past decade.

My mom once told me she thought the name "Three Doors Down" was dumb because the group had five members.

It was originally just 3 guys (Brad/Matt/Todd). Off the artist confidential I learned the name doesn't mean anything anyway.

I'll be honest, I don't mind 3DD's self titled debut at all. "Loser" was a nice track as was "Not Enough". I haven't really listened to much past that other than they seem to be the official band for the US Army.

Oh and Staind's first album (technically their second) wasn't that bad and Break The Cycle isn't bad when you first listen to it either, I agree that radio (and other forms of media) killed it but that's what happens to all popular shit. It's funny how every first single off the Staind albums following BTC sounded exactly like "It's Been Awhile".

3DD's new album's the self titled one. the debut album was entitled The Better Life, just to clarify.

and its the National Guard, not the Army although they are big supporters of the military in general. They did a performance at the Nascar Sprint All Star Race and were somewhere on Dale Jrs #88 National Guard Car. They were also on Dale Jrs #8 car back in 2005 at the Chevy Rock and Roll 400 in Richmond.

I knew it was that popular due to the fact that my dad bought that album. That's one of maybe a dozen albums he's bought that've been released in the past decade.

Be Like That was also remixed and was the official song to the second American Pie movie. I remember Kryptonite being all over radio and tv at the time.

Loser was the best song, but I can pretty much listen to that whole album all the way through.

Staind's first LP was awesome, and I can pretty much do the same with it.

After that Arron Lewis(?) got clean, so that why there was a big change in thier sound. That and they found a good formula with thier second album, same as 3 doors down did and they stuck with it.

My mom loves both bands these days, so there ya go. That's thier demographic and they're reaching it, so good for them.

Also, I saw 3 Doors down and Staind during my go to at least one concert every two weeks period. They both put on a good show, especially Staind.

Guest Desensitized

For all of the weirdness that we ascribe to Marvin, he's actually painfully middlebrow.

In the plotting recent rock history, where was the point at which grunge died off and this sort of thing became the preeminent form of mainstream rock music? Or is this just a natural progression from grunge?

I'm guessing that it's the latter, and that these groups are just the next generation of some of the less savory acts that popped up from 92-94, like Alice in Chains, STP, Collective Soul, Filter, Candlebox, etc. If you mark 1995 on your calendar as the year crap broke, that means we're now 13 years into the dominance of this type of leaden, depressive hard rock on mainstream radio. That's pretty remarkable.

Guest Desensitized

I believe Filter, Nickelback, Creed, the Foo Fighters, and others are considered "post-grunge." I don't know how or why we've been in this holding pattern, but you're right, it's been the same old downtuned uninspiring sludge for years now.

The interesting thing about reading about 3 Doors Down and Staind is that it has the same effect on me as hearing their music: instead of read about/listened to, it feels more lived through. Have 10 years passed since I began reading these apologetic takes on these bands?

The bros and sorority girls of the world will never get tired of these soft verse/heavy chorus grunge-esque ballads. It's a pretty magical formula.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I believe Filter, Nickelback, Creed, the Foo Fighters, and others are considered "post-grunge." I don't know how or why we've been in this holding pattern, but you're right, it's been the same old downtuned uninspiring sludge for years now.

Look at big hair. Figure, what, Kiss-92? 10-15 years is pretty typical for rock music eras.. 1950 to Beatles, it was Rock n' Roll. Psychedelic bullshit from 66-mid 70's...

This crap's on the way out the door. I think it's all going to get really girly.

I just saw Staind, as they were second headliner under STP at a Rock Festival in Camden, NJ. Aaron Lewis is the worst live performer in the history of music.

Guest Desensitized
"Girly" like coked-up L.A. rock dudes in drag? Or "girly" like sensitive and thoughtful?

A little of both. Coked up sensitive thoughtful guys in drag. We're going to be inundated with Pete Wentz clones, if we aren't already. That's the new normal.

Perhaps surprisingly, I count myself as a Foo Fighters fan. I wouldn't lump them in with those other terrible bands (although that "nice shot" song is passable).