TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 5/19 - 5/25

It's really a no win situation ... there are fans that would want the network to cut in for something like a no-hitter or a 4th home run in one game ... and there are fans that hate the idea of cutting in for something like that. Really, doing a split screen would be the best choice, because it would piss EVERYONE off instead of just one side or the other.

And, really, I have no issue with Czech or anyone else being pissed that they cut into the game that they were watching and enjoying - it sucks when you're watching a game and they show something else. I do, however, find it difficult to consider a game that's not even a third of the way through a 162 game season "important".

Games in May count just as much as games in September.

You're right, a win is a win regardless of what month it occurs in.

But that doesn't mean that they're as important in the grand scheme of things. Lose a game (or some momentum) now, and you have 120 games to make up ground. Lose a game (and momentum) in September and, well, you don't.

Of course, ESPN would probably flip away from a game to show the last inning of a no-hitter even if it was in September.

I can't recall; did ESPN break in to show the final out of Anibal Sanchez's no-no back in '06?

Yeah, IIRC one of the final outs was a bang bang play at first that looked like it was a hit. I remember thinking that it was cool to see that ref have to make a call on the spot knowing that he'd have to take a no hitter away if he called the runner safe.

Guest Desensitized

Here's why it was an important game.

1. The Cubs have struggled in their small share of road games, and this would've put them at .500 on the road, quieting fallacious "they only beat the Pirates" talk

2. Alfonso Soriano and Lance Berkman are the hottest hitters in the game, and Chicago and Houston feature two of baseball's best offenses.

3. The Astros are defying expectations early on and challenging the predicted divisional leaders.

Here's why it was a very good game:

1. A catcher hit an inside-the-park home run

2. Jim Edmonds made a fantastic catch on the goofy-ass contrived hill to prevent Houston from responding in kind.

3. Carlos Marmol made an outstanding relief appearance to strand the inherited runners and prevent Houston from taking a late-inning lead.

My life as a baseball fan is not enhanced by seeing the last three outs of a no hitter and hearing Don Orsillo yell/growl "Jawn Lesterrrr has a no-hitterrr" like a fratboy taking a shit. I got no excitement out of it, because I didn't watch all 27 outs unfold, I just had my game of choice interrupted to see the last three. Out of context, it's an inning of a baseball game, tantamount to showing me pictures of food, serving me some cheesecake, and telling me what an exquisite six-course meal I just ate. Imagine if any of the aforementioned events that made last night's game great went unseen just so we could watch some Red Sock make a couple outs. This could've been an even bigger mishandling than it already was.

And yes, a game in May is as important as one in September, especially one against a hot division rival. The breakdown of important games, if there is such a thing, goes divisional > interdivisional > interleague; not September > August, and so on down the line.

Obviously if this was a Cubs no-hitter and I bitched about ESPN cutting into a May Red Sox-Royals game, Czech would be all over me with the "Boston isn't the center of the universe" spiel.

Bottom line: In those precious, season-changing innings people didn't see (which was at most, an inning and a half, I believe), the Cubs padded their lead by two runs and Houston went down 1-2-3 in their half. I can see how this destroys the fabric of baseball. Nobody missed the Edmonds catch or the inside the park homer.

Guest Desensitized

Why does it matter that it's May? The month means nothing.

I don't mind the cut-ins on things like that because it is happening live. There is a bit of tension or drama. ESPN knows that viewers have been conditioned now to turn it to ESPN if they hear about something big possibly happening. More viewers, more money, and more publicity of being the sports channel(s) to turn to should something be in the works. It is different than watching it unfold on SportsCenter, because you have a) likely already heard about it, and b) they typically tell you about it before they show it to you. That is the same as reading about it in the paper. Watching it happen before my very eyes usually gets me into the moment, and excited or disappointed depending on the outcome.

Guest Desensitized
Obviously if this was a Cubs no-hitter and I bitched about ESPN cutting into a May Red Sox-Royals game, Czech would be all over me with the "Boston isn't the center of the universe" spiel.

Hey, look. If you want to bust me for hypocrisy, that's great. I made a thread for people to do just that. But you can't try to call me on hypothetical hypocrisy. Don't tell me what you think I'd say, especially since I think I've made it clear that it's the principle of a nationally featured game going unbroadcast when ESPN has a second channel available to show one game or the other. I don't feel the need for the Cubs' games to impose upon other people's scheduled baseball viewing.

I wish I could have been at Yankee stadium tonight..darn it.

And to think I thought the rain all day would have washed it out.

Olson vs Rasner tomorrow night!

I just walked out to get some ice with my hat on and got some real dirty looks from a couple of people haha

My life as a baseball fan is not enhanced by seeing the last three outs of a no hitter and hearing Don Orsillo yell/growl "Jawn Lesterrrr has a no-hitterrr" like a fratboy taking a shit. I got no excitement out of it, because I didn't watch all 27 outs unfold, I just had my game of choice interrupted to see the last three. Out of context, it's an inning of a baseball game, tantamount to showing me pictures of food, serving me some cheesecake, and telling me what an exquisite six-course meal I just ate. Imagine if any of the aforementioned events that made last night's game great went unseen just so we could watch some Red Sock make a couple outs. This could've been an even bigger mishandling than it already was.

And yes, a game in May is as important as one in September, especially one against a hot division rival. The breakdown of important games, if there is such a thing, goes divisional > interdivisional > interleague; not September > August, and so on down the line.

Just because it doesn't enhance your life as a baseball fan, or doesn't give you any excitement, doesn't mean that it's irrelevant to everyone. Perhaps the majority of people would prefer to see the final three outs of a no-hitter; evidently ESPN feels that the majority of people would prefer to see those outs, as if they thought that they'd be pissing off the majority they wouldn't do it. (for instance, I can't see them cutting into an NBA playoff game to show the final 3 outs of a no-hitter.)

And you forgot one comparison in your "breakdown of important games". Part of a no hitter > part of another game.

with both kenny rogers and nate robertson having bloated eras over 6....with age going against them, placing dontrelle willis into the bullpen is very very frustrating. those two pitchers are very painful to watch right now. its the stubborness of leyland that occasionally hurts this squad. i don't think dfa'ing kenny rogers would really hurt them in the least. at all.

with both kenny rogers and nate robertson having bloated eras over 6....with age going against them, placing dontrelle willis into the bullpen is very very frustrating. those two pitchers are very painful to watch right now. its the stubborness of leyland that occasionally hurts this squad. i don't think dfa'ing kenny rogers would really hurt them in the least. at all.

Willis wouldn't be any better. He might be worse. His control has become non-existant. He's on an express train out of the majors if he keeps going the way he's been going the last couple of seasons.

Willis wouldn't be any better. He might be worse. His control has become non-existant. He's on an express train out of the majors if he keeps going the way he's been going the last couple of seasons.

maybe

but i think he's young enough and has the track record to warrant another chance over kenny rogers. and nate robertson.

and i too want that grilli rant. its funny, leyland supported that worthless fuck for the longest time, and now. haha. grilli was pitching alright at the time of his release, but two years worth of ineptitude overuled it.

Guest Smues

Someone died at Turner Field last night after falling 150 feet. Don't fuck with The Braves!

Oh, and alcohol is believed to be involved. Color me surprised.

Guest Smues

Link

ATLANTA -- A 25-year-old man died after suffering fatal head injuries at Turner Field near the conclusion of Wednesday night's game between the Braves and the Mets.

According to The Associated Press, the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office identified the man as Justin Hayes of Cumming, Ga.

A release issued by the Braves late Wednesday morning said: "The Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Police Department are investigating the tragic accident that resulted in the death of a 25-year-old male fan at last night's game. Our sincerest and heartfelt condolences go out to his family."

It's believed that Hayes fell approximately 150 feet from the Lexus Level to Field Level concourse behind home plate. He and a small group of friends were apparently exiting the stadium via the staircase.

While the Braves and Atlanta Police Department are still investigating, there is a belief that Hayes may have been sliding down the handrails before falling approximately four levels.

The updated article that mentioned that alcohol was involved for some reason wouldn't let me copy/paste, so you get the older one!

Here's a CBS Sportsline fluff piece on Rick Ankiel, who came to the plate for the first time since injuring his knee a few days ago and smacked his eighth home run of the year. An excerpt below, with some information that I wasn't necessarily aware of:

Of that torturous time, here's the only thing Ankiel wants -- demands -- that you know: He beat the control problems. It was the arm soreness that did him in.

Yessir, one year after his second-place finish in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting (Rafael Furcal won), Ankiel was named as the Class A Appalachian League Pitcher of the Year. Made the All-Star team as both a pitcher and a designated hitter.

Then came the injuries and, once he fought through those, he points to a couple of numbers from his line at Class A Palm Beach in 2004, his final season as a pitcher: 11 strikeouts, zero walks in 8 2/3 innings of work.

"A lot of people don't know that," Ankiel says.

Small sample size, sure. But something to hold onto. Numbers that help put his mind at ease.

Anyway, it was during the winter following that season, Ankiel still chasing after his pitching career, when a nerve problem flared up in his elbow while he was playing in Puerto Rico. He came back to spring training, received treatment, tried pitching through it and, sick of the pain, sick of running into closed doors ... it was on March 9, 2005, that he announced his retirement from pitching.

I knew that he had run into arm injuries up to the 2004 season, but his return to the majors in 2004 (which was conveniently left out of this article) had mixed results. In ten innings, he struck out nine batters and only walked one batter, but he had an ERA in the fives and he also managed to bean Dave Krynzel in the head in the last game of the season. Why the local media didn't play up arm injuries as the issue, instead of letting most of Cardinal fandom wonder if Ankiel was cracking under pressure again, is beyond me.