TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

William Regal Suspended for 60 Days

Hey, speaking of Signature, here's something that was never answered to my satisfaction. Randy Orton was among those named in that deal, right? Yet he wasn't suspended at all. The WWE claimed that he'd already admitted his wrongdoing on that specific issue in the past, and had already served the sentence. It was at least his second drug offense, so it would've been a sixty-day suspension. One problem: has Orton ever served a sixty-day suspension, at any time in the past two years? I certainly can't recall him ever being out for that long.

Also never answered to my satisfaction:

Both Booker T and Batista, after being named in the scandal, solidly denied their involvement. Booker was given a sixty-day suspension, while Batista was given... the World Championship. What gives?

I'm sure they talk to the wrestlers in question before giving out the suspensions, and give them a chance to explain. Thus ruling out any mistakes like "Taking the wrong suppliments" or "Not having the prescription on hand".

I'm sure they talk to the wrestlers in question before giving out the suspensions, and give them a chance to explain. Thus ruling out any mistakes like "Taking the wrong suppliments" or "Not having the prescription on hand".

Guess that "King" excuse didn't work any better for Booker than it did for Regal. Plus, they weren't planning on making Booker champion either.

Jim Ross has commented on Regal's suspension at his website:

Tuesday’s announcement that William Regal has been suspended for 60 days from the WWE is regrettable on many fronts. When I was in charge of the WWE talent roster a few years ago we sent Regal to drug rehab as he struggled to overcome his issues. Regal eventually became a success story as he cleaned himself up and got on with his life and career. In recent years, Regal has been a hard working, reliable and viable member of the talent roster. As a talent perhaps even to the point of being under utilized in the eyes of some. I do not know the details of his recent 60 day suspension but I do not think that Regal has "fallen off the wagon" and retreated to his misdirected ways of years gone by. Nonetheless, something went awry and the WWE Wellness Program, which is more thorough and organized than ever before, dropped the hammer on the talented Brit. With no pay for 60 days, two strikes against him and a family to care for, Regal finds himself in a challenging position. Some weak minded individuals could "poor me" it and say to hell with it and revert back to those aforementioned issues, but, I do not think Regal fits into that category.

This should be a great lesson for every one on the roster….be careful of every thing one ingests, including over the counter supplements that might contain even traces of banned substances. Education again becomes a key term in this issue as it is incumbent on each individual with which this program applies to know what is banned and what is not.

Inevitably some wrestlers will always continue to try and "beat the system" and eventually they will be caught and punished. My gut wants to say that William Regal was not intentionally trying to beat the system, but nonetheless the blood work doesn’t lie.

I know that Regal has many peers who are pulling for him to return better than ever in 60 days and I count myself among them.

Damn it! I can't believe Regal fucked up again! He was the best part of RAW!

There is an unconfirmed, strictly-rumored report that Regal tested positive for some sort of female hormone pills used to even out the effects of jamming yourself with steroids. It was the same stuff John Morrison got busted for during the Signature Pharmacy suspensions.

Just a guess, but that may stem from the report of what he was busted for during the Signature situation. Among some of the steroids, he had an anti-estrogen, IIRC. Nolvadex is one of the more popular anti-estrogens out there, and you can get it OTC at GNC or rather easily on the internet. It is legal, obviously, but unless someone has an abnormally high estrogen level, the only reason they would take it is to eliminate getting "bitch tits" while taking steroids.

As a fellow addict, I can really sympathize with people who relapse on drugs and alcohol that get you high. For the non-addict, the behavior just seems like pure idiocy, but it's a disease that can come back and hit you even when you're at your the best. (I think the pressure of a major push also helps people to use as well.) Wrestling seems like a biz were alcohol flows freely. Booze is still a drug, and after having a few beers with the boys its so easy to take some illegal drugs. But if it's just roids for ascetic purposes I have far less sympathy. I know a certain look is needed in this biz, and I'm pissed obvious roiders like Batista, HHH, and Cena never get caught for SOME reason, but roids aren't a physical or physiological need.

But if it's just roids for ascetic purposes I have far less sympathy. I know a certain look is needed in this biz, and I'm pissed obvious roiders like Batista, HHH, and Cena never get caught for SOME reason, but roids aren't a physical or physiological need.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but Regal doesn't look roided up, IMO. I don't think he's EVER looked roided up from what I recall.

As for HHH, I can't be the only one who's noticed how much smaller and leaner he's gotten over the past few months. Methinks he's off the juice (for now at least).

I personally don't think Cena's on the juice. Everybody except him is getting smaller in the last year or so. Tista and Trips are both way smaller than years past. Others like Snitsky, Kennedy, Orton, all look way thinner. Cena's the exception. Methinks he was telling the truth on ole CNN.

Cena doesn't look like a monster to me. He's muscled out, yes, but he's not huge nor does he look like a small guy with muscles about to bust through his skin like Guerrero and Benoit. I'd be shocked if he was on steroids. He's been a gym freak since high school, but unlike Benoit and Guerrero, has looked like that since high school.

I don't know, he came back from a serious upper body injury in 3 months, looking the same as he did pre-injury.

That's pretty damn hard to do without some 'assistance'.

If J.R. is telling the truth in his blog, then Regal just had too many over the counter supplements that contain a small amount of something they test for. If that's true, then cool but that sucks for him.

If he slipped up, relapsed, whatever you wanna call it, then that sucks even worse. Regal seemed really serious about staying clean, so I wish him the best.

Addiction is fucking terrible. I'm 18 months clean, the longest I've been since Jr. High, and at times it's a bitch to deal with myself.

I was really looking forward to Regal getting the push he should have had in 2003. Hopefully Regal is alright, and dude can make a sucessful comeback.

A welcome quote from that article:

Cena, of course, has always insisted that he's steroid free, although the fact that he tore his pec off the bone (a common steroid injury) and was able to return approximately four months later (which is nearly impossible without the help of steroids) doesn't exactly help a lot of people take his word for it.

Cena isn't on some kind of hormonal supplement? Cone on guys. This is professional wrestling. Where everyone from Funaki to The Sandman to Ric Flair to Tammy Sytch all used steroids. You cannot tell that someone's not on them just by looking at them or because "they're smaller than they used to be". (If Viscera or Spike Dudley were taking, how would you know?) It's not like when you get on the gas you just get a brown paper bag with a big bottle that has a skull & crossbones on it and labeled "STEROIDS", and as soon as you take it you balloon in size. It's way more complicated than that.

I remember when Cena did the Iraq show, and despite his injury, he was the exact same size before. Contrast this with the other guys who lost a drastic amount of muscle mass after an injury and coming off roids. That leads me to believe he might be the genetic freak he claims to be and clean after all.

I'd say that's more of an argument that he was using. Nobody, period, can be in that kind of physical condition just a couple months after tearing their pectoral muscle completely off the bone. He's either got Logan's mutant healing factor or a hypodermic needle. Guess which one I'd bet on.

Which is one of about several loopholes in the testing policy which make continued steroid use possible.

1. For the company to test their performers' hormone levels, first they have to do a baseline test. This means the first piss test these guys took is considered to be their "normal" hormone levels. So you only test dirty if your hormone levels are weirder than they were the first time. That means if you were right in the middle of a steroid cycle the first time, you could keep taking the same amount and still not test positive.

2. Here it gets a little complicated, but I'll simplify it somewhat. Most steroid testing gives a result based on percentages of testosterone vs. estrogen in a person's bloodstream. If the testosterone is abnormally high, it's rated on a numeric scale. In drug testing for the Olympics, the NFL, and most major sports, a score of anything higher than a 4 is considered an automatic failure. In the WWE test, anything from a 4 to a 10 doesn't mean you failed the test, it just means you have to come back and get tested again. Only if you score about a 10 is that an automatic failure. In the WWE you can get away with 250% the amount of steroids which would get you punished in almost every other testing system.

3. As Frogg Ending pointed out, if you've got a prescription for whatever shit's in your system, you get an automatic pass. This is how all those guys who bought the drugs from online pharmacies got away with it until the federal investigation.

4. Even aside from all that, there are certain really expensive designer supplements, such as Human Growth Hormone, which don't show up on the WWE's tests.

5. And even aside from all THAT, they tweaked the testing procedure because some guys were using fake penises loaded with someone else's urine in order to pass the test. Seriously, that's what the wrestling mindset is like, some of the workers were on some shit which they were blatantly not supposed to be, even in this Post Benoit World.

6. Finally, the office seems like it is willing to ignore its own guidelines for punishments and do whatever the hell it feels like. You're only supposed to be fired after failing three tests, yet Test, Simonova Dean, Chris Masters, and Kurt Angle were all fired when they hadn't failed that many. Meanwhile, what is Orton on, his sixteenth or seventeenth chance now?

So between that and the fact that we know for sure that at least half the current roster has used 'em at some point or another, my base assumption for any given wrestler employed by the WWE is that I assume they're on steroids unless it can somehow be definitively proven otherwise. Like, it's likely that Colin Delaney and JBL are probably not using. But they still could be. Being on the gas doesn't automatically balloon you up into Quadruple H shape, and plenty of guys use it for non-size reasons anyway such as healing injuries and helping to keep in their current shape with less time in the gym.

Well, that makes wonder something. Is it possible the "drug policy suspension" is really storyline? At first, I thought that WWE was cracking down, but now that I think about it, the last few suspensions did not really affect any storylines. Jeff Hardy not being in Money in the Bank didn't kill it. And the Regal angle was getting annoying anyway. And they don't mention the suspensions on TV. When people have to drop the title due to injury, it is mentioned on TV. I don't know.

A welcome quote from that article:

Cena, of course, has always insisted that he's steroid free, although the fact that he tore his pec off the bone (a common steroid injury) and was able to return approximately four months later (which is nearly impossible without the help of steroids) doesn't exactly help a lot of people take his word for it.

Cena isn't on some kind of hormonal supplement? Cone on guys. This is professional wrestling. Where everyone from Funaki to The Sandman to Ric Flair to Tammy Sytch all used steroids. You cannot tell that someone's not on them just by looking at them or because "they're smaller than they used to be". (If Viscera or Spike Dudley were taking, how would you know?) It's not like when you get on the gas you just get a brown paper bag with a big bottle that has a skull & crossbones on it and labeled "STEROIDS", and as soon as you take it you balloon in size. It's way more complicated than that.

Jose Canseco disagrees.