TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Desert Island Draft Thread

Much hatred in your general direction, CG.

Damn you and your similar taste to mine. Both those matches were in my next five possible drafts.

Still got 3 but I'm hurting.

With my next pick, I'm taking a match maybe not so high on quality, but that delivered on entertainment...

The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan

WrestleMania X8, Icon vs. Icon

rockhulk.jpg

Even if you're not a huge Hulk Hogan fan, the reaction from the crowd in Toronto is still something special. I think at this point it was beyond a WWF crowd to be expected to boo Hulk Hogan for being a heel, especially at WrestleMania. Nostalgia took over and it was a true memorable WrestleMania match because of it.

takermichaels.jpg

HBK vs. The Undertaker "Hell In The Cell" In Your House, Badd Blood, October 5th, 1997

The classic first "Hell In The Cell"(or is it "Hell In A Cell"?) Anyway, fantastic work by both Michaels and Taker, beating the holy hell out of one another. HBK getting tossed into the cage time and again, Taker getting piledriven on the steel steps, lots of creative moves focusing around the cage, also Shawn's bladejob mid-move as he's getting slingshot into the cage is great and who can forget that this is the first appearance of Kane? With Vince screaming "THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE!!!" Overall, a fun gimmick match that's been brought back time and time again, usually resulting in a good match.

Nice pick -- one of many I was considering -- but a minor quibble:

With J.R. screaming "BY GAWD, THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE!!!"

That would've been good, but it was Vince who said that.

Oops....Haven't watched it in a while, I must have been thinking of one of the other times JR was screaming "THROUGH HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE!!!"

With my next pick, I'm getting one of my favorite WWE Title matches of all time. Throw in the pre and post match promos and you've got a classic here. Wrestlemania 8. April 5th, 1992. World Title Match. Ric Flair vs. Macho Man Randy Savage!

wrestling_flair_macho_man.jpg

Summerslam 1994

WWF Champion Bret Hart vs Owen Hart

47.jpg

My favourite cage match of all time, in any variation (cell, cage, wargames) and definately a top five match.

Great wrestling, great storytelling, this match had everything.

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka

ECW One Night Stand

New York City, NY

June 12, 2005

The inaugural One Night Stand show was one of the most unforgettable productions that WWE has ever put on. While the show itself was very good and very reminiscent of what made ECW great, one match in particular stands out on its own in terms of making the viewer forget that they were even watching a "reunion show." While Tanaka and Awesome tore down the house, it felt just like old times. Like it was 1999 and these guys were fighting over the ECW Championship.

With one match, Mike Awesome managed to win back the hearts of ECW loyalists (after a very sour departure from the company some five years earlier), in what most consider the in-ring highlight of the best show of the year.

023awesometanaka_edited.jpg

Great pick. Before ONS I had never been an ECW fan or even watched much ECW programming, but that match got me hooked.

Thank you.

I love that Awesome/Tanaka pick. It truly was, to me, the last feeling of an ECW match that I ever had...and it came years after you'd ever think to feel it.

That whole show was fun, but that was the match that just MADE it for me. 2 non-WWE guys killing themselves in an ECW ring.

Curse you, Franchise! I suppose it would have been greedy of me to have both big Bret vs. Owen matches.

Anyway, with my next pick, I choose:

ww89.JPG

Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair - NWA World Title - WrestleWar 1989: Music City Showdown - May 7, 1989

You can't go wrong with the Flair/Steamboat 1989 trilogy.

While I think this match could come back to me, I watch it a lot, and would hate it if it did get picked up.

With my 2nd pick I select:

post-2806-1212256184.gif

Mick Foley v. Edge/Hardcore Match/Wrestlemania 22

Its funny, I didn't really love the buildup, but the match has some great spots like the pic above, Hardcore Socko, Edge taking the Extreme Acupuncture and the finish.

While I think this match could come back to me, I watch it a lot, and would hate it if it did get picked up.

With my 2nd pick I select:

post-2806-1212256184.gif

Mick Foley v. Edge/Hardcore Match/Wrestlemania 22

Its funny, I didn't really love the buildup, but the match has some great spots like the pic above, Hardcore Socko, Edge taking the Extreme Acupuncture and the finish.

That was my co-MOTY for 2006.

1276780.200803070453079658.jpg

(sorry for the tiny picture)

CM Punk vs. Delirious

IWA-MS

No Blood, No Guts, No Glory

7/2/2005

It's not the best hour draw Punk has been in, of course, but it IS the most entertaining. Punk and Delirious play off of each other fantastically in this match. I probably could've gone a while without picking this one and it would've been safe, but to hell with it. And I include the full entrances and post-match promos.

1276780.200803070453079658.jpg

(sorry for the tiny picture)

CM Punk vs. Delirious

IWA-MS

No Blood, No Guts, No Glory

7/2/2005

It's not the best hour draw Punk has been in, of course, but it IS the most entertaining. Punk and Delirious play off of each other fantastically in this match. I probably could've gone a while without picking this one and it would've been safe, but to hell with it. And I include the full entrances and post-match promos.

Is that match on youtube or daily motion? I'll have to check it out.

No idea. It was the last in a best of 3 series and I think one of the first two are on Daily Motion but I haven't seen that particular match on either.

AGH. I really wanted Foley vs. Edge..though I guess now my second pick is a little bit easier. For my second pick, I choose a match featuring two of my favorites ever. Although I was hesitant to use HBK again so soon, I doubt this match will make it back around to me if I don't pick it now or a few picks from now. Therefore, I choose:

Kurt%20hbk.jpg

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 21

AGH. I really wanted Foley vs. Edge..though I guess now my second pick is a little bit easier. For my second pick, I choose a match featuring two of my favorites ever. Although I was hesitant to use HBK again so soon, I doubt this match will make it back around to me if I don't pick it now or a few picks from now. Therefore, I choose:

Kurt%20hbk.jpg

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 21

That's good stuff. It would have made my list, but I can live with somebody else appreciating it.

I had three matches slotted into this spot (the other two being Savage/Warrior and Flair/Savage). I didn't imagine that only one would be left when it came time for me to pick, and I had ranked it third out of the three, but it's still a really enjoyable match:

w100146044.jpg

WWF Championship match - Randy Savage [c] vs. Hulk Hogan, Wrestlemania V, April 2, 1989

Just a great psychological affair. The only thing I don't care for is the finish, since I really didn't see why Hogan couldn't just have moved out of the way of the big elbow instead of insisting on becoming The Guy Who Kicks Out Of Everyone's Finisher (With Authority!). Hogan's best match ever, and Jesse Ventura's finest moment on commentary. Includes a huge-ass recap of the entire Megapowers angle.

Ah good. Hopefully CC will get back soon for his next pick.

I have two upcoming in this slot.

Selection #1.

Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard - Steel cage, I Quit Match (Starrcade '85)

tully.gif

The next match I better take here as the 24/7 discussion will have people thinking of it.

Wargames 1992 (Wrestlewar)

No good image for that one, unfortunately.

Dammit, I was taking Wargames if it was still there. And I don't even go into the 24/7 threads.

Fortunately (and I don't know how this was overlooked, frankly), this match is still available:

Hart-Bulldog-92.jpg

WWF Intercontinental Championship match: Bret Hart [c] vs. British Bulldog, Summerslam, August 29, 1992

This next pick is so incredibly hard for me because there are about 4 matches I want and I know that the other three will all be gone by the time my turn comes around again. I guess I'm going to go with my 2007 Match of the Year:

2096869722_cfddce01f8.jpg

John Cena vs Umaga - Last Man Standing - Royal Rumble 2007