TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Desert Island Draft Thread

I can watch this next match over and over simply because of the amazing amount of reaction from the crowd to just about everything that happened. Kane's return right after the match makes it even better. For my 5th pick, I choose:

5441137.jpg

DX and the Radicalz vs. The Rock, Cactus Jack, and Too Cool - RAW - 2/7/00

christopher_daniels_2.jpg

Low-Ki vs. The American Dragon vs. Christopher Daniels

The Era of Honor Begins

The other of my favorite three-ways has been taken, so I go with my second choice. I'd heard of Christopher Daniels and seen him on Shotgun once or twice, but Low-Ki or Dragon I hadn't heard of going into this match. All three blew me away, and I've been a fan of all of them ever since. Also I wanted a Christopher Daniels match, and this is my favorite of his.

I think this pick could come back to me, but it is the last of my Top 10 matches, so I better pick it up now.

post-2806-1212610558.jpg

Brock Lesnar v. Eddie Guerrero/WWE Title Match/No Way Out '04/February 15, 2004

Its funny I was never too big of a fan of Eddie, but I loved the buildup to the match (SD! Royal Rumble, Brock Dancing) and the crowd was tremendous throughout the match.

Ooh, that last one hurt.

With my 5th round pick, I choose:

top-20-matches-in-wrestlemania-history-20070323040808263-000.jpg

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho - WWE WrestleMania XIX - March 30, 2003

Great back & forth matchup. Two of the best doing what they do best for 20+ minutes.

Love the post-match stuff as well ;)

For my fifth-round selection...

IWGP Tag Team Championship Match

The Steiners vs. Kensuke Sasaki & Hiroshi Hase.

NJPW/WCW Starrcade, March 21 1991, Tokyo, Japan

* no picture available *

You know you've seen it. Some of you might have found it on youtube, but a lot of you probably rented the Turner Home Video version of the original WCW New Japan Supershow, titled "Rumble in the Rising Sun," with a lot of hype surrounding the main event, and a long-awaited rematch that I won't name. But it was this match that tore the house down, cementing the legacy of Rick and Scott Steiner as one of the most exciting tag teams of all time.

One of my favorite tag team matches ever.

On behalf of the Franchise, his 5th pick:

post-2806-1212620499.jpg

Bret Hart v. Shawn Michaels/WWF Title Match/Survivor Series '97/November 9, 1997

With my 5th pick of the draft I am going away from the WWE and picking up one of the most talked about matches/events of all time. Post match antics are included of course. From Bash at the Beach 96: The Outsiders and Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage, Lex Luger, and Sting. Creation of the NWO. July 7, 1996

250px-NWoformationBATB96.jpg

I hate you.

I was saving that one thinking that, since the actual match wasn't a classic, it would slip from people's minds . The post-match stuff is still amazing as I saw it again two weeks ago.

I underestimated you. Well Done, CB. <_<

christopher_daniels_2.jpg

Low-Ki vs. The American Dragon vs. Christopher Daniels

The Era of Honor Begins

The other of my favorite three-ways has been taken, so I go with my second choice. I'd heard of Christopher Daniels and seen him on Shotgun once or twice, but Low-Ki or Dragon I hadn't heard of going into this match. All three blew me away, and I've been a fan of all of them ever since. Also I wanted a Christopher Daniels match, and this is my favorite of his.

What a fantastic match. This actually made me realise that there was life outside of the big feds as a 16 year old.

pillmanlyger1.jpg

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Lyger/WCW Light heavyweight Championship/Superbrawl 2/February 29th, 1992

Always considered one of the best opening matches on any PPV. A precursor to the cruiserweight division, this isn't as high flying as some of those matches were but this was just a great battle between two top talents. Pillman's best match and a fine effort by Lyger, they have the crowd fired up throughout, pulling off some high flying moves, submissions, and different pinning combinations.

Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect

King Of The Ring 1993, King Of The Ring Semi-Final Match

49.jpg

I was tempted to let this go another pick, since it's kind of a forgotten gem. A match I always preferred to their first match at Summerslam. That one had more historical significance, but this was probably the better wrestling match. Throw in the pre-match interview between the two just for the "my dad could beat your dad" arguement for good measure.

I'll take my first Rumble, since they're typically my favourite matches.

The 2001 Royal Rumble match, while pretty predictable, has a tonne of replay value: All the Hardcore guys in the span of 10 or 15 minutes, The Honky Tonk Man, Drew Carey. This is a very easy match to (re)watch.

I'll start round six with a match that isn't great, but is still more than watchable, just because of the hype, the feel, the great commentary:

wrestlemania3.jpg

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H

No Way Out 2001, 3 Stages Of Hell

WWE1180_d.jpg

Back when HHH was at the peak of his career, with a well constructed build-up that delivered a really heated match.

Through 60 picks (1/4 of the draft), here are the wrestlers who have been in more than one match:

(11) Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels

(8) Ric Flair

(7) Steve Austin & Mick Foley

(6) The Rock & Randy Savage

(5) Ricky Steamboat

(4) Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Triple H, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Chris Benoit

(3) Kurt Angle

(2) Mr. Perfect, Brian Pillman, Dustin Rhodes, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Jr., Rowdy Roddy Piper, Edge, Sting, John Cena, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Christopher Daniels, Scott Hall, Billy Gunn, Kane, Rob Van Dam, JBL, Hardcore Holly, Raven, Sgt. Slaughter, The Iron Sheik, Too Cool, Rikishi, Perry Saturn, Haku

1998unf456.jpg

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin vs. Dude Love/WWF Title Match/IYH:Over The Edge/May 31st, 1998

The match that became the blueprint for most of Austin's matches after it, due to injuries. Wild brawl throughout the arena, Foley bumping like crazy, McMahon as the guest ref, Patterson and Brisco as guest ring announcer and timekeeper, respectively and top it off with Taker at ringside to try to keep things in check. I remember trying to figure out how Austin would pull off a victory with the odds stacked against him so much. Just a fun match that I can watch time and again and still be entertained.

My next pick is a personal favorite of mine. Money in the Bank was a great concept and the original one is still my favorite. Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Kane vs. Chris Benoit vs. Christian vs. Edge. Money In The Bank Ladder Match. Wrestlemania 21. April 3,2005

26dg5.jpg

My next pick is a personal favorite of mine. Money in the Bank was a great concept and the original one is still my favorite. Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Kane vs. Chris Benoit vs. Christian vs. Edge. Money In The Bank Ladder Match. Wrestlemania 21. April 3,2005

26dg5.jpg

Yes! I love it. One of Chris Benoit's best performances.

I mean, damn you for taking this one.

WWF Invasion - 2001

The Inaugural Brawl

TEAM WCW/ECW

Booker T, DDP, Rhyno & The Dudley Boys

vs

TEAM WWF

Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho and Kane

The angle might have been a bad one.. but this match was red hot.

Great ending that shocked me at the time.

Wwfwcwecwinvasion.jpg

1998unf456.jpg

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin vs. Dude Love/WWF Title Match/IYH:Over The Edge/May 31st, 1998

The match that became the blueprint for most of Austin's matches after it, due to injuries. Wild brawl throughout the arena, Foley bumping like crazy, McMahon as the guest ref, Patterson and Brisco as guest ring announcer and timekeeper, respectively and top it off with Taker at ringside to try to keep things in check. I remember trying to figure out how Austin would pull off a victory with the odds stacked against him so much. Just a fun match that I can watch time and again and still be entertained.

Ah, I came SO close to taking Austin/Dude with my last pick. Good call.

For my sixth-round selection, I would like to go with...

Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi

ROH Joe vs. Kobashi

October 1, 2005

New York City, NY

joebashi.jpg

One of Kobashi's first appearances in North America produced a memorable, five-star contest with the popular Samoa Joe. Simply jaw-dropping.

With my 6th round pick, I choose:

austinbenoit28may01sunmf3.jpg

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit - WWF World Title - WWF Smackdown - May 31, 2001

I gotta have some 2001 Heel Austin on my island. He's awesome.

Hot hometown crowd for Benoit. 10 German Suplexes.

These two just gelled that night.

With my 6th round pick, I choose:

austinbenoit28may01sunmf3.jpg

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit - WWF World Title - WWF Smackdown - May 31, 2001

I gotta have some 2001 Heel Austin on my island. He's awesome.

Hot hometown crowd for Benoit. 10 German Suplexes.

These two just gelled that night.

Fuck. I didn't think that anybody was going to go for that one. Awesome match, and not just for the ten Germans spot either.

And apparently the run on 2001 matches continues:

post-2806-1212780669.jpg

Steve Austin v. Kurt Angle/WWF Title Match/Summerslam '01

I loved the pre-video package where both were vying for Vince's love, the match was great, and although the ending was a bit of a cop-out, it really stayed true to how quasi-cowardly heel Austin was. And the dialogue between JR & Heyman was great.

Ah, I came SO close to taking Austin/Dude with my last pick. Good call.

Thank you, sir. I was relieved it was there, with my list shrinking with each pick, I'm never sure which way to go. There are some matches I figured would be around later that were already taken, although there are still plenty of great matches left.