TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

Explicitly defining what constitutes an era would be tough, but I think we can apply some common sense. If 4 guys on the line have changed and the the 5th guy is way older, we could allow that versus a situation where all 4 of the 5 starters are the same and only a couple years older/younger.

Guest Vitamin X
That's pretty tough to judge though. 5 beforehand? How beforehand are we talking about?

Like, forever beforehand.

The 72 Steelers line, for example, is markedly different from the 77, but the 77 and 80 Steelers lines are still pretty close.

Either way, I think the best way to judge is basically to try and be as judicious as possible when selecting an offensive line to not be selecting the same exact players as someone else.

Or, you know, just select the players, I guess. Some of our less-informed NFL posters might not know how to take, say, a guard from the 60's or 70's, though. It's like I said, you're either making it so people have to choose from 60 different offensive linemen, or taking 12 whole offensive lines. There's enough teams and enough eras out there to not be forced into taking the same team a few years later or before.

I wouldn't mind drafting linemen individually but that's just me. For example I'd want someone like Bruce Matthews without wanting one of the whole late 80s/early 90s Oilers line units. Asking people to draft by "lines" is like asking people in the NBA All Time Draft to draft a collective bench.

Not to mention there's over 87 years of history...

Here's a question. How are "leagues" like the AFL and AAFC gonna be counted? The NFL absorbed those teams but players like Len Dawson, Joe Namath, etc. had solid years (Otto Graham in the AAFC) in those leagues too while productive players in those leagues may not have done as well in the NFL.

Guest Vitamin X

I would say count them like the NBA one, in which we're taking former league stats into account as well.

Those players should be available, but don't be surprised if some people question the picks based on the reasoning stated. But if someone feels that they are the player they want, by all means they should be allowed to take them.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm going to go ahead and add a poll for the linemen question, since we seem to be pretty split on the issue. I hope Jorge/Jew doesn't mind my taking over this thing, or at least my helping him out with running it.

Just make it impossible for one player to be picked twice. Like, if someone picks an offensive line, another line from the same team can only be picked if all five players are different.

I'm going to go ahead and add a poll for the linemen question, since we seem to be pretty split on the issue. I hope Jorge/Jew doesn't mind my taking over this thing, or at least my helping him out with running it.

Of course I don't mind, the help... I mean, don't take over or anything. I just drove from L.A. to Portland in a straight shot, so I was out of touch for a spell, there.

I think we should take o-line seperate. I thought about drafting whole lines before I made the thread, but that would take something away, in my opinion. I'm open to what the masses think, though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The votes for individual linemen have it as of right now.

As a compromise, I think this should be a short list of participants, because 22 rounds (are we doing special teams? 25 with a return man, a punter, and a placekicker) is a long motherfucker.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Another thing:

When judging teams against one another, I don't think it should be a matter of "Could this team beat this team?" I don't think there's any question that the SB XXXIV Rams would not only beat the SB I Packers, they'd pin the Green Bay players to the ground and make them eat dirt. Judgment should be based on a player versus their generation, their place in the league during their career, and comparison to other players at the same position. Is Bart Starr better than Bruce Matthews? Kiss my dick.

I'll jump in. Although, I'll probably be googling offensive linemen, so if someone more knowledgeable about football wants a spot, I'll give mine up.

Updated List

1. Jorge Gorgeous

2. CanadianChris

3. 909

4. VX

5. Agent

6. Kahran Ramsus

7. MFerXtreme87

8. Canadian Brandon

9. Smartly Pretty

10. Brooklyn Zoo

11. Vic Mackey

12. Gert T

13. nogoodnick

14. Just John

15. Tzar

16. Next USC #55

17. HarleyQuinn

18. Broward83

19. jwest27

20. Bored

I think we can handle 20 people so long as people are smart about PMing others with their picks if they can't make it.

Also CC... stuff like this NEVER is just 12 :P I'm just amazed it wasn't 30.

Ahh...when I checked the page (before the 2nd post) I didn't see my name so I assumed (wrongly) that my post had been missed.