TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge Gorgeous

The NFL All-Time Draft.

I wanted Night Train Lane here so instead I go with the next best defensive back on the board.

MelBlount.jpg

Mel Blount, Cornerback

Pittsburgh Steelers 1970-1983

Hall of Fame - 1989

5-time Pro Bowler

NFL All-Time 75th Anniversary Team

1975 Defensive Player of the Year

57 Career Interceptions

HutsonDon3.jpg

Don Hutson, WR

2 Time MVP

9 Time All Pro

99 Receiving Touchdowns

7,991 Receiving Yards

Considered the first extraordinary receiver in NFL history, Don Hutson was someone I wanted to take to give Marino a weapon to throw to.

Ordinarily I would have gone with Hutson as he's a top five player all-time, but I simply felt that QB is a more important position than WR and that there was quite a drop after Tarkenton. Make no mistake though, he's the guy that put professional football on the map.

I've started building the D-line, now it's time to start building the O-line. No, this is NOT the head coach.

art_shell_giddy_1.jpg

Art Shell, OT

8x Pro Bowl selection (1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980)

7x All-Pro selection (1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)

2-time Super Bowl winner (XI, XV)

NFL 1970s All-Decade Team

Played in 207 of 212 games from 1968 to 1982 (156 consecutive, then 51 consecutive)

Elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989

This was a ridiculously hard choice, but Earl Campbell was a physical beast. Everyone feared him, he'd just run people the fuck over. That's why I picked him.

Guaranteed the other guy I was thinking of will be picked in the next five.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Tough to argue with picking Campbell, since he's one of my all-time favorite players, but I just see RBs as a much more plentiful commodity than any other position in the draft.

Roger%20Staubach.jpeg

Roger Staubach

6 Pro Bowls

5 All-Pros

2 Super Bowl Championships

Super Bowl VI MVP

I'm a little tipsy right now, so maybe I will elaborate on this pick later.

Figured I'd make my first defensive pick and was happy to see this guy still on the board:

afa1988EdJones85.jpg

Career Information

Year(s): 1974–1989

NFL Draft: 1974 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1

College: Tennessee State

Professional Teams

Dallas Cowboys (1974-1978)

Dallas Cowboys (1980-1989)

Career Stats

Sacks 106

Games 224

INT 3

Career Highlights and Awards

3x Pro Bowl selection (1981, 1982, 1983)

1x Super Bowl champion (XII)

Guest Vitamin X

Excellent! Now, I get to take the guy who was unquestionably one of the greatest receivers and running backs, ever.

10431004.jpg

RB Marshall Faulk

Career Stats

12,279 Rushing Yards (9th all-time, between Jim Brown and Marcus Allen, who I was thinking of taking at RB if Faulk wasn't available)

100 Rushing TDs (7th all-time)

767 Receptions (21st all-time, and ahead of great receivers like Michael Irvin and James Lofton)

136 Career TDs (4th all-time)

* 7x Pro Bowl selection (1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)

* 6x All-Pro selection (1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)

* Super Bowl champion (XXIV)

* 2000 NFL MVP

* 2x PFWA NFL MVP (2000, 2001)

* 1994 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year

* 1994 UPI AFL-AFC Rookie of the Year

* 3x NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1999, 2000, 2001)

* 2001 Bert Bell Award

* 1994 Pro Bowl MVP

* St. Louis Rams #28 retired

Here's a running back, who, like my quarterback, can take over a game and put a team on his shoulders when they need to win. Arguably the greatest offensive weapon ever, the only guy who might come close to matching him (if not already) is LaDainian Tomlinson, who was already taken. Faulk, in his prime, was a weapon, and an all-around classy guy who was the spark that ignited one of the best and most fun to watch offenses ever. With Favre and Faulk getting the offense going, this is a very difficult to defend team already. I love it.

I wanted Night Train Lane here so instead I go with the next best defensive back on the board.

MelBlount.jpg

Mel Blount, Cornerback

Pittsburgh Steelers 1970-1983

Hall of Fame - 1989

5-time Pro Bowler

NFL All-Time 75th Anniversary Team

1975 Defensive Player of the Year

57 Career Interceptions

Yeah, if Night Train was taken before he got to me, I would've taken him.

Guest Vitamin X

Shit, I'm glad I didn't wait until the next round, then.

Dude is just so SMOOTH. He's like my running backs when I play Madden on rookie.

I wanted Faulk too. Oh well, back to defense.

ATWATER16X20A.jpg

Steve Atwater - FS

8x Pro Bowl

2x All pro

2x SB champ

90's all decade team

I'll pick up a defensive leader type here, who also happened to be good for 150 tackles or so per season during his peak years and a handful of interceptions as well.

31444971.jpg

Quietly one of the best running backs ever. 14,101 yards, good for fourth all time. 5 time all pro, 5 time pro bowler, Rookie of the Year, 4.0 YPC career, lead the league in rushing yards in 2004. I pick Curtis Martin.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Guess I'm just in time.

I had a pick all mapped out, but I'm going to change it up a bit.

WRDarrellGreen.jpg

CB-Darrell Green

7x Pro Bowl selection (1984, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997)

4x All-Pro selection (1986, 1987, 1990, 1991)

NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

1996 Walter Payton Man of the Year

1997 Bart Starr Award

Redskins' Ring of Fame

70 Greatest Redskins

Record 19 Seasons with at least 1 Interception

Record 20 Seasons with 1 NFL Team (tied with Jackie Slater)

Pro Football Hall of Fame

College Football Hall of Fame

Defensive back is an all-important position, and given the pass rush I want to develop, eternal allstar hall of fame shutdown corners that can cover one-on-one are a major piece of the puzzle. The fact that Green was also the fastest man in the NFL at one point is a nice bonus. Plus, a 20 year career for anyone that doesn't kick is astounding to me. Especially at a position that's nothing but planting on one leg and turning on a dime to keep up with big young athletic receivers.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Steve Atwater was a guy I thought would've lasted a little longer. Terrific underrated player, but probably a bit of a reach in the 3rd round. Faulk's also a tremendous RB, but like all other RBs selected so far, not someone I was particularly concerned with. He went after Riggins. Weird.

Most of the guys going now are the guys I figured would be taken before I picked again. I love the Marshall Faulk pick. He should have been gone a round earlier. I'm really glad I went with Tarkenton now, because Staubach was the guy that I was targetting at QB before this draft with the idea I'd go after other positions first. Then it turns out Tarkenton drops and Staubach goes later in the same round, so I would have missed out had I passed on Tarkenton and taken Hutson instead.

There are still a ton of multi-time Pro Bowlers out there too.

Normally, I would try to suscribe to the "RB's are a dime a dozen" way of thinking and wait on one. But I feel like this guy is way too good to pass up. I'm gonna go with the man dubbed "The Kansas Comet".

Gale_Sayers_Photo3_mid.jpg

Gale Sayers

4x Pro Bowl selection (1965, 1966, 1967, 1969)

5x All-Pro selection (1965-1969)

NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team

NFL 1960s All-Decade Team

1965 UPI NFL-NFC Rookie of the Year

3x Pro Bowl MVP (1969, 1967, 1966)

Chicago Bears #40 retired

The total yards gained by Sayers don't do him any justice, but his per-game averages were outstanding. The man could do it all, from rushing (5.0 YPA), receiving (11.7 YPC), kick returns (30.6 YPR), and punt returns (14.5 YPR). Hell, he even threw a TD pass once. It wasn't the easiest pick, since his career was very brief, but the fact that he was the youngest player ever elected to the Hall of Fame (age 34) and was ranked #21 on The Sporting News' top 100 list of great NFL players (as well as #5 in a recent ESPN.com article on the best RB's) speaks volumes of how highly regarded he was. To get him as the 12th RB off the board is a steal IMO.

Took eight picks, but he finally went. It was tough choosing between him and Campbell.