TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Random Thoughts

Tony Atlas is scheduled to main event an indy show at a local bar on Wednesday against Pierre Carl Oullette. I have a feeling, he's not going to make it. I'll never see him get his revenge on that evil Quebecois! :(

I have no idea if this has been discussed, but if WWE ever released a CM Punk DVD, does anyone think they'll try and get in touch with ROH, IWA-MS and others to get some of his more famous indy matches?

Would be interesting if they did.

Punk already has about 3 or 4 (maybe more) Best of DVDs so I don't know that'd be absolutely neccesary but it could be cool for a complete set.

Getting ROH footage would be more difficult. They'd have a better shot at getting IWA-MS or smaller independents footage. Of course, they would probably only take footage against other current WWE talent such as Sydal, Gibson, Cabana, Kendrick and Kennedy. I would hope they have more OVW footage then anything else.

I think Punk feuded with Ken Doane and Brent Albright in OVW, so I don't know about those matches qualifying for much. His promos down there were pretty tight though, but way have a DVD with OVW promos??

Debut match in ECW, Morrison ECW title win match, MITB win match and cashing it in to beat Edge are the only WWE entries onto the PUNK DVD so far. Maybe have him as one of Cena's Gangsters during Cena's entrance @ WM 22 as an easter egg. I liked his ECW matches with Dkystra and Noble, but they are not DVD quality.

Punk's OVW work is really good stuff, so I would be all for them including some of it. Don't make it a focal point of a DVD, but a few things would be cool. The Albright feud was fun if I recall, lots of Punk being beaten with a leather strap.

I think Punk feuded with Ken Doane and Brent Albright in OVW, so I don't know about those matches qualifying for much. His promos down there were pretty tight though, but way have a DVD with OVW promos??

Debut match in ECW, Morrison ECW title win match, MITB win match and cashing it in to beat Edge are the only WWE entries onto the PUNK DVD so far. Maybe have him as one of Cena's Gangsters during Cena's entrance @ WM 22 as an easter egg. I liked his ECW matches with Dkystra and Noble, but they are not DVD quality.

They'd probably include the Team DX Extreme Vs Rated RKO at Survivor Series since it was Punk's first major match and the first true sign that he was a star in the making. There's a great deal of OVW stuff for Punk. It's a matter of them being willing to show Punk as a great promo, something they seem to be hesitant to do in WWE. If they did a Punk DVD, it wouldn't be until next year anyways. Chances are he'll have a few good higher quality matches to include. He spent most of his time with Mike Knox, Chavo Guerrero, Morrison/Miz and Burke. Hard to find good quality there.

I have no idea if this has been discussed, but if WWE ever released a CM Punk DVD, does anyone think they'll try and get in touch with ROH, IWA-MS and others to get some of his more famous indy matches?

Punk already has about 3 or 4 (maybe more) Best of DVDs so I don't know that'd be absolutely neccesary but it could be cool for a complete set.

Getting ROH footage would be more difficult. They'd have a better shot at getting IWA-MS or smaller independents footage. Of course, they would probably only take footage against other current WWE talent such as Sydal, Gibson, Cabana, Kendrick and Kennedy. I would hope they have more OVW footage then anything else.

If they did get IWA-MS footage, they could just grab the triple threat Punk/Mysterio/Eddie match and maybe a Punk/Eddie singles match. The major crutch, besides there being no real precedent that I'm aware of of DVDs using indy footage except for The Hardys in OMEGA, would be that Ian Rotten isn't exactly the biggest McMahon fan. Then again, given the chance, I'm sure money would talk.

If they did get IWA-MS footage, they could just grab the triple threat Punk/Mysterio/Eddie match and maybe a Punk/Eddie singles match. The major crutch, besides there being no real precedent that I'm aware of of DVDs using indy footage except for The Hardys in OMEGA, would be that Ian Rotten isn't exactly the biggest McMahon fan. Then again, given the chance, I'm sure money would talk.

Wasn't the Benoit/Regal match on the Benoit DVD an indipendant show...or was that run by WWE (which I doubt, given the bad camera for it)?

I was wondering if anyone knows why in Canada Raw is not broadcasted live. Or, at least on the Score (which is the channel it is on where I am), it is not broadcasted live. Instead we have a fifteen minute delay where the start of the show is just a recap of last week.

Wasn't the Benoit/Regal match on the Benoit DVD an indipendant show...or was that run by WWE (which I doubt, given the bad camera for it)?

You're thinking of the match they had at the Pillman memorial show. It wasn't really put on by WWE but had WWE talent there.

I was wondering if anyone knows why in Canada Raw is not broadcasted live. Or, at least on the Score (which is the channel it is on where I am), it is not broadcasted live. Instead we have a fifteen minute delay where the start of the show is just a recap of last week.

The Score is only licensed for X amount of live programming (what a retarded licencing standard, btw - thanks CRTC or CBSC or whoever is responsible for this!) and when they picked up Raw in 2006, that put them over their alloted amount. I guess they have enough leeway to be able to air an episode live every now and then (most recently a Raw from Toronto) but the 9:15 concession is much better than when they used to wait until 10pm.

The Score is only licensed for X amount of live programming (what a retarded licencing standard, btw - thanks CRTC or CBSC or whoever is responsible for this!) and when they picked up Raw in 2006, that put them over their alloted amount. I guess they have enough leeway to be able to air an episode live every now and then (most recently a Raw from Toronto) but the 9:15 concession is much better than when they used to wait until 10pm.

9:15 is a much better concession, but I agree that it sucks not to get it live.

On a different notes, I was wondering how many tag teams people think are needed to have a strong tag division? I remember it being pretty strong back in the 80's but I'm not sure how many teams were active at any given time.

Punk did a 3-Way Dance with Brent Albright & Ken Doane that was outstanding. That whole feud was done really well and if I'm not mistaken, Paul Heyman was booking OVW then. They did another 3-way a few months later with Albright and Aaron Stevens that was pretty good, too. I can upload those (heads up - they are huge files) if anybody wants to see them.

Did Kane and D-Lo Brown have any meaningful feud in the past? I'm wondering because D'Lo is booked to face Kane on the houseshow circuit and I'm wondering if the plan could be to bring D'Lo back in the Kane storyline some how.

He's been working NWE and some Indy shows last time I checked.

Whats Chris Masters up to these days ?

getting high.

Next weeks Raw is in Washington DC - Batista's hometown. Could be an interesting crowd reax to Punk if he is still champ. ECW/SD is taped in Philly the next night, which would be a better crowd for Punk.

No it's not. It's up here in CT at Mohegan Sun.

For those of us in MN, got an email that they are having a Raw on Monday, Sept 29 at Target Center, presale is tomorrow morning using the code CMPUNK.

I have a question about Andre the Giant, but I need to preface it first.

I've been into wrestling on and off since I was a child. I'd watch it a bit for awhile and then not watch it again for a few yrs. I didn't really watch it from 2000 til about 2007, with the exception of the occasional Raw or something I'd catch. Since then I've become very interested in wrestling again, watching the shows regularly and reading a lot about it.

When it comes to Andre the Giant, I am more familiar with his later days, where he was losing his touch. However, I have also watched a number of his earlier bouts. It seems to me that Andre really wasn't that great a wrestler. While I am in no way suggesting that he wasn't an extremely important part of wrestling history (I happen to be a big fan still), it seems to me that his in-ring skills were rather limited and that the main thing he really had going for him is that he was a spectacle to behold. At the same time, some of that might be due to it being a different era with a style different from what I am used for (for instance this was before the days of chokeslams). Thing is that I am not knowledgeable enough to really determine who is a good worker and whatnot, so I honestly can't say if he was good or not.

So with all the behind me, what I want to know is if Andre the Giant was actually a good worker.

I have a question about Andre the Giant, but I need to preface it first.

I've been into wrestling on and off since I was a child. I'd watch it a bit for awhile and then not watch it again for a few yrs. I didn't really watch it from 2000 til about 2007, with the exception of the occasional Raw or something I'd catch. Since then I've become very interested in wrestling again, watching the shows regularly and reading a lot about it.

When it comes to Andre the Giant, I am more familiar with his later days, where he was losing his touch. However, I have also watched a number of his earlier bouts. It seems to me that Andre really wasn't that great a wrestler. While I am in no way suggesting that he wasn't an extremely important part of wrestling history (I happen to be a big fan still), it seems to me that his in-ring skills were rather limited and that the main thing he really had going for him is that he was a spectacle to behold. At the same time, some of that might be due to it being a different era with a style different from what I am used for (for instance this was before the days of chokeslams). Thing is that I am not knowledgeable enough to really determine who is a good worker and whatnot, so I honestly can't say if he was good or not.

So with all the behind me, what I want to know is if Andre the Giant was actually a good worker.

My understanding is that he wasn't a bad worker, he was decent. The problem was that he was so much bigger & stronger than everybody else that they were afraid to work with him and he needed to take extra precautions that made him look sloppier than he actually was.

It depended on who he was working with, too; a guy with a solid workrate and who wasn't terrified of him would work a pretty good match, but if you've got a semi-acceptable worker who won't take half of Andre's moves because he thinks he'll crush him, then his moveset's going to be extremely limited and the match will bomb.

Next weeks Raw is in Washington DC - Batista's hometown. Could be an interesting crowd reax to Punk if he is still champ. ECW/SD is taped in Philly the next night, which would be a better crowd for Punk.

No it's not. It's up here in CT at Mohegan Sun.

You're right. I must have looked at the following weeks Raw location, though somehow got the SD! location right. SD! is in Philly PA next week and Hershey PA the week later - not much travel there.