TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

Probably a slight overreach but I wasn't sure this movie would get back to me for the next round, so I'll bite the bullet and take it here:

rashomon.jpg

One of Akira Kurosawa's classic films, it pretty much gives you everything you need in a psychological drama that was ahead of its time.

The Godfather

i wanted to swipe this up before anyone else got the chance to, and i'm frankly amazed that it made it to me. pitch-perfect moviemaking, every decision made exactly right in exactly the right place. michael corleone's character arc is the stuff dreams are made of, and he never steals focus from any of the other terrifically-drawn characters. great scene after great scene--my favorite is when tom has to tell vito that sonny's dead.

everything great about the early 70s more or less belonged to this movie.

51G7EFpwGvL._SS500_.jpg

Boogie Nights

Prob. my all time favorite movie. It's one of the only films I've ever seen that doesn't really have a single real weakness. The acting, directing, writing and cinematography are all ridiculously top-notch and the soundtrack is one of the best in modern cinema. Also, Heather Graham gets naked in it. Basically a perfect movie.

Sadly, a little too late.

If DraftMania doesn't wear out it's welcome, maybe I'll start another one after this one.

Stay tuned, the TV show draft has got to be around the corner. *Hint: Somebody start the TV Draft!*

I do believe I'm up.

TR9050.jpg

CITIZEN TOXIE: The Toxic Avenger IV

This is THE Troma movie. It is everything that Troma has ever wanted to achieve one Lloyd Kaufman embraced his limitations as a filmmaker and his audience, and is everything that is righteous in the world of (truly) independent cinema. Right away, the movie denounces (via STAN LEE voiceover) parts 2 and 3 as being horrible, even by Troma standards, and states that this is the true sequel: the ones that diehard Troma fans have been waiting for. With a preposterous plot (a bomb planted by another odd gang that goes on a school rampage causes a shift between dimensions, and now Toxie has to both find a way back to his dimension and defeat his evil doppleganger, the Noxious Offender), star cameos (Lemmy of Motorhead fame as a citizen of both Tromaville and the bizarro Amortville, the Sklari brothers as Troma's newscasters, James Gunn as a crippled scientist, and Ron Jeremy as the mayor of Tromaville), and more politically incorrect humor than one could shake the proverbial stick at (including the first 20 minutes almost entirely devoted to parodying school shootings and the media's coverage of them, as well as sophomoric jokes at the expense of the mentally handicapped), Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV is the ultimate experiment in lovely, lovely bad taste.

taxi.jpg

The greatest movie ever made. It might not be a fun, jolly movie to watch over and over again, but a better movie has not been made, and if this were a one-movie draft I'd pick this one.

The%20Wild%20Bunch.jpg

The Wild Bunch (1969)

Sure, others will pick a western with Clint, but for me, "The Wild Bunch" is the best western ever made. Incredibly well acted, directed, and with a hell of a finale.

51PFEAYYWML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Raging Bull

Brilliantly shot. Taxi Driver is phenomenal, perhaps the greatest Vietnam film, but in Raging Bull I think Scorsese is more (most) careful with his editing and construction of his mise-en-scene. The opening sequence and the wedding home videos, set to excellent pieces of music, lead me to believe so. Taxi Driver vividly depicts the lonely, racist, pathetic Bickle, but Raging Bull also provides a thorough examination of its anti-hero's fragile psyche-- without the use of narration. Still, I would throw myself into the sea before I'd live on an island without both films.

EDIT: Actually, I'd argue that of all films I've seen, Raging Bull is the best work of pathos. The fat, lonely La Motta is hard to watch. La Motta in his prime, sobbing "What'd I do?" after he throws the fight, is downright awful.

i thought about picking 'the wild bunch' just to be a dickhead.

i also thought about picking 'eyes without a face' for the same reason.

Alright, it's been twelve hours, go ahead Mole whenever you get here.

Probably a slight overreach but I wasn't sure this movie would get back to me for the next round, so I'll bite the bullet and take it here:

You were really worried about someone picking Rashomon first? I know it's a great and influential film, but it's not exactly like a Pulp Fiction in terms of its popularity in this generation. There are a few other Kurosawa films I might consider picking, but I'm jumping on stuff more likely to be grabbed by someone else first.

Reminder: a brief explanation of why you chose that movie is appreciated as it just makes the draft more interesting...even if it's just "It's awesome! Recognize, bitches!"

You should also type out the title in your post. These jpegs are gonna eventually turn into red x's, probably sooner than later.

Alright, it's been twelve hours, go ahead Mole whenever you get here.

You were really worried about someone picking Rashomon first? I know it's a great and influential film, but it's not exactly like a Pulp Fiction in terms of its popularity in this generation. There are a few other Kurosawa films I might consider picking, but I'm jumping on stuff more likely to be grabbed by someone else first.

Well it didn't matter anyways. The other possible #1 pick of mine looks to be coming back to me anyways. So I will presumably have my two favorite movies of all time with me. Not bad.

edit to explain my comment from earlier: When the draft first started I wasn't sure of the strategy people here were taking. Whether it was the best movies that were being picked or the picker's most favorite movie. My current approach is to take the movies I personally would spend many hours watching on a loop since thats what having only 20 films on a desert island for years to come will feel like. I wasn't sure if one of the pretentious assholes would pick Rashomon just to go "Look my tastes are refined!", so I had to pick it way early, but obviously it looks like I could have held off on it. It was not going to go any further than my 2nd pick though.

207.Gone%20With.the.Wind.jpg

Gone with the Wind - Dir. Victor Flemming 1939

One of the most sweeping epics in cinematic history, this film was the crown jewel of what many consider the greatest year for film ever. The story has everything. Gable's Rhett is to me one of the most bad-ass characters ever. Additionally, Max Steiner's amazing and hastily written score adds a great depth to the piece.

Reminder: a brief explanation of why you chose that movie is appreciated as it just makes the draft more interesting...even if it's just "It's awesome! Recognize, bitches!"

I did that while I was at work and I was trying to do it as fast as possible.

I think my strategy is going to be going for the underlooked films of the last 30-35 years, the ones that might not be award-winners or legendary, but good enough for a look, and ultimately entertaining. I'm guessing most of my choices will be movies most people haven't seen or just wouldn't want to see, so I'm not going for anything close to a "these are certified classics" list. Expect more off-beat comedies, gory horror flicks, and underrated action or sci-fi films.

I did that while I was at work and I was trying to do it as fast as possible.

I actually figured as much. I just took it as an opportunity to post a reminder.

I think my strategy is going to be going for the underlooked films of the last 30-35 years, the ones that might not be award-winners or legendary, but good enough for a look, and ultimately entertaining. I'm guessing most of my choices will be movies most people haven't seen or just wouldn't want to see, so I'm not going for anything close to a "these are certified classics" list. Expect more off-beat comedies, gory horror flicks, and underrated action or sci-fi films.

I'm simply going with my favorites.

But, since this is a draft, I'm obviously picking the the ones I'm worried will be taken early (i.e.: Pulp Fiction).

I'm sure there will be less "classic cinema" as round after round passes.

My first pick is an all time favorite of mine. The best Christmas movie ever made in my opinion. And classic acting by Jimmy Stewart. It's A Wonderful Life. 1943

007_FXIW1_ITS_WONDERFULL_LIFE~It-s-a-Wonderful-Life-Posters.jpg

My first pick of round two is going to be arguably the best movie of my favorite super hero ever. Classic performance by Nicholson. Great direction by Burton. I'm talking about Batman. 1989. 5103497.jpg

My first pick is an all time favorite of mine. The best Christmas movie ever made in my opinion. And classic acting by Jimmy Stewart. It's A Wonderful Life. 1943

007_FXIW1_ITS_WONDERFULL_LIFE~It-s-a-Wonderful-Life-Posters.jpg

i hate you.

To kill time and provoke discussion:

Anyone else see the similarities between Taxi Driver/Raging Bull and Boogie Nights? They both feature long takes using the roaming camera, they're studies of American life in different decades and most obviously, Boogie Nights' conclusion is a homage to that of Raging Bull. Ford and Altman are noted for being influences on PT Anderson, but what about Scorsese?

There's definately possible Taxi Driver/Boogie Nights comparisons in terms of observations about loneliness/being alone. I haven't seen much said about it so maybe it's just me but it's definately something I saw in BN that reminded me a little of TD.

I'm torn between picking the films which mean the most to me personally, or the ones I think other people are likely to snatch up if I don't pick them first. Like, say, Office Space. I really love that movie, but so does everyone else, and if we get past the third round without someone getting it I'll be shocked. But do I love it enough to pick it first instead of a more obscure movie that I like better, and take a chance that someone might happen to pick the other one and really piss me off?

Ford and Altman are noted for being influences on PT Anderson, but what about Scorsese?

Ford? Really? Don't see that one. Unless you're talking generally about how Stagecoach and The Searchers influenced so many directors, who went on to influence others; Orson Welles would be the biggest one, since he apparently watched the indian attack scene in Stagecoach dozens of times before he completed editing on Citizen Kane, and of course Kane influenced everyone ever.

But yeah, I always thought the Scorsese influence in PTA's work was pretty obvious, especially in Boogie Nights. A little of his acting style and a lot of his camerawork come directly from Marty.

6301404440.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Dir. Robert Zemeckis 1988

One of my personal favorite films. Not only was it groundbreaking in the seamless mix of animation and live action for more than a scene, with a great plot that kids can enjoy but is more geared to adults, but it also brought together every iconic animated character in one film.

Plus it introduced us to Jessica Fucking Rabbit, which anyone who knows me personally knows my fascination with.

Fuck it, I'm picking anyway.

0711catch.jpg

Catch Me If You Can by Steven Speilberg

I remember when Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can came out about the same time, I thought I was going to like GONY MUCH more than CMIYC. I saw GOFNY in the theaters and it didn't do that much for me. I saw CMIYC on DVD and thought it was amazing and a great way to finish off Speilberg's running man trilogy. Leo is fantastic as Frank Barns and went from a 17 year old kid to a Con-Man in 10 seconds flat. Hanks is great as usual. One of my favorite movies of all time and a rare A+ from me.