TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

Mr%20Smith%20Goes%20to%20Washington.jpg

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

so many reasons to pick this one. that final scene (pictured above), with unshaven jimmy stewart ranting and raving against stark silence is just awesome. i used to have it memorized. nobody can make you buy into the cheesiness at the same time as you laugh at yourself for buying into the cheesiness like frank capra. evil graft-mongers pushing kids over on their bikes!!! darn those bad men in dark suits!!! probably the exact opposite of godard, cause its just so fucking sincere you can't not buy into the formula. i love this movie so very much.

also, just a warning, be prepared for a lot more french movies in the coming rounds. with their ambiguous endings and their blank, vaguely meaningful stares.

also, just a warning, be prepared for a lot more french movies in the coming rounds. with their ambiguous endings and their blank, vaguely meaningful stares.

400.jpg

I didn't expect a raid on French New Wave, otherwise I would have already picked one of my favourite films. It does not involve Antoine Doinel.

I better hop on the French New Wave train before all the good shit's gone.

11113131_0462cf069d.jpg

Pierrot le fou

My favorite Godard film and the last really "fun" thing he ever did. The movie's all over the place, gleefully hopping from genre to genre and idea to idea. It's at once a "lovers-on-the-run" story, a gangster movie, an existentialist romance, a comedy, and a deconstruction of cinematic form. It may be a total self-indulgent mess, but it's probably the sprightliest, most entertaining self-indulgent mess in cinema. Also, Anna Karina and Jean-Paul Belmondo are pretty much the best movie couple ever.

THAT WAS MY ARRRRGH HAD I KNOWN ARRRRGGH HATS OFF

Anyway, Pierrot le fou is indeed plenty of fun. It's playful. Belmondo doing the impression of an old man (apparently actor Michel Simon, who I admittedly don't know) is the funniest thing ever.

It's also a self-indulgent mess, which you mentioned. Godard tells us what he thinks of film form, genre, and genre conventions, his own films, his marriage, politics, etc.

The ending is way cool. Nobody should give up on Godard without watching this film first.

son of a bitch. i didn't think anybody else would pick that one.

great movie, and the one where i finally got what godard was all about. it's got some pacing problems, but that's to be expected when you're making a different movie every ten minutes.

the musical sequence is my favorite thing about any godard movie (except maybe the end of 'weekend'), with them just running around in the woods all goofy. "ma line de chanCEEE!" the reinactment of the vietnam war is up there too. and anna karina is so cute i can't stand it.

god dammit.

Yojimbo_Rep.jpg

Yojimbo

My favorite movie from one of my favorite directors. Might not be as thoughtful a movie as Rashomon or as visually expanisive as Ran, but Toshiro Mifune knocks it out of the park. Then follows it out of the park and keeps hitting it.

orgazmo-dvd-cover.jpg

Orgazmo - Trey Parker/Matt Stone, 1997

The best comedic team of this generation, easily, and their funniest live action film. I could've gone with Cannibal! The Musical, BASEketball, South Park: BLU, or Team America, but this is what I feel is their funniest movie. Ron Jeremy, Lloyd Kaufman cameo, and not to mention the greatest superhero sidekick to date: CHODA BOY.

Straw Dogs

Only recently did I see this. My DVD quote would be "Troubling! Four stars." Peckinpah is a better, smarter provocateur than most. I guarantee it will make you think, satisfy your filmic bloodlust and then make you think about when/why you react to movie violence. It's not quite horror, but it does have Frankenstein.

The film screws with the viewer's expectations in grand fashion, if you think about what awful things occurred, who knows what, and what was really being fought for in the end. I apologize for being rather vague, but I really don't want to ruin Straw Dogs for anyone who slept on this film like I did.

This is my favorite Harry Potter movie.

Harry_Potter_and_the_Prisoner_of_Azkaban_poster.jpg

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by Alfonso Cuarón

It's the WORST adaptation of Harry Potter but the best movie of the 5.

nightmare_on_elm_street.jpg

A Nightmare On Elm Street Wes Craven. 1984.

My favorite horror movie of all time. I've probably seen this movie at least 15 or 20 times and it still never gets old. A classic.

NightmareChristmas1.jpg

The Nightmare Before Christmas Tim Burton. 1993.

From one nightmare to another...this is another of those movies that I can watch over and over and not get tired of. If I'm going to be stuck on an island, I'd definitely want this movie.

B00005JNEW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Friday Night Lights by Peter Berg

This is the best sports movie ever. I get choked up by the ending everytime.

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I was expecting to get Orgazmo 5-10 rounds from now.

I drew a blank as to what I was going to choose, but I think it's fair game that I'm not going for quality, but rather personal enjoyment. I don't plan on winning this thing, but I do plan on pulling out some upsets here and there. Expect more classic middleground (not quite underground, but not quite mainstream) horror/comedy flicks, and some underground movies of any genre as well.

Since I've got two picks apparently I'm picking:

Movie-Poster-Fight-Club.jpg

Fight Club- Dir. David Fincher 1999

This movie is just so out there it's hard to describe it.

503535~Grosse-Pointe-Blank-Posters.jpg

Grosse Pointe Blank- Dir. George Armitage 1997

Funny, violent, sweet and a killer soundtrack to boot. One of Cusack's best and plus Jeremy Piven in a great supporting role.

Oh fuck you.

I was taking Grosse Pointe Blank next (and almost picked it last time). One of the all time funniest movies to me.

"And I said, "I don't want to work with you any more." And yet, you come back each week at the same time"

And possibly my favorite exchange ever:

Marty: What are you doing here?

Ultimart Carl: I'm doing a double shift. What does it look like?

Marty: How long have you worked here?

Ultimart Carl: A couple months.

Marty: Is the manager here? Do you have a supervisor?

Ultimart Carl: No. They...

Marty: [interrupting] How long have they worked here?

Ultimart Carl: I'm not tellin' you.

Marty: Yeah? Where do you live?

Ultimart Carl: I'm not tellin' you that, either.

Marty: Where does your manager live? Who - I used to - Where - W-what are you doing here?

Ultimart Carl: I work here.

Marty: What are you doing here?

Ultimart Carl: I work here.

Marty: And how long have you worked here?

Ultimart Carl: Only a couple months.

Marty: All right, all right. What's done is done. Just forget about the whole thing.

Jaws

I'd leave it, but it's just too damned enjoyable. Quint is a classic character fleshed out by a great performance from Robert Shaw and two of my all-time favourite monologues. Neat special effects, a brilliant score and the very best drinking song. When do you see masculine films like this anymore?

And this is off topic, but the franchise spawned a mind-blowing video game. It takes a lot for a video game to truly intrigue me. If I'm remembering correctly, "Jaws Unleashed" for the Playstation 2 has you, playing as Jaws, spit flaming barrels at the houses of homosexual couples who are polluting the environment and then dive a good ten metres onto land so you can tear them to pieces. You can also set them on fire or spit them at their houses to win the challenge. What the fuck?

I was finally sent a PM, thanks CM! Hey Ravenbomb or whatever! Send a fucking PM!

Manhattan Woody Allen

manhattan2.jpg

My favorite Woody Allen movie, and I love Woody Allen. It's a great movie with a compelling story, but I really love this movie because it's beautiful. It's been said, in sort of a corny way, that Manhattan is really the star of this movie - but I buy that corny line. Plus, Mariel Hemingway is pretty foxy, and Diane Keaton is great again. And come on... that montage with Gershwin at the begining? Great moment in film.