TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

Star Wars - George Lucas

starwars_anewhope_12.jpg

Well, I'm a sucker for Star Wars. I was in middle school during the Star Wars renaissance, and my friends and I got into it big time. I'm taking the first one because it's my favorite one right now... it changes. Whatever. Just a fun sci-fi/adventure movie with a good story and Carrie Fisher

I was finally sent a PM, thanks CM! Hey Ravenbomb or whatever! Send a fucking PM!

My turn comes after yours this round, it's not my responsibility to PM you, no need to be a douche about it.

face_crowd_f.jpg

A Face in the Crowd (1957)

An overlooked gem. The same writer/director pair from On the Waterfront with another great cast highlighted by the best performance of a really good actor, in this case Andy Griffith. This MIGHT have been able to wait, but I know a few others on this board like the movie as well, so I thougt I better get it while it's open.

American-Psycho-Poster-C13062993.jpeg

American Psycho - Mary Harron, 2000

One of the better novel adaptations ever filmed, IMO, and the role that sent Bale further towards the superstardom he enjoys today. Personally, I'd say this is Bale's best role, and a solid practice for becoming Bruce Wayne, as the Wayne and Bateman characters are remarkably similar: both pretend to be rich playboys but have a darker side, both keep themselves in top physical condition, and both have enemies unsure of their natural identity. That's where the similarities end, however, but Ellis's characterization of Bateman is transferred wonderfully to the screen. Harron's choice to take select scenes and film them is practically brilliant, as the question that remains is still in debate amongst fans of both novel and film: did Bateman kill all that he claimed to kill, or was it all just a means of mental escape from his boring day-to-day life?

I was finally sent a PM, thanks CM! Hey Ravenbomb or whatever! Send a fucking PM!

My turn comes after yours this round, it's not my responsibility to PM you, no need to be a douche about it.

I meant last round, when my pick came after yours, and you didn't send a PM. CM Funk did send a PM. I'd rather be a douche than have the draft drag, you know? Nice pick.

After joining the Video Game Draft (and now understanding what they involve), I wish I'd joined this one too.

EDIT: Having said that, 5 of my top 10 of all time have been picked (Clerks, Pulp Fiction, BTTF, Ghostbusters and Roger Rabbit)

Nashville-Poster-C10133050.jpeg

Nashville

Robert Altman's masterpiece. Also maybe the best cinematic portrait of "America" (as an idea/concept) ever. It sprawls all over the place and covers a whole lot of ground but never feels one bit over-stuffed or indulgent. The ending is one of the most moving things I've ever seen.

great movie. his and my lists are probably going to end up looking more-or-less the same.

i was hoping to sneak that in at a later round, but it's probably for the best. i don't generally like robert altman, so it's not very representative of my taste.

this one, on the other hand...

JulesJim.jpg

Jules and Jim

was the first foreign movie that i ever really loved. francois truffaut was a god damn genius, even after his movies got all sentimental and mediocre. it's got a looseness and giddiness that's similar to 'pierrot le fou' (the freeze frames that capture jeanne moreau's laughing face are particularly awesome, especially if you don't know they're coming), but way more under control. this is just about a perfect balance of great storytelling and experimenting with form.

i'm also a sucker for jeanne moreau in all her european incarnations, and this is easily her best work.

41G57DN19ZL._SS500_.jpg

The Third Man

I was first exposed to the film in school, but I liked it so much I kept rewatching it during my free time. Orson Welles is fantastic here as the villain, and Joseph Cotten is pretty good in the main lead role.

Since everyone else is snapping up the foreign flicks, thank christ this one somehow didn't get picked yet:

Seven_Samurai_poster.jpg

Seven Samurai

You know those movies which, when you're done watching them, make you feel like you've just seen The Best Film Of All Time? You know it's not THE best film of all time, because that would be Citizen Kane or Return of the Living Dead III or something like that, but it sure makes you feel like it's #1. That perfectly describes this movie. I've never seen an Akira Kurosawa movie which wasn't fucking awesome. And several of them are BEYOND fucking awesome. So when I say this is, imho, the very best movie he ever made... yeah. Invented cliches which are still used today, and had some of the damndest battle scenes of all time.

lifeis.jpg

La vita e bella (1997)

A masterpiece. If you don't cry at the end of this film, you might not be human.

indiana_jones_and_the_last_crusade2.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

My other favourite movie ever.

lifeis.jpg

La vita e bella (1997)

A masterpiece. If you don't cry at the end of this film, you might not be human.

I'm sorry but that movie was garbage.

That is THE one movie I've heard the most diverse opinions on. I still haven't seen it.

I don't mind the schmaltzy stuff so much so I probably wouldn't hate it as much as others.

o-brother-where-art-thou.jpg

O Brother, where art thou?

The only Coen brothers movie that I actually like...but I REALLY like it. And yes...that includes the one that everybody likes. It just cracks me up.

hmm...two Clooney picks in a row... I think I have something to talk to my counselor about.

Oooh, low blow.

And yes...that includes the one that everybody likes.

Which one? There's, like, three or four Coen flicks which might qualify as such.

I get a feeling there's gonna be a run on musicals sometime soon, don't know why, just do. So I might as well snap my favorite one up now:

sweeney-todd-poster.jpg

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Great songs, great performances, greatly executed by director Tim Burton. And fountains of blood.

lifeis.jpg

La vita e bella (1997)

Noooo way. It was an amazing movie.

lifeis.jpg

La vita e bella (1997)

Admitily I only the saw the crappy dub, but a romantic comedy about the Holocaust? Really?

I thought it was an abortion.

Time for me to dumb it down a bit:

Movie_poster_Anchorman_The_Legend_of_Ron_Burgundy.jpg

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

With the Apatow films already going, I thought I should get this one while it's still on table. Yes, it's not an Apatow directed flick, but it's part of the "Frat Pack" universe.

I was literally in tears laughing while watching this one in theaters. Ultra-quotable, too.

lifeis.jpg

La vita e bella (1997)

Admitily I only the saw the crappy dub, but a romantic comedy about the Holocaust? Really?

I thought it was an abortion.

It's not a romantic comedy about the Holocaust. The rom-com part was only for the first 50 minutes to set up the rest of the movie, and I thought it did a decent job. It's not like they're trying to make Springtime for Hitler or anything.

Can't speak about the dubbing. I saw it in the original Italian with subtitles.