TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

indiana_jones_and_the_temple_of_doom_ver1.jpg

How many times do we need to remind people that any picture yoinked from impawards.com will never, ever display here?

Quick Change (1990)

I feel proud that we got all the way to round 9 before finding a movie I'd never heard of.

Yeah. We've gone through 120 movies, and I was familiar with all of them and seen more than half of 'em. The fact that I've wasted so many hours of my life devoted to watching the pretty flickering light somehow means that I rule.

Actually the point of my post was that you should watch Quick Change.

Y'know, I almost want to start another film draft with new contestants. I'm still bitter over missing this.

How many times do we need to remind people that any picture yoinked from impawards.com will never, ever display here?

Sorry, but it shows up on my screen, so I had no idea. That's probably the problem. I'll pick another one.

Okay, so technically this next one is kind of cheating in order to get my favorite TV show onto the island. But hey, if you have a burning desire to watch one of the Star Trek flicks while you're stranded, I'll understand.

MysteryScienceTheater3000-TheMovie1.jpg

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

Pretty much the same thing as the show. Which is to say, the greatest thing in the history of things. Except a slightly higher budget for the host segments, and Servo cusses a few times.

1-Pinocchio.jpg

Pinocchio

i swear to god, when i signed up for the draft this was the first movie i thought of putting on. kids' movies, especially animation, can get away with doing all sorts of weird narrative shifts and taking you all sorts of wonderful places that grown-up movies just cannot do, and this is the very best of them. there's something very basic and pure about getting to watch this. it packs an amazing amount of wonder and variation into 93 or so minutes. still well-put-together enough for me to recall those feelings of total immersion and awe in movies i used to get when i was a kid, and it's still alarmingly scary. the only real weakness is that pinocchio doesn't have much of a personality (a chief problem for disney protagonists in general), but the number of frightening situations he's put into more than makes up for that.

A70-9984-793291.jpg

Stranger Than Paradise

This is the only Jim Jarmusch movie that actually feels like something more than just an exercise in empty, too cool formalism. That quote from Roger Ebert on the poster up there is pretty much dead-on and I really don't have a lot to add to it so instead I'll just post a YouTube clip of one of my favorite scenes.

Draft Board updated!

Thanks Mole for making my pick while I was gone.

EDIT: Corey's time has elapsed. Ravenbomb can make his pick.

mouth-of-madness-movie-poster.jpg

In the Mouth of Madness - Carpenter, 1995

The final film in Carpenter's "Apocalypse" trilogy (along with The Thing and Prince of Darkness), and considered his best work. Sam Neill gives a great performance of a man losing his sanity scene-by-scene, and Jurgen Prochnow turns in his usual greatness as purely creepy demonically-possessed author Sutter Cane. Featuring countless nods to the works of HP Lovecraft and Stephen King (a small New England town, a best-selling horror author, other-worldly beings, and the lines between fantasy/reality and sanity/insanity blurred), Carpenter creates a steady pace of mood and dread, with each scene adding more into the chaos of the universe that main character John Trent is dropped into. If I'm on a desert island, I'm going to want to watch a horror movie that, despite its lack of box office success and one that is generally forgotten, is well-made and reminds me of why I got into horror in the first place.

Chinatown

My favourite role of one of the greatest movie stars since the end of the studio era. Everything about this film is intriguing, even the costuming.

The Graduate

The_Graduate_poster.jpg

I just saw this movie a week ago. I loved it, instantly made my top five. It illustrates the numbness of leaving childhood behind, and Dustin Hoffman is great at taking his character from there to extreme emotional levels with a logical path. It's also hillarious... great comedic direction.

The Graduate

The_Graduate_poster.jpg

I just saw this movie a week ago. I loved it, instantly made my top five. It illustrates the numbness of leaving childhood behind, and Dustin Hoffman is great at taking his character from there to extreme emotional levels with a logical path. It's also hillarious... great comedic direction.

I just saw it a week ago too and it was great though I can't stand the soundtrack. Is it weird that I found Anne Bancroft damn hot?

Onto my pick:

Gladiator.jpg

Gladiator - Dir. Ridley Scott 2000

Amazing film, great score and in my opinion the last great non-adapted epic.

51afGHVTteL._SS500_.jpg

Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows by Paul Jay

I just woke up, so I'm still a little sleepy to describe this. But Jebus said I can pick it, even though I believed it aired on TV first.

I was actually saving that one for later rounds and then you PM'd me about it. Ah well...

I also said yes to TV movies so, if you're a big Valerie Bertenelli fan, go nuts!