TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

Sorry CB, I forgot to PM you. And I couldn't do it at work since my boss was right behind me the whole day.

Sorry CB, I forgot to PM you. And I couldn't do it at work since my boss was right behind me the whole day.

No problem. I can't even remember if I PMed you or not.

la_confidential-774800.jpg

L.A. Confidential - Dir. Curtis Hansen 1997

Great story, beautiful production design, great adaptation of Ellroy's book as opposed to Black Dhalia

21 Grams

I think this may be my favourite film. Ultra-realistic. Everything about this film is raw from the acting (if you haven't seen it yet, you really need to if just for Del Toro and Watts' performances) to the film stock. Some people dislike how the story is cut up, but I think it works well in building the film's feel or atmosphere. Unlike Babel it's tightly made and although it is exhausting, it's not exhaustively sentimental.

Big Fish - Tim Burton

Big%20Fish.jpg

I love this movie. It's whimsical, touching, it's one of those... sort of road movies... type movies. I dont know. Plus it makes me cry.

5107W8W92DL._SS500_.jpg

The Five Obstructions

Out of all Lars von Trier's pretentious projects, the stars finally alligned and one ended up being a really great film, and my favorite documentary.

I'm kinda interested in that one, but haven't gotten around to it. Von Trier is indeed a pretentious douche, making stuff which I really loved (The Kingdom) and really hated (Manderlay) and really loved AND really hated simultaneously (Dogville), plus the occasional work which I kinda remember being pretty good but don't recall any details (Zentropa). But his bizarre mischevious prankster nature is one of the things I really dislike about him, so I'm not sure if I'd want to watch a documentary which was specifically about him being a manipulative dick.

A.I.poster.jpg

Artificial Intelligence: A.I.

A seriously underrated movie that might actually be Spielberg's best (or at least his most complex/interesting) work to date, as well as his most misunderstood. People who say that the ending is overly sentimental pap are totally missing the point.

Also, godthedog is out of town for the weekend and asked me to make his selection for him. He picks Lost Highway.

return-of-the-living-dead.jpg

Return of the Living Dead - Dan O'Bannon (1985)

If I'm on a desert island, I want something to laugh my ass off to when thinking about the more depressing times, and nothing beats the dark, sadistic humor of Dan O'Bannon in this movie. A simultaneous riff on Romero's mythology and the entire 80's punk scene, the movie's a classic for its complete disregard of Romero's rules (which are the rules of zombie movies, ask anybody), its solid gore effects, its hilarity, and its classic punk soundtrack (featuring TSOL, The Cramps, and 45 Grave). Not to mention it being the only truly watchable film in the entire 5-flick series (all of the sequels are horrible, especially parts 4 and 5).

He picks Lost Highway.

cocksucker

Not to mention it being the only truly watchable film in the entire 5-flick series (all of the sequels are horrible

Boo-urns, Part 3 is awesome.

bill_and_teds_excellent_adventure.jpg

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

BIG childhood favorite. I've seen this flick around 625 times...give or take a few.

Now's the time to take it, I guess. R.I.P. George.

hardboiled.jpg

Hard-Boiled

John Woo's American movies have been mostly shit, and truthfully even a lot of his Hong Kong stuff doesn't age so well. But HOLY FECES is this one just flat-out amazing. Some of the best crazy balls-out gunfights in cinematic history are clustered together into one big box of awesome. Movies like Shoot 'Em Up are essentially one long tribute to this flick.

Scarface is one of the most overrated movies of all time.

If you mean overrated by public opinion, probably. But considering in the scope of this draft, it was not selected until the 10th round or something like that, it isn't "overrated" here, but rather "underrated".

Zodiac_movie.jpg

Zodiac

I really find the whole story with the Zodiac really interesting. And the movie is great, great performances from everyone in it.

shaun-of-the-dead.jpg

Shaun of the Dead

"A romantic comedy. With zombies." And they meant it. An amazing combination of slice-of-life nerdiness and badass heroics, and possibly my favorite entry in the Silver Age Of Zombie Flicks this decade has been.

Saw this one just last night and it immediately jumped very high on my favorite movies list:

walle-poster.jpg

Wall-E

Yup, I'm picking a film that is just barely two days old.

The people at Pixar have outdone themselves with this one, IMO.

It's just beautiful to look at. Very imaginative, touching and funny.