TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

children-of-men-poster-1.jpg

Children of Men

Maybe the best move made in the whole new millenium, for my money. Innovative story, great writing, great acting, sharp social commentary, and OH MY GOD is this one of the best shot movies I've ever seen. Check out those crazy long takes, even in the brutally intense action scenes. Also, it's one of the very few depictions of The Future which I've ever seen that actually looked plausible and realistic.

That was the last film of the decade so far that I had interest in selecting. There's a certain quality that a few recent films shot on handheld, even 28 Days Later, have and I find it really goes a long way in making me interested. Have you seen 21 Grams?

No, haven't seen any films by that director. Although his tendency to cast actresses I really like probably means I will, sooner or later. I started watching 21 Grams once and had to turn it off early for some reason, but I don't remember the first ten or fifteen minutes making much of an impression.

sixty_l.jpg

61*

One of my favourite sports movies. Both Thomas Jane and Barry Pepper are awesome, almost so much that I can't look at a picture of Roger Maris without thinking of Pepper.

Time to bring in some more funny:

airplane-thumb.jpg

Airplane! (1980)

I laughed hysterically the first time I saw this movie. Now, even when I know the jokes that are coming, I laugh just as hard. Who doesn't know at least one classic line from this movie (even if they don't know it's from this movie)?

forgetting-sarah-marshall-poster-0.jpg

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

I've watched most of the Apatow movies, and I thought this was the funniest one of the bunch. I've already seen it three times, and it's not even out on DVD yet.

07-07-the-king-of-comedy.jpg

The King of Comedy

Not as good as Taxi Driver or Raging Bull or the other Scorsese films in that tier, but I still really like this one.

Diminishing returns? I've still got more movies on my mental Want List than there are rounds left in the draft.

descent-poster.jpg

The Descent

Even if tomorrow I lost a couple of fingers in a horrible garbage disposal accident, I could still count on one hand the number of horror flicks from the past decade which I actually found to be scary. This is maybe my favorite of them. Six tough bitches descend into the world's scariest cave, and oh man is it awesome. One of the most aggressively intense atmospheres of claustrophobic terror this side of Alien, just a great nail-biter.

Took the first one and now...

Bogus_Journey_2.jpg

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

The movie series of my childhood. My cousin & I could recite this movie word for word. If I've seen the first one around 625 times (might be overexagerating there), it's something like twice that number for this one. William Sadler's performance as Death is one of my all-time faves.

Took the first one and now...

Bogus_Journey_2.jpg

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

The movie series of my childhood. My cousin & I could recite this movie word for word. If I've seen the first one around 625 times (might be overexagerating there), it has something like twice that number for this one. William Sadler's performance as Death is one of my all-time faves.

I've always liked this one way better than the first one and I like the first one. Even the most elitist movie snob will have a hard time not cracking a smile during The Seventh Seal parody. They don't make dumb teen comedies like the Bill and Ted movies anymore I tell ya.

RAN_MoviePoster.jpg

Ran

my favorite kurosawa. my favorite shakespeare adaptation. one of my favorite villains. achingly beautiful. i've always preferred color kurosawa to black-and-white kurosawa, and this is the best example of why.

19577349.jpg

The Thing - Carpenter (1982)

A horror classic, and the first in Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy. The second Carpenter film with Kurt Russell following the cult hit Escape From New York, and one of the true definitions of what makes Carpenter America's best at horror pacing. Amazing special effects that still hold up today, and the complete feeling of isolation and claustrophobia that every great horror movie has. A much better version of "Who Goes There?" than the original film adaptation, The Thing From Another World, or even the novella itself (yes, a rare case of the film outdoing the novel).

Alright, it was Ravenbomb's turn, but it's been twelve hours, so it went to Jorge. And then it was twelve more hours, so it's also gone to CM Funk. Someone go already.

The%20battle%20of%20Algiers.jpg

The Battle of Algiers

Probably the best war movie ever. Whoever is making the World War Z movie should get this movie force-fed to them Clockwork Orange style while they sleep.

Wings of Desire

Probably the best cinematography I've ever seen. Beyond that, Peter Falk and Bruno Ganz are wonderful and the writing is fine.

Return of the Jedi - Richard Marquand - 1983

jedi2.preview.jpg

Well, that knocks out the Star Wars trilogy for me. Happy to have it.

Whoever is making the World War Z movie should get this movie force-fed to them Clockwork Orange style while they sleep.

Glad to see somebody else is excited about this here but myself. Tight book, and I hope the movie keeps the same format (documentary-style with interviewed characters). Hopefully the Battle of Yonkers will be as brutal as it needs to be.

It has been 24 hours, so I am up again.

51rSbh46jpL._SS500_.jpg

Serenity by Joss Whedon

Come on, I'll need some Whedon on a desert island.

You know...I actually drove to DC and back in one day (8 hours each way) to see a screening of Serenity 3 months before it came out.

That was quite the memory that I should have drafted last round...but thought it would hold out another turn.

I was also sitting on Serenity in a "in case we get to round 19 and nobody's picked it and I'm not sure what I want yet" sort of fashion. Though truthfully I didn't quite love the movie as thoroughly and obsessively as I did the tv series.

the-juno-movie-poster_292x410.jpg

Juno

I know it doesn't get alot of love around here, but it is a favorite of mine. A great soundtrack, great acting, and great direction makes this a winner.