TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

Desert Island Draft: Movie Edition

Punch-Drunk Love

I think this is Anderson's most romantic and stylistically unique film yet.

poster1.jpg

Tremors - Ron Underwood (1990).

A childhood favorite, and I didn't see it snatched up yet, so here we go. Humor, gore, and GIANT FUCKING WORM MONSTERS. Who doesn't love this movie?

la-jetee.jpg

La jetée

It's less than 30 minutes long and is constructed almost entirely out of still b/w photos and yet it's totally moving and beautiful in ways that no other film is. The whole thing's on YouTube and so if you've got a half hour to kill I'd highly recommend watching it.

i cannot believe it. i was going to pick that. i cannot believe somebody else would think to pick that. it's not even a feature. ugh.

user624_1146450241.jpg

In the Mood for Love

sad, romantic, and gorgeous to look at. watching maggie cheung go out to get noodles in slow motion is a sight to behold. this is why wong kar-wai used to be awesome.

No this isn't a great movie by any means, but it is one of my favorite movies of all time, no matter what other people think...

This film's main character is who I actually chose my more famous TSM name (Porter) from:

payback.jpg

Payback, 1999

gen-lc-cannon.jpg

The General

I needed at least one silent film on here, and I needed some more comedy, so why not my favorite silent comedy? Fuck a buncha Chaplin or Lloyd, Keaton was where it's at in terms of jawdropping stunts and hilarious sight gags which have aged surprisingly well over the past eighty years. You just have to see some of the timing to believe it, like various stunts which involve Keaton hanging off or running in front of a very real moving train. I guess I could've picked Sherlock Jr. or The Navigator or a couple others to go here instead, but then I'd have to go back and re-watch all of them again just to be sure, and noooo, please don't force me to do that...

Punch-Drunk Love

I think this is Anderson's most romantic and stylistically unique film yet.

I think this is kind of a weird statement, because none of his other films were really romantic at all, except maybe Magnolia, and that was alternaromance if that. There Will Be Blood? That was about a completely hollow sociopath.

Easily the scariest/creepiest movie I've ever seen:

TheShining1980.jpg

The Shining (1980)

And, while this isn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece, it's my original favourite sports comedy:

major%20league.jpg

Major League (1989)

Yeah, I'm gonna drop out of this one. I keep saying to myself "oh, you'll get back into the swing of it on your next turn" but I never do and I just keep holding things up. So scratch my name off, please.

What? Seriously? We're in round #29423 and you quit now? C'mon.

::...looks at Ravenbomb's list::

If he does officially quit and his movies become fair game, then there's one I really want so I'm holding my pick til confirmation.

Well, time to be a vulture, cuz my next pick is

Taxi_Driver.jpg

Taxi Driver

It's probably not a good thing that I so thoroughly identify with this movie, but there it is. The most perfect cinematic depiction of a man's slide into madness that I've ever seen. This is my favorite Scorsese flick; it might not be as technically great as Raging Bull, but it's a lot easier to watch, and I'll take it over all his gangster pictures any day.

Let's continue with the "take Ravenbomb's scraps" portion of the draft...

monty_python_and_the_holy_grail_ver1.jpg

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

A comedy classic. One of the funniest movies ever made...if not THE funniest.

Taxi Driver

It's probably not a good thing that I so thoroughly identify with this movie, but there it is. The most perfect cinematic depiction of a man's slide into madness that I've ever seen.

I've said both of those things about There Will Be Blood. I find Taxi Driver to be a definite precursor, but I don't know, I don't quite identify with it as much, perhaps because there's a way in which Travis was justified. This is sort of implied by the ending. But I've been watching movies with that theme lately, as I mentioned to you. Those two, I Stand Alone, Falling Down, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (although this is moreso for Otis, who I find to be the more despicable character). Good stuff.

From what you've said about it alone, I do wanna see I Stand Alone now, but haven't found it readily available. Oh well, onto The Big List it goes.

there's a way in which Travis was justified. This is sort of implied by the ending.

Yeah, from a certain point of view. It's debatable. Scorsese's said in interviews that Travis isn't supposed to be saved or cured by the ending violence, that he's still completely nuts and that sooner or later he'll snap again. The bit with Cybil sorta flirting with him, that's more an indication of her shallowness marking out for his new celebrity than his internal redemption. I think it's just coincedence that everyone he actually killed did kinda deserve it. He did earlier intend to assassinate the politician dude, for no apparent reason.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (although this is moreso for Otis, who I find to be the more despicable character)

That's a toss-up in a way. Otis certainly took his shit to more loathesome depths than Henry did, with his sexual predation. But Henry was much more cunning and efficient, so he racked up a much higher quantity of victims than Otis ever could have. In the movie's universe, Otis would've gotten caught before too long, but Henry could still be out there. (Great movie either way; you think this was the first time a film had a truly realistic depiction of psycho killers?)

ghost_world.JPG

Ghost World

hey look, it's scarlett johansson when she's not trying to remind us all how hot she is.

maybe i love this movie more than i should, but i think it's great. i love the way it takes its time with storytelling, wandering a lot. i love the hazy not-in-high-school-but-not-in-college kind of "what the fuck do i do now" uncertainty, and even when i watch it now it still feels very familiar to me.

poster1.jpg

Lost in Translation

Hey look, it's Scarlett Johannson looking totally hot in her underwear.

Also, Bill Murray's best performance. His karaoke rendition of "More Than This" is like the most melancholy shit ever. And that scene where they're just lying in bed watching TV and talking about life and shit? Oh man. I can't watch this movie without being overcome by a feeling of wistful longing.

if that's what you're looking for, you should definitely check out 'in the mood for love'. totally lyrical and heartbreaking.

but yeah, sofia coppola's really good for wistful longing. i love the scene in the elevator where they're saying goodbye and they're not sure how much contact is appropriate.