TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

One Night Stand Roundtable

First, the introduction...

KKC: Chat organizer, goofball

HTQ: Former head of the folder

909: Current head of the folder

Oldskool: Our most level-headed participant, of that I am sure.

BPS: Former writer for the site...

We'll start with...

Beth Phoenix vs. Melina in an I Quit Match

HTQ (5:02:59 PM):I didn't even know it was I Quit, and I was actually watching Raw this week . Beth Phoenix kicks the shit out of Melina and makes her quit with the over-the-shoulder backbreaker. It'll be short but good, considering. Seven minutes and **1/2

909 (5:04:45 PM):There's not enough time for this to be I Quit, in my opinion. Uh, it won't matter anyway. I expect Phoenix to win. These two aren't going to bleed, so I don't see the point. And I hate watching women bleed, so if they do, I'll hate it. There's not enough time for this to be I Quit, in my opinion. Uh, it won't matter anyway. I expect Phoenix to win.

bps (5:05:41 PM):I guess this match makes sense since Mickie would logically defend at Night Of Champions. This just reaks of TV match to me though, and with so many people that can't make ppv...this shouldn't really be on it. It won't suck, but you won't remember it 2 seconds later. Just to get Beth's backbreaker more over I guess.

oldskool (5:07:02 PM): Two "brawlers" who don't use weapons or fight outside the ring on an "Extreme" pay-per-view. Good match, but it's clearly the odd match out. Beth wins, she's been too dominant to lose...I just question why they're jobbing Melina so heavy lately.

King Kamala Classic (5:07:53 PM):Yeah, I predict this will be the least intense I Quit match since David Flair Vs M.I. Smooth on a random Nitro that I taped for reasons beyond me.

HTQ (5:08:07 PM):Temporary insanity?

King Kamala Classic (5:08:14 PM):That being said it'll be a half decent TV match. Beth wins in semi-dominant fashion.

oldskool (5:09:05 PM): Anyone else feel like they hotshotted the belt off of Beth, and now realize that they can't job her without ruining the push, but can't put her over without just giving her the belt back?

909 (5:09:08 PM):i honestly can't think of anything positive to say about this

King Kamala Classic (5:09:36 PM):it'll be a decent match. At worst, it won't be actively terrible or anything. I just don't see why they made it an I Quit match. It's the type of match that has a reputation to live up to.

909 (5:10:15 PM):This is on PPV while the ECW Champ sits. On an extreme rules PPV.

oldskool (5:10:38 PM): There aren't any "Extreme Rules" matches, even. Just stipulation matches.

King Kamala Classic (5:10:52 PM):I find it odd that Kane is prominently advertised for this show and isn't even on it.

Big Show Vs John Morrison Vs Tommy Dreamer Vs Chavo Guerrero Vs CM Punk in a Singapore Cane Match.

HTQ (5:14:34 PM):It'll suck . It'll be disorderly chaos, a random bunch of spots with no rhyme or reason, and Big Show will chokeslam the JTTS, CM Punk, for the win. :Ten minutes and *1/

909 (5:15:50 PM):Here's what I see happening, dumbassed as it may sound. Show beats Punk. That's a duh. Match will be DUD'Y. After that, Kane faces Big Show at Night of Champions...Punk cashes MitB and wins. Nobody cares.

bps (5:17:10 PM):Let's see...Chavo, Dreamer and Morrison have no chance. The winner of this gets a title shot so it's obviously Big Show. Big Show vs. Kane makes me want to fucking vomit...but that's the world we live in. Let's just hope it doesn't get the HHH/Orton, Edge/Taker treatment of 1000 rematches. Match sucks btw.

oldskool (5:18:25 PM): Big Show pins Dreamer; the match is going to suck, they'll need a match-finishing spot to try to salvage it and that's Dreamer's specialty. Punk doesn't look too shitty, but he does virtually nothing in the match outside of participate in the "Four guys beat up Big Show with sticks" spot.

King Kamala Classic (5:19:13 PM):I'm holding out hope that this will be a fun WWE style garbage hardcore match but that probably won't happen...good to have hope I guess. Anyways, I think Show pins Chavo and CM Punk isn't really much of a factor in this match. I don't think it'll border on negative star territory but it won't be very good. You know I was so beaten down during my semi-markdom days when Triple H was burying Booker T and RVD that I don't really carry about CM Punk's burial. WWE hasn't given me much reason to care about CM Punk period.

Not a knock against the guy, he's obviously a great wrestler but as someone who doesn't watch much ROH or indy stuff and didn't see his TNA stuff, I just don't really care much about ther guy.

bps (5:22:56 PM):His RoH stuff was real good...but where he is going to get an hour with Joe or 20 minutes with Homicide? Part of wrestling is learning to be entertaining in 6 minutes or less. Punk hasn't quite gotten there yet

Jeff Hardy Vs UMAGA in a Falls Count Anywhere Match

HTQ (5:28:52 PM):This should see some creative flying from the Jeff . They usually have great matches on PPV, and this will probably be no different. I think, and hope, it'll wind up in the back, where Jeff will win a twelve minute, **** affair with a swanton bomb from some height off of some platform, possible through a table

909 (5:31:23 PM): Ok, Jeff showcase of course. I'd like to see Jeff climb up the stage and jump off it onto Umaga. Obviously this will lead us to Jeff vs. Jericho at a later date. Nothing wrong with that. Probably be ***.

bps (5:32:13 PM):I think this will be really good, since they usually give Hardy time. The crowd will probably be into this more than almost anything because he's so stupidly popular. Hardy will dive off something and win, Umaga will go to Smackdown where he may be able to win a feud. Jeff is one drug test away from being TNA World Champion, so that future match for the IC title is probably his ceiling

oldskool (5:33:30 PM): Umaga dominates, Jeff takes advantage of a slip-up and throws himself off of something onto Umaga for the win. I'd like to see the match leave the arena, but that doesn't fit Jeff's style nearly as well, so I doubt it will.

King Kamala Classic (5:35:26 PM):I'm glad to finally say...this one's going to be good. I've always been a fan of big man-little man matches since I saw The Rockers Vs The Twin Towers at WrestleMania V. And Jeff Hardy and UMAGA have been having some of the best big man-little man matches in recent history. Hardy usually gets a good amount of time on these shows so they should give this one the time it warrants. I bet it ends with Jeff doing the Swanton off of some high place onto UMAGA possibly through a table. Should be a ***-***1/2 star affair. As everybody else has said, obviously a Jeff showcase. UMAGA probably goes onto Smackdown!

First Blood. John Cena Vs JBL. The Judgment Day match seemed to divide the IWC. What does everyone think about this one?

HTQ (5:41:49 PM):zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I have zero interest in this one . I like watching Cena, but JBL matches cure insomnia. Not even the prospect of a five alarm blade job can make me care about his stuff. It'll be a decent brawl, but not much more because the kinds of shortcuts these two need for a great match are being saved for the top two matches. It'll be a nice enough brawl that goes fifteen minutes and is **1/2, but you'll have some out there swearing it was a **** affair.

909 (5:45:19 PM):I love JBL, let's just get that out of the way. But I really don't like that....

1. The outcome of this match is not at all in doubt.

2. The gimmick is useless on this style of PPV. Ok, not useless, but it isn't too important.

3. RAW has so many undercard matches on this show. That's a little off topic, but still. Fuck. Cena wins after 15 minutes, ***.

bps (5:47:11 PM):I don't even know what to say here. There's a bunch of problems running through my head. First: The only chance that I think this had of being really good is if it was a bloodbath. But the match ends at the first sign of blood. At least that'll get them brawling. Last month they opened the ppv, and JBL (whose ONLY IN RING attribute is that he's a decent at best brawler) decides that 6 minute holds are the key to hot opener. My only prediction is the match is decent...and that ANKLELOCK will pop in the thread and state "I knew this would steal the show"

oldskool (5:49:28 PM): Echo. Unless this turns Warrior/Shango and blood appears completely nonsensically like somebody poured a bucket over their head, I don't care. Bradshaw wins because he's due, but it cheapens the PPV as a whole.

King Kamala Classic (5:50:43 PM):uh I hate to say "what King said", but basically I agree with what he said. It should be a solid *** match with Cena going over. My only problem with this is this whole feud just screams "placeholder feud." Nothing is really going to come out of it for either party. Cena's just biding his time until he can get into another World title program.

HTQ (5:52:10 PM):Didn't someone here call Cena's rapid fire elimination from the JD main event?

King Kamala Classic (5:52:30 PM):you mean Backlash? bps (5:52:35 PM):My problem with all this is that Smackdown commentary has gotten worse since JBL left, and the Raw uppercard has gotten worse since JBL joined it. Play to your strengths Bradshaw.

HTQ (5:52:40 PM):Backlash, then . They blend together

HBK-Batista Stretcher Match...

HTQ (5:58:55 PM):This should have great heat Shawn will sell his ass off to make Batista look good. I think Batista wins, but not ever trying everything he can to put Shawn down, and possibly doing something really heavy to finally get the win . It might even hint at a heel turn. But Batista wins a **** affair, with lots of heat and emotion

909 (6:00:45 PM):Hmm...I'm going to say that this isn't the end, first off. I also think Batista wins, but for some reason I don't know if he's gonna do the winning, if you follow. Maybe Jericho will turn and push Shawn over the line, I don't know. Probably ****1/4. Where this is going to end, I don't know.

bps (6:02:45 PM):I feel pretty good about this match. It's odd cause in storyline you'd figure Batista owes HBK an asskicking...but the crowd didn't care that HBK faked an injury the last time. Either way, Batista has been ON lately and HBK is always good. It's Batista's turn to win, and I'd like to see him outsmart HBK for a turn on the last match. Don't know how the gimmick factors in...but I like that between these 2 and Jericho they haven't turned anyone. Makes it more interesting and unpredicable.

oldskool (6:04:18 PM): Very good match. Crowd should be hot, depending on where it's placed on the card. Michaels plays possum while Batista wheels him towards the 'finish line', then escapes the stretcher. They fight for a little bit, Michaels hits SCM, Batista lands on the stretcher and his momentum ends up wheeling it across the line for the HBK win. They don't have anything set for these guys post-match, they need it to continue and if Dave wins, there's no reason to keep going.

King Kamala Classic (6:05:41 PM):This'll be a ****+ affair. I also don't think this will be the blowoff rather the match before the blowoff and if they play their cards correctly, the match before the match before the blowoff. I think Batista wins after some sort of somewhat dastardly act and hints at a heel turn. Not much more to say that hasn't been said, it'll be a MOTN cotender.

909 (6:06:35 PM):I wanted to clarify that I was only being half-serious when I said that Jericho would wheel Shawn across the line. But he will get involved.

King Kamala Classic (6:06:58 PM):I really want to see this feud to end with a HITC match at SummerSlam. I don't know if they can extend it that long.

bps (6:07:30 PM):Only HHH and Taker are allowed to be in HIAC matches!

oldskool (6:07:33 PM): Where does Jericho fit in after the double countout and wussed-out-on chair shots from Raw?

909 (6:08:11 PM):More time for Jericho to think about it. It's not like he got removed from the picture.

Triple H Vs Randy Orton Last Man Standing match for the WWE title

HTQ (6:11:26 PM):Yes, lots of blood and shortcuts. It'll have heat, but for some reason, I don't see it getting the kind of heat people expect, and I think it'll just about hit ****. It'll be good, but not great. Hunter wins after kicking out of a couple of RKO's and hitting, at most, two pedigree's.

909 (6:14:25 PM):The heat was a large factor in LMS at No Mercy being so good. The thing is, they've pushed this SO LONG that really, I don't think people are going to give a fuck. Of course, HHH wins. Of course, it'll be good. But the crowd won't be into it.

bps (6:14:45 PM):I am so done with this match. It just hit me that they'll actually HAVE TO put someone new against HHH...so that means to me that JBL is winning against Cena, hmm...we can see JBL/HHH AND Kane/Show at Night of champions. WWE making new stars all the time! Anyway...match will be good. But no one will care at this point. They're really stretching this past the point of even the biggest mark caring.

oldskool (6:17:06 PM): HHH wins with the classic dodge of the punt, kickwhampedigree combination. I'd rather see Orton win, but it's all good. Next PPV, if I'm not mistaken, would be the Night of Champions, and if that goes to the "All former champions v. the champion" stipulation we get...another fatal fourway with JBL, Cena, Orton & HHH? There's no hope for the title scene any time soon, barring a MITB cash-in.

King Kamala Classic (6:18:42 PM):As much as I hate to go with the +1 crowd. Triple H goes over Orton in a ***1/2ish match that the crowd isn't all that hot about since they've stretched this about three months too long

Edge vs. The Undertaker for the World Heavyweight Title in a TLC match...

HTQ (6:25:26 PM):TLC will be great. ****1/2 of crazy mayhem, teriffic heat, bumps galore and run-ins. Twenty minutes of greatness, with tons of heat and all the usual TLC madness. Undertaker wins after a Last Ride off a ladder, over the top rope, and through a table

909 (6:27:19 PM):The stipulation is what's going to generate the heat. Um, there's no reason to believe Taker won't win. As long as it isn't too long. It really shouldn't be. I'd say that both lackeys go through tables...if Vickie goes through a table, the place would fuckin' explode. They've gotta do it. Should be the ultimate blowoff match. Not *****, but it could be very close. I still want the feud to be over, so it's good all around. That'll be accomplished.

bps (6:29:19 PM):This feud has gotten a little long in the tooth also, but unlike Orton/HHH this match should be the big blowoff that a long feud deserves. These guys bring it every time and this stipulation sets it up for pure gold. i still don't see the point of stripping Taker if he's just going to win it back...but whatever. Taker wins an excellent match that hopefully goes on last where it belongs.

oldskool (6:30:42 PM): I'm really, really tempted to make a stupid prediction. But it was right last time so I'm going for it again. Edge wins, only to have Taker get drafted in a few weeks. It just makes no sense to strip Taker of his belt, and put his career on the line in Edge's specialty match to job Edge when they've already been jobbing Edge since March. Whether it's a "glitch" that puts Taker in the draft pool, or a legit reinstatement before the draft, I don't know.

King Kamala Classic (6:32:25 PM):As apathetic as I am towards this feud, this match is going to rock the shit and serve as a good blowoff. It's my choice for MOTN. I think 'Taker wins after putting Edge, the Rated Rmy and hopefully Vickie through a table. 'Taker juices... I meant tables not all five of them through a single table, although...that would be impressive. Anyways yeah, ****1/2. Perhaps one of the best TLC matches ever?

HTQ (6:33:43 PM):I wonder if Vickie will get the insane heat she got at JD. That was a thing of beauty, the heat she got

909 (6:34:11 PM):They're in San Diego. Oh, she will.

oldskool (6:34:35 PM): No Mysterio on the 619 card? he's got to make an appearance of some kind.

King Kamala Classic (6:34:45 PM):I was just about to say, he should be making an appearance of some kind. If he's close to returning, I'd like to see him cost Edge the match and proceed to do a revenge angle.

HTQ (6:35:27 PM):Around June 14th..."According to one source, the belief is that Rey Misterio will return to the ring on June 14th at the house show in Salt Lake City. Right now he's only billed as making a special guest appearance." I do know he was booked for a few shows and then pulled off, so apparently he didn't heal quite as fast as he'd expected."

We touched on WWE giving away money for those that watch RAW, but I deleted it. It was kinda jumbled. Yeah guys, discuss. First off, to anyone in the chat, was my editing job a good one? I left in the times because it's a lot of work to ditch them.

Wow. I got name-dropped. I didn't think I was a moderately known poster. Maybe I should keep praising the hell outta JBL matches. For the record, it still puzzles me why people think the Cena/JBL match won't be that good. We all saw what they did at JD. I know that match was divisive, but it was more like "that match ruled vs. that match was just good". I don't think anybody thought the match just sucked and those that were not thrilled by it said they liked the I Quit Match, and this one ought to be right down that ally.

I mean, what gives?

Well, for one thing virtually all First Blood matches suck since the gimmick itself sucks. Oooh, a guy starts bleeding, let's call for the bell! It resolves nothing and in this case is a cheap way for JBL to get a win without really having Cena put him over.

That said, this show very well could be hell on wheels good. HHH/Orton is totally played out but this should be a very good match if it's like the previous LMS. Edge/UT is likewise played out but TLC should rock on this PPV.

I know that when this show first started One Night Stand always got pitted against Vengence because apparently the WWE boys wanted to show they could draw better and have higher buyrates.

With that being said, traditionally, the last 3 years, what show has been better?

One Night Stand or Vengence?

It's funny 2 weeks ago everybody wanted the Edge/Taker feud to be over, but bring in a ladder, everbody is talking about how awesome this is going to be...And yes, it will be awesome.

JBL/Cena might not be as good as JD, because 1st blood matches aren't all that good anyway, but it should still be very good.

HHH/Orton LMS should be awesome.

HBK/Batista: If HBK is actually beatdown and has to be taken out on the stretcher it could be awesome. If it ends like Van Dam/Orton it won't be too good.

Stream info:

If you want a good quality stream of this PPV, I know a guy who gives private streams. I have ordered a few before, and never had any problems. Picture/Sound worked 100% through the shows. It also sounds and looks GOOD, not shitty. The cost is $5 payable through paypal. He does most WWE and UFC PPVs, so he's a good contact to have if you're like me and can't afford to order them all from the companies.

If this isn't allowed to be here for legal reasons, go ahead and delete this post, and my apologies. I just know alot of people are always asking for streams, so why not drop a few bucks for a good one?

Why pay some schmuck five bucks when you can find it for free with a simple google search? I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking. Or just wait a day and get it off PWTorrents like everyone else.

Because the stream you find with the google search will be choppy, not in sync at times, and maybe cut out in the middle of a big match.

It's a cheaper alternative to ordering the web show off wwe.com, is all. For me, five bucks is like nothing, and it's worth it for me to get a reliable stream. Anyways, I don't care, I'm not getting anything out of it, I just brought it up as an alternative for people who might want it.

Edit: Also, I bet "Does anyone have a good stream?" will be asked in this thread at least 10 times throughout the show... So maybe it isn't as simple as a google search after all.

Speaking of first blood matches, has anyone ever done a spot where one of the wrestlers bust their knuckles open from punching their opponent, losing the match?

Not in WWE.

JR has, in the past, emphatically said during first blood matches that the referee won't call it for a scratch on the elbow or something equally as minor. And it's a good thing they covered their bases that way, because one time in the late 90s - I want to say the Austin-Kane match from KOR 98 - Austin got a small cut on his back or arm after hitting the railing, and the referee just let it go like it never happened.

Speaking of first blood matches, has anyone ever done a spot where one of the wrestlers bust their knuckles open from punching their opponent, losing the match?

Joe cut his arm in a 1st blood match with Tomko and lost. It was one of those "original" TNA ideas.

Am I the only one who wishes they would hurry up and update the gimmick mathes?

I really hate the first Blood stipulation, I believe a "blood First" would be a better option Ie pinfall only but ONLY when each man is bleeding, that way you could have the heel make the face bleed early but not be beatable until the face makes the heel finally bleed.

I just think that the last few years of the WWE have been reliving past glories and itstime to make a new generation able to call matches they're own, kind of like how Hell in a Cell and TLC are older matches.

I jut wish this was the PPV were the opportunity to take a chance, hell the last "original" match is the elimination chamber at 5-odd years old.

So, are you a fan of all the ridiculous bullshit matches in TNA then?

I thought, and still believe that TNA could be described in a variation of that old cliche:

Lions led by lambs

i.e lions led by fuckwits

were by the matches Ultimate X, terror dome and hell even the JOE vs Angle match are at least SOMETHING DIFFERENT but you can't blame the wrestlers for the awful, awful booking.

the matches themselves have at least been some interesting attempts at revolutionising the industry, I just find "first blood" to be a cop-out, and stretcher & LMS to be too full of unbelieveable, crowd killing, rest periods... Am I wrong??

I would rather have old, classic wrestling standbys than new attempts at stuff like "reverse battle royal" or "king of the mountain" any day of the week, personally.

I just think it's overkill when you slapped several on one card. Like tonight with One Night Stand or annually in TNA with the Lockdown PPV.

At least ONS isn't the same gimmick all night. This should be the night to finally blow off some long running feuds, which can be appealing to fans but not when there is so little time to build these matches.

Hardy vs Umaga was kind of lame. My favourite spot was Hardy sliding down the railing into a cross body on the stairs. I would have rather seen Hardy Swanton off something lower, than off the top of the truck to where we can't see. I hate when they do that. No, it's not obvious that you have a giant mattress back there. *1/2

I thought that match was fantastic. Its been awhile since we've seen the falls count anywhere stip used in such a manner in a WWE match that they actually finish the match outside the arena. That was way better than I expected it to be.

On a side note, the entrance stage for this ppv is fucking cool as hell.

Annoyingly cheesy finish, but the exterior shots made for some different visuals. Matches that go outside the arena must annoy the live crowd though.

BTW, did Adamle just say that Morrison has "the body of a goddess?"