TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

One Night Stand Roundtable

You're probably right to some degree but it's easier to job out Orton and get him off TV than it is to do the same with HHH. Has HHH ever really had a decent face run with the title?

I don't especially want to see HHH vs. UT. I still have nightmares about KOTR 2002 (and not just because my boy Van Dam jobbed to Lesnar).

Pending whatever changes the draft might bring to RAW, If they want a fresh program for HHH that has potential to draw over the summer they should turn Jericho heel and put him over HBK to build into a title program with Hunter. And maybe not make him look like a total jerkoff goober like they did the last time they worked together. The only "problem" with that is that they'd get some split crowd reactions because Jericho has such a loyal fanbase and HHH isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea, but that really isn't a problem unless they make it one by booking against it.

You're probably right to some degree but it's easier to job out Orton and get him off TV than it is to do the same with HHH. Has HHH ever really had a decent face run with the title?

I don't especially want to see HHH vs. UT. I still have nightmares about KOTR 2002 (and not just because my boy Van Dam jobbed to Lesnar).

Yea, I remember that classic. I believe it took place just a couple days after Taker and HHH gave the lockerroom a speech about how no one except them knew how to work a match.

Edge is a 5-time, 5-time, 5-time, 5-time, 5-time World Champion. Crazy.

He's actually tied with Taker in total title reigns, LOL. That makes me very happy. :)

Edge:

1. Beat Cena for WWE title.

2. Beat RVD and Cena in triple threat fro WWE title.

3. Beat Undertaker for World title.

4. Beat Batista and Undertaker in triple threat for World title.

5. Beat Undertaker for World title.

Undertaker:

1. Beat Hulk Hogan for WWF title.

2. Beat Sycho Sid for WWF title.

3. Beat Steve Austin for WWF title.

4. Beat Batista for World title.

5. Beat Edge for World title.

Of course, Edge has won all his since January 2006, while it's taken Undertaker almost 17 years.

And I agree with Jed- 3rd best PPV this year after Mania and the RR, maybe 2nd after Mania. Looked kind of shitty on paper, but turned out great.

Holy shit, this show was way better then I was expecting.

I didn't see Edge winning at all, going into this.

Taker showed legit emotion for the first time ever that I can remember. He had tears running down his cheeks at the end there, walking out. I'm guessing he takes his annual sabbatical, and comes back sometime later this year to set up another match with Edge, but this time in The Cell. That way both dudes get to use their big gimmick matches in the fued. Mybe Taker will come back, and do all that, and end his career at Mania next year, losing his streak and his career to Edge.

Anyway about it, they had the match of the night, no doubt.

HBK/Batista takes second place, then Beth/Melina.

The Cane match was fucking ill. Show vs. Kane when Show was ECW champ was really good, and now Show is in the best shape I've seen him in since like, 96'. So, I'm expecting some pretty good shit there.

Hardy/Umaga didn't live up to their past big matches against each other. The Swanton spot at the end was pretty cool and all, but it's about as believable as when SCSA killed HHH in a car that time.

Cena/JBL was cool for what it was. Whoever said that the ref checking after every move for blood making the match's pace way too slow is right as hell.

The finish to this one was cool, too. I would have much rather seen Cena lose by getting busted open, then snapping on JBL and beating him to a bloody pulp. Maybe if the blood pack didn't bust so soon it would have been a little more dramatic.

HHH/Orton - Gotdammit, this almost ruined the show for me. Orton getting an injury that serious at this time can either totally fuck his future. Or if he comes back as a tweener, while keeping his psycho tendencies gimmick he's got goin' on now, to face a heel HHH it could actually do wonders for him, i think.

If nothing else, maybe Punk can cash in The MITB on HHH now. I don't even care if he loses, I just wanna see it.

I'm gonna guess that Batista moves on to fued with Edge again now, and HBK will continue his fued with Jericho now.

WWE has really stepped up their game lately. Good, solid fueds with pretty straight forward booking. Having longer fueds is something I've wanted to see for a while now. Not longer fueds like HBK/HHH from a 4 or 5 years ago, but longer fueds like they've been doing. Nothings really stale right now, which is the first time I can really say that about any pro wrasslin' for a long ass time now.

Even shit like Rhodes/Holly as tag champs seems like it'll turn into something better then it has any right to be.

I've watched every ppv this year since the Rumble, and I haven't been dissapointed yeat. This is the best streak of good ppvs they've pulled of for a long minute.

I'm fuckin' tired, I'm goin' to bed. peace, niggas.

I was pretty tired last night when watching the PPV, so I'll watch again today to get the full feel of it. Though the Cane and TLC matches were awesome no matter what state of mind your in

the ratings with Orton on top are dead in the water, it's time to just move on. Thing is, what is there to move on to?

Wasn't the ratings just fine before WM? I thought the ratings went into the toilet after Mania with Triple H on top again.

He's actually tied with Taker in total title reigns, LOL. That makes me very happy. :)

Edge:

Undertaker:

Of course, Edge has won all his since January 2006, while it's taken Undertaker almost 17 years.

And I agree with Jed- 3rd best PPV this year after Mania and the RR, maybe 2nd after Mania. Looked kind of shitty on paper, but turned out great.

You forgot The Undertaker's Undisputed Championship run in 2002.

Again, does anyone seriously think HHH is going to take the blame for bad ratings? It very well might just be that this HHH/Orton feud is just toxic to wrestling fans at this point. The heat is gone with this feud, so before we can pronounce HHH's title run a bust I'd like to see him feud with someone else. If ratings keep sliding, then it is HHH's fault and it's time to get the belt off him. But to put it on who exactly? Cena again?

Edge:

Undertaker:

You forgot The Undertaker's Undisputed Championship run in 2002.

I wish you hadn't reminded me.

Why all this talk about ratings? Do they really matter? They're doing the best business in the history of their company right now regardless, so I'd say their not all that concerned.

If that were the case, they wouldn't be pulling attention seeking stunts such as a million dollar sweepstakes. USA is worried about the ratings and that's important for WWE. If ratings continue to freefall, USA will get involved.

The ratings problem is because the wwe only focuses on the main event and the main event is stale as hell - Undertaker, HHH, HBK, Cena, Edge, Orton, and Batista. They've all wrestled and feuded with each other and it's the law of diminishing returns.

There is basically three current mid card guys that I think could reasonably be elevated to ME level - MVP, Matt Hardy and CM Punk. Regal and Jeff Hardy could have been pushed up but both are wrestling with two strikes and an automatic firing hanging over their heads. I'd love to see Finlay fight HBK but that isn't a money feud, and they have Finlay saddled with Hornswoggle.

With the top guys all desperately protecting their spots there is no room at the top.

The ratings problem is because the wwe only focuses on the main event and the main event is stale as hell - Undertaker, HHH, HBK, Cena, Edge, Orton, and Batista. They've all wrestled and feuded with each other and it's the law of diminishing returns.

Not quite true. A couple pairings are still left to be done out of that group. Both are capable of being big WM type draws.

I quite enjoyed the show. I've seen some negative reviews for HBK/Batista but I was really into it, and Jericho's faux support of Michaels so Batista could beat him up some more was terrific. Orton getting a round of applause for getting up and walking to the back only to heel on the audience was also amazing. And who didn't love Mike Adamle name-dropping Gemini? I really enjoyed Melina vs. Beth too. I just love Beth though.

Now that Taker "isn't an employee" of WWE, I guess he's all set to win the million dollars and buy his way back onto SmackDown.

It ended with a blood capsule- fuck that match

Plus it looked like JBL popped the capsule early, before Cena even got the chain around his neck. So basically, the First Blood Match ended with internal bleeding via drop toehold.

Having not seen WrestleMania, this was probably the best PPV of the year IMO. Maybe because it had something different going for it, unlike the endless stream of shows with the same matches that just blend together. Maybe because finally some of these endless feuds might have ended already. Maybe because they actually surprised me in the main event. Who knows? I think the moral of the show is, don't get new theme music. One of Kennedy's many bad spells came right around the time, Hardy ended up suspended within weeks and now Orton's out of commission within weeks.

Not quite true. A couple pairings are still left to be done out of that group. Both are capable of being big WM type draws.

Undertaker vs Cena and HHH vs Edge?

Undertaker vs Cena and HHH vs Edge?

Edge-HHH. Cena-Batista. 'Taker-Cena could work at WM25 as an attraction match.

I was at that KOTR. I was so pissed off when they jobbed RVD out to Lesnar.

what happened to show's eye?

they did the classic pick up the ring stairs, get tripped up, and beat your face off the stairs spot at One Night Stand, but when Show took the bump he must have got the edge of the step I guess.

I was wondering if that was real or just a low blade job.

From the live shot they showed him take the bump last night on the ppv, it looked completely legitimate. Show kind of fell funny on the way down and misjudged when he would make impact with the side of the stairs and he knocked himself good. I also would have been very shocked if the writers would have let Show do a bladejob like that right before the first blood match. Show's hardway blood totally came across better than Cena/JBL's finish for sure, and I'm sure that wasn't the intention.

I also want to add that the main event was tremendous and what made it probably more notable than anything else on the card was that I was in total shock when Edge actually won. I thought for sure, we'd see Taker rise up after the huge table bump, and then Edge was en route to taking some other big spot as a receipt. When it didn't happen and Edge actually won, I think it shocked the crowd just as much as me. Taker winning was a virtual given, so we thought, as it was the unofficial selling point of the show in a way.

Whatever the case, it was the first time in a long time that the main event, particularly the finish of a ppv was that strongly done, and preceded by a HELL of an undercard. Even the Orton/HHH match was strong before the injury, and the Orton injury itself almost made this ppv stand out as better than the rest even more. While an injury like that is never good, and having to rush a finish as well, the dymanic of the situation was entertaining as hell and will become a memorable moment this year for sure, as HHH was getting heat on himself for fucking around with Orton after the injury, and Orton got the respect applause from the crowd for fighting thru it a bit longer after the injury occured. And then for Orton to respond in the way he did back to the crowd was heelish gold. As some have already said, a RNN vignettes return would be perfect, and him forging together an alliance with a guy like Batista and maybe Ted DiBiase Jr as well would be solid when he returns.

I still think Orton / Batista could be a good WM main event for one of the titles.