TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

A "straight kimura" has roughly the same effect as the regular kimura (IE- targets the shoulder), but is harder to finish, as having to extend one's own arms to get the proper torque lessens the power & leverage you can put into the move.

Apparently two premier betting agencies have taken the Tim Sylvia v. Arlovski match out of their site. That can either mean that the bets were too one-sided, or that the fight is in danger of being taken off the card, for whatever reason.

Notes:

- The "TV deal" is close, however the network wants more of a reality-based show rather than the Friday Night Fights concept. I guess that means following around fighters and watching them train.

- The winner of Franca/Edwards will face Josh Thompson for the Lightweight title.

- The winners of Murray/? and Baroni/Tanner at UFC 48 will face each other and the winner of that will face Matt Lindland.

Guest sean pyro

I thought the biggest news to come out of that interview was UFC is going to do another show in Japan.

Notes:

- The "TV deal" is close, however the network wants more of a reality-based show rather than the Friday Night Fights concept. I guess that means following around fighters and watching them train.

So the network wants the show be like "The Contender" which is produced by Sly Stallione? Does tv need another Tough Enough show?

No, no they don't. The pros and cons of the reality show would be:

Pro: Builds up PPVs by emotionally attached the viewer to the fighter. More buys.

: It's better than the nothing they have now

: Lower production costs since it's just a camera crew following them around.

Cons:

:It's not fighting.

:It's reality TV

----------

The Ortiz/Liddell interview was unremarkable. Tito dominated Chuck verbally and Liddell didn't seem like he wanted to be there. Tito did 90% of the talking which were very promo-like and made fun of Liddell alot.

From da Meltz

--It's already been reported in Japan that Zero-One's Hirotaka Yokoi will be added in Wednesday's announcement of the final eight competitors in the Pride Grand Prix. Yokoi is 10-0 in MMA matches, but has never faced a top-level fighter. This puts two Zero-One guys in there with Predator also involved.

yokoi.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfi...?fighterid=1334

PRIDE: What's your favorite submission?

Yokoi: Chicken-wing arm-lock and the ju-ji arm-bar.

For another perspective, the people I watched it with said he was trying to look like Saint of Killers, a villain in a comic book called Preacher, who eventually kills God:

saint1.jpg

It has the I'm a walking deadman" thing going for it, so it would most likely fit the bill.

Onto MMA, the next eight participants are announced Wednesday. Yeah.

You thought it was bland? I thought the LAW interview was alright. I felt for Chuck when The Mouth went: "Tito, you wore personalized shirts after you beat Mezger and Shamrock, so do you have a shirt planned to wear when you win on Friday?"

Tito: "Oh man you're just as confident as I am!"

Guest Jimmy Saint

random thoughts -

- Don't know why UFC did'nt just forget about the Baroni vs Tanner rematch and just announce Baroni vs Murray. Thats is obisiolsy what they are aiming for. I mean they forgot about the whole bloody champ belt in the past why not a rematch :huh:

- Hope Sapp is among the remaining contestants for the Pride heavyweight tourny as hopefully is Josh Barnett. Should make it the biggest cash cow Pride event of all time if they do so.

- back to Lindland. I'm a fan of Murray due to homeland bias and I understand why Baroni sells more tickets for them but to sell out their best middleweight would be momumently stupid [if we ignore Busta for a minuite, infact try and ignore his last two loses while were at it and hope UFC bring him back as challenger once they clear Murray and Baroni up so wins the belt again].

- Saint of Killers [and I love preacher btw] is nothing original. Go rent all the classic westerns. Herring is just being a redneck cowboy outlaw son of biotch.

- Infact those Herring figures are fucking rubbish I never buy figures. Out side of the the Resovoir Dogs ones I have.

Theres is some bloody good Bob Sapp and Wanderlai Silva realistic looking Jap figures out there though I would'nt mind owning if they weren't so dear to buy..

Credit subfighter.com for all this news, great site with tons of videos to download. Credit Lei Tong with opening my eyes to that great site :)

-----------------

The Ultimate Fighting Championship received a huge national endorsement tonight as it appeared on an episode of HBO's smash series The Sopranos. According to Nielson Media Research, The Sopranos is the top rated cable television program in the U.S. with approximately 10 million viewers tuning in weekly. The UFC received a short plug as A.J. Soprano, son of the main character, was shown watching Chuck Liddell versus Renato 'Babalu' Sobral from UFC 40

------------

MMA legends and stepbrothers, Ken and Frank Shamrock, have reunited according to Frank himself. The two will be training together in the future.

------------

According to the BTT's Muay-Thai teacher Luis Alves, Rodrigo Nogueira Minotauro has already scheduled his Muay Thai training for the GP. 'He is gonna rest a little bit and we gonna train his Muay Thai,' said Alves, that adds: 'He has already set up a schedule with me. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we gonna train here at BTT and Tuesdays and Thursdays we gonna practice in his place, where he has built a ring. I will drive his Muay Thai so sharpened that he will be able to KO anyone at Pride,' promised the Boxe Thai leader Luis Alves.

-------------

The Japanese media report that Igor Vovchanchyn may be possibly out of the PRIDE Heavyweight GP, which is scheduled for April 25th.

According to reports, Igor still has an injury that he sustained from his last fight. With Igor possibly out, and Sylvester Terkay definitely out, PRIDE may now has six spots to fill for their 16-man GP.

------------

DSE/PRIDE announced that Vanderlei Silva vs. Yuki Kondo will take place as the main event for their PRIDE Bushido 3 show on May 23rd.

--------------

Almost a year away from rings, BTT Ricardo Arona expects an invitation from Pride organization to join the upcoming Heavyweight Grand Prix on next April 25th in Japan. "I am waiting for a chance to be among the fours names they haven't decide yet," stated the BJJ black belt, that left the Pride GP middleweight due to a injury in his feet.

Besides that, his will to compete is so strong that if the BTT is not at the GP, he promises to keep up the training: "I am returning to train with a gi. If I don't have a scheduled match, I might be joining the upcoming BJJ World Championships", guaranteed Arona.

NOGUIERAS ENTRANCE THEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/wortley/...__Nogueira_.mp3

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't understand how long I have been looking for that. It's gone now, so if you can find it or any others it would be fucking awesome. I really want Fujita's theme too. It's kickass, "do or die" feel.

Guest RickyChosyu
Apparently, Kevin Randleman has said:

Coleman vs. Fedor

Good booking, if it's true. You had to think that a "passing the torch" fight between them was going to happen, sooner or later, what with Fedor giving Coleman credit for developing his style. I'm not sure it'll make for a good fight, though, since their styles are so similar.

Randleman vs. Cro Cop

Is Randleman even announced for the GP yet? Is he even a heavyweight?

I have to think Randleman is toast if this is true, though.

According to reports, Igor still has an injury that he sustained from his last fight. With Igor possibly out, and Sylvester Terkay definitely out, PRIDE may now has six spots to fill for their 16-man GP.

Was there even a point to having Igor in there to begin with, other than being in the finals four years ago? Terkay could have been interesting, but I can't say I'm mourning that loss either. I'm guessing they'll fill in these spots with more natives, since they're lacking in those. Fujita, maybe?

DSE/PRIDE announced that Vanderlei Silva vs. Yuki Kondo will take place as the main event for their PRIDE Bushido 3 show on May 23rd.

I haven't seen any Shooto, or even Kondo's UFC fights, so I don't know what to expect from him. I know he made short work of Sperry, though. Is there anyone knowledgable about Shooto who can tell us what his chances are of beating Silva?

And any word on if/when the actual brackets get released for the GP? That could be interesting to see.

Even someone knowledgable in Shooto might not be of help, as he's fought mostly in Pancrase. :)

Anyways, he's a very dangerous striker, who has a lot of precision to his strikes. However, he was always succeptable to being held down by larger fighters, but has seem to have worked hard on his takedown defense and ability to regain his feet.

I imagine he'll probably give SIlva some scares, but I think Silva's size and strength advantage will pull him through in this one, although I hope I'm wrong.

Guest RickyChosyu
Even someone knowledgable in Shooto might not be of help, as he's fought mostly in Pancrase. :)

There I go blowing spots again. Sorry, I meant Pancrase.

Anyways, he's a very dangerous striker, who has a lot of precision to his strikes. However, he was always succeptable to being held down by larger fighters, but has seem to have worked hard on his takedown defense and ability to regain his feet.

How does his stand-up compare to Silva's? It's good that he has the take-down defense, but I doubt that'll do him much good as Silva's stand-up seems to be his bread and butter.

I imagine he'll probably give SIlva some scares, but I think Silva's size and strength advantage will pull him through in this one, although I hope I'm wrong.

Does he have a chance at taking Silva to the mat like Yoshida did? Judging from Silva's two fights at Final Conflict, that seems to be the smartest way of taking him out.

Kondo can handle himself on the ground, but his ground game usually only comes into play when either:

A) He's forced there.

B) His opponent has been placed there via his strikes.

So obviously, he's not likely to take the fight there.

As for his striking compared to Silva's, he's a bit more punch oriented as opposed to Silva's Muay Thai style, although he can throw a good kick and has some sick flying knees. In the end, though, I think Silva has slightly more KO power due to his size advantage.

In the end, I think his chances at KO'ing are as good as almost anyone's at the 185-205lbs. range, and I'll definitely root for him, but I think Silva will take it.

Kondo can handle himself on the ground, but his ground game usually only comes into play when either:

A) He's forced there.

So obviously, he's not likely to take the fight there.

As for his striking compared to Silva's, he's a bit more punch oriented as opposed to Silva's Muay Thai style, although he can throw a good kick and has some sick flying knees. In the end, though, I think Silva has slightly more KO power due to his size advantage.

In the end, I think his chances at KO'ing are as good as almost anyone's at the 185-205lbs. range, and I'll definitely root for him, but I think Silva will take it.

Wand has recently obtained his black belt in BJJ, and there was one time where he almost put Sak in a Triangle, so don't knock his ground game. Not saying you are, but others might.

Yuki doesn't have a chance in this one. I mean, Wand's standup is better, his groundgame is better, and Wand's intelligence is underrated. How can Yuki beat him?

Download Wand's Highlight vid at Sherdog, pretty good FIFTEEN minute mini-bio really.

I don't know why you'd want Kondo to win. I bet you would've wanted Taka to beat HHH that time too :D

Cro Cop will kill Randleman, and I don't think Fedor is a similar fighter to Coleman. Fedor's standup skills are disgusting, while Coleman couldn't handle Nog's, thus taking him down and getting submitted. Of course, this brings up the question; how is Fedor on his back? We've never seen, and we're likely to see his skills get tested. He's the most intelligent fighter out there though, so don't be surprised to see him whip up a fantastic gameplan. His takedown defense will come into play in this one, and if Coleman can't get him on his back or keep him there, we will know that Fedor is invincible and will fucking retire with that title.

Guest RickyChosyu

A) He's forced there.

Sort of like Silva's mat game, then, only not as good.

I thought Punches were outlawed in Pancrase.

Either way, two skilled strikers should make for an entertaining fight.

Wand has recently obtained his black belt in BJJ, and there was one time where he almost put Sak in a Triangle, so don't knock his ground game. Not saying you are, but others might.

I wouldn't knock his ground game, but I'd say he's not as strong there as he is standing. If I were to predict the fighter that beats him, it would have to be a skilled grappler.

Yuki doesn't have a chance in this one. I mean, Wand's standup is better, his groundgame is better, and Wand's intelligence is underrated. How can Yuki beat him?

Most didn't give Yoshida a chance in Hell, but he came closer than Jackson did. I'm not saying Yuki chances are good, but surprises do happen.

I don't think Fedor is a similar fighter to Coleman. Fedor's standup skills are disgusting, while Coleman couldn't handle Nog's, thus taking him down and getting submitted.

Fedor's stand-up is definitely better than Coleman's, but I think both their reliance on Ground and Pound is fairly obvious, hence my comment about them being similar fighters.

Of course, this brings up the question; how is Fedor on his back? We've never seen, and we're likely to see his skills get tested. He's the most intelligent fighter out there though, so don't be surprised to see him whip up a fantastic gameplan. His takedown defense will come into play in this one, and if Coleman can't get him on his back or keep him there, we will know that Fedor is invincible and will fucking retire with that title.

I'm not so sure about Fedor being unbeatable. His stand-up is great, but judging from the damage Fujita was able to inflict on him, I have my doubts as to whether he could stand with Cro Cop or another high-level striker.

A) He's forced there.

Sort of like Silva's mat game, then, only not as good.

I thought Punches were outlawed in Pancrase.

Either way, two skilled strikers should make for an entertaining fight.

I wouldn't knock his ground game, but I'd say he's not as strong there as he is standing. If I were to predict the fighter that beats him, it would have to be a skilled grappler.

Most didn't give Yoshida a chance in Hell, but he came closer than Jackson did. I'm not saying Yuki chances are good, but surprises do happen.

I don't think Fedor is a similar fighter to Coleman. Fedor's standup skills are disgusting, while Coleman couldn't handle Nog's, thus taking him down and getting submitted.

Fedor's stand-up is definitely better than Coleman's, but I think both their reliance on Ground and Pound is fairly obvious, hence my comment about them being similar fighters.

Of course, this brings up the question; how is Fedor on his back? We've never seen, and we're likely to see his skills get tested. He's the most intelligent fighter out there though, so don't be surprised to see him whip up a fantastic gameplan. His takedown defense will come into play in this one, and if Coleman can't get him on his back or keep him there, we will know that Fedor is invincible and will fucking retire with that title.

I'm not so sure about Fedor being unbeatable. His stand-up is great, but judging from the damage Fujita was able to inflict on him, I have my doubts as to whether he could stand with Cro Cop or another high-level striker.

I don't think a skilled grappler can beat Silva on the ground. He's spent like what, five, six years obtaining his belt? It's not bullshit like Vitor's either, who was a purple under a Gracie and then left, all of a sudden getting a black belt. Yoshida didn't do anything in the match that really stood out, he didn't come close to a submission. He just put him on the ground and held him there. Wand was actually more active on the ground than he, if I remember correctly.

The reason Yoshida hung in there is because his ground game is better than Wand's, and like I said he just held him down, didn't really do anything of note. Surprises may happen, but when one fighter is clearly better at everything than the other, does anyone give them a chance?

Coleman is so much worse standing, and probably doesn't know any submissions. Fedor is a great wrestler, is great at both submissions and escaping them, and has destroyed a guy standing that hung in with people in K1. He uses GnP, but he doesn't rely on it. Coleman is a LnP fighter anyways, I'd hardly call it GnP.

He took Fujita lightly, I wouldn't really count that against him. What my point is, that if a wrestler can't beat him by putting him on his back, or if he can't put him on his back as a worldclass wrestler like Coleman should, I don't see how you can beat Fedor, I don't see a chink in his armour so to speak.

Guest RickyChosyu
I don't think a skilled grappler can beat Silva on the ground. He's spent like what, five, six years obtaining his belt? It's not bullshit like Vitor's either, who was a purple under a Gracie and then left, all of a sudden getting a black belt.

Silva is certainly skilled on the mat, I'm not doubting that.

Yoshida didn't do anything in the match that really stood out, he didn't come close to a submission. He just put him on the ground and held him there. Wand was actually more active on the ground than he, if I remember correctly.

Silva was active on defense, but Yoshida made a few submision attempts, some of which he almost got locked in. I might have to re-watch the fight, but I remember a few times when it seemed like Silva was clearly in trouble, which is all the more impressive considering Silva is a black belt in Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

The reason Yoshida hung in there is because his ground game is better than Wand's, and like I said he just held him down, didn't really do anything of note.

He was at least attempting submision attempts and had Silva scrambling to play defense for most of the first round. As history has shown, as long is someone is clearly trying to end the fight, the PRIDE judges will decide in their favor. So, if Yoshida had dominated in the second round the way he did in the first, it's likely that he would have gotten to the judges decision.

Of course, Silva made sure that didn't happen by kicking Yoshida's ass in the second round. :)

Surprises may happen, but when one fighter is clearly better at everything than the other, does anyone give them a chance?

No, of course not, but no matter how small, there is always a chance. We've seen enough surprise upsets to know that they can happen in almost any fight.

Freak accidents like the recent Kerr/Yamamoto fight should make that clear.

Coleman is so much worse standing, and probably doesn't know any submissions.

What about the Coleman Crank? He beat Frye last year with a Rear Naked Choke, too. He's far from an expert, but he can submit someone if the opportunity presents itself.

Fedor is a great wrestler, is great at both submissions and escaping them, and has destroyed a guy standing that hung in with people in K1.

What submisions has he used beyond the basic ones that Coleman has also used?

He uses GnP, but he doesn't rely on it.

He used the Ground and Pound technique to beat Noguiera, who's probably the toughest opponent he's ever faced. He doesn't rely on it to the extent that Coleman did and still does, but it's certainly his strongest skill.

Coleman is a LnP fighter anyways, I'd hardly call it GnP.

What does LnP stand for? Coleman is known as the fighter most responsible for popularizing Ground and Pound, so I don't see what else his style could be called.

He took Fujita lightly, I wouldn't really count that against him. What my point is, that if a wrestler can't beat him by putting him on his back, or if he can't put him on his back as a worldclass wrestler like Coleman should, I don't see how you can beat Fedor, I don't see a chink in his armour so to speak.

Fujita had more success trading punches with Fedor than he did trying to put him on his back, and Fujita has more wrestling training than stand-up training.

He had little trouble with Goodridge standing, but to compare Garry to Cro Cop is pretty far fetched. Goodridge "hung in there" with the K1 guys, but that doesn't make his record there any less of a failure. His only beat over-the-hill Mike Bernardo, who avenged the loss anyway.

Cro Cop's stand-up is impressive enough that he has a chance of KOing Fedor that way. Fedor, being the smart fighter that he is, will everything he can to avoid that, but it's still a possibility.