TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I just realized why I don't buy the Bushido shows.

It's not because it's the "b" show and not properly hyped; it's not because there are smaller fighters on the card; it's because they are NOT FIGHTING FOR ANYTHING.

There is no end-goal, no belt, no "top guy" to beat. My interest is not really invested in anything.

Guest RickyChosyu
I just realized why I don't buy the Bushido shows.

It's not because it's the "b" show and not properly hyped; it's not because there are smaller fighters on the card; it's because they are NOT FIGHTING FOR ANYTHING.

There is no end-goal, no belt, no "top guy" to beat.  My interest is not really invested in anything.

There is the Middleweight belt for them to chase, and last night was supposed to feature a defense of that belt before Silva fucked up his knee again and they had to fall back on another Gracies vs. Japan series instead.

It was also clear that Cro Cop's fight was his attempt at a come back after the devastating Randleman loss, which is plenty a reason to rally behind him. Nakamura's fight could be seen in a similar light, since his last fight was so dissapointing.

There were also several fighters debuting in PRIDE, which added the importance of "proving that they belong here" to their fights.

But Kondo wasn't on _any_ of the Bushidos before that, nor were any of the people Silva has faced in the past, I believe. Besides, Bushido is more for 180-190 lbs, nor 205 like Silva is. Any successful fighter there (Nakamura, Takase, Gomi) wouldn't have a fair fight against Wandy. I "get" the advantages of watching the show - to see young fighters and Cro Cop fight - but I'd rather spend that money on something more "relevant"..

Like UFC 48 and PRIDE GP Rnd 2, which happen on the same week (Saturday and Sunday, I believe).

Like UFC 48 and PRIDE GP Rnd 2, which happen on the same week (Saturday and Sunday, I believe).

Definitely looking forward to that, my friend.

In related news, Big Daddy's fighting Peter Aerts on June 6th in Nagoya, K-1 rules.

By the by, how is King Of the Cage doing these days? I have a 2 DVD set with their first 4 fours on it and it looked promising. I noticed in particular a rising fighter named Duane "The Bang" Ludwig who is a kickboxer trained by Bas Rutten in wrestling. Anyone know what's going on with the promotion and this fellow? Unfortunately the shows are like 4 years old(You can get them altogether for $6 at Best Buy in the bargain section, the first show isn't great and there's no commentary, but but all the other shows have commentary and the production values markedly increase with each show)

Ludwig is a regular in K-1 MAX (K-1's lightweight organization). His claim to fame in MMA is beating Jens Pulver, but he really hasn't done much besides a semi-victory over Sudo and getting beat pretty handily at K-1's MMA show this past weekend.

One of the worst matches on both sides.

Historically interesting, but not exactly what they should be wasting their free TV time on.

More or less.

The fight in a nutshell: Tito & Silva circle for a while, Silva throwing a lazy low kick every now and then. Finally out of boredom, Tito shoots in, get the takedown, and massages Silva's visage for a bit as Wanderlei wiggles around. Tito finally tries some G&P, throwing punches and elbows during the last second as Silva avoids most with head movement.

The only real notable moments in the fight are in 2nd, when, as Silva backs Tito up and tries to throw some strikes, Tito catches him with a right hand, and Silva goes down, but hangs onto Tito's legs and tucks his heads between Tito's legs to avoid any further damage.

And in the 3rd, Silva again backs Tito up, and catches Tito with a winging right hand that nails Tito as he tries to circle out. Tito loses his balance, gets back up and sprints across the cage as Wanderlei gives chase with strikes. Once at the other side, Tito squares up, ducks under some strikes and gets another takedown, and that's pretty much the end of any action.

Who would you say won the fight, or would you simply consider it a draw?

If I had to give it to anybody, it'd be Tito. His G&P was light and did little damage, but Silva couldn't do anything from the bottom, and aside from the 3rd, he didn't do a whole lot standing that wasn't neutralized quickly by a takedown.

--UFC and Spike TV have officially announced the long talked about UFC reality TV show. The show, called "Ultimate Fighter," has been signed by Spike for 13 episodes starting in January. It will take 16-20 fighters with four winners getting UFC contracts, similar to Tough Enough. Both Hollywood Reporter and the New York Post have stories today on the announcement.

I should mention that this Ultimate Fighters thing is a terrible idea for so many reasons, I don't feel like getting into it because I'm sure many agree with me. The only positive is the whole mainstream acceptance, and this is the wrong way of going about it.

RE: SHOOTO's 3/28 show,

I haven't seen many of the matches (though Sugie usually makes for some entertaining fights). This card focuses on some of the younger, B class fighters, so those are kind've a mixed bag, but for the most part very few Shooto shows are total throw-aways.

However, if you want a total kick ass show, the July 9th Hawaii show is looking SICK:

Alexandre F. Nogueira vs. TBA

Rumina Sato vs. Bao Quach

Vitor 'Shaolin' Ribeiro vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida

Stephen Paling vs. Jens Pulver

Masanori Suda vs. Dustin Denes

Jake Shields vs. Ray Cooper

I'm a lil bit iffy on the show idea. I think it'd be a really good method of informing newer fans on what it takes to be an Ultimate Fighter, PLUS it can establish some personalities which is VERY important in getting over anything - the viewer needs to form a relationship, invest their interest, so that when it comes time to pay-up for PPV it's a "I must buy this show" situation.

However, it's on SPIKE TV so the amount of needed viewers to make the above a success is questionable. PLUS, if SPIKE doesn't get behind it 110% we could have another ECW on our hands. It would be a GREAT idea if they cross-promoted with the WWE, which has an audience of potential MMA fans - given the right marketing. A big problem is the "13 episodes" deal, I know that can possibly go from January to March and will - at best - get to advertise 2 PPVs on a consistant basis - but it's only for a fixed period of time. What happens after that? They're off of TV and back where they started from.

pict13.jpg

Is that Goldust in the face paint?

Why is the ref wearing a neckbrace? Why was the Pride Undertaker wearing face paint?

That stable needs to be on Raw. Its like they are the MMA clones of WWE stars: UndertakerDust, Big Show of Brazil, Shelton's brotha, Goldberg with hair, White Mark Henry.

Fedor's only loss.

http://www.fedor77.republika.pl/fedorvskohsaka.wmv

Bushido 4 card:

- Japan vs BTT 3on3

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Akira Shoji vs Paulo Filho

Takanori Gomi vs Fabio Mello

Shungo Oyama vs Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic

Ikuhisa Minowa vs Kenichi Yamamoto

Amar Suloev vs Dean Lister

Dokonjounosuke Mishima vs Marcus Aurelio

- Bushido Challenge match

Hiroyuki Abe vs Luiz Henrique

Kyosuke Sasaki vs Eiji Mitsuoka

Filho's mostly a takedown & control style fighter with some good G&P and submissions when needed. He's undefeated, having beat Kei Yamamiya rather handily, winning a exciting bout vs. Ikuhisa Minowa and then L&P'ing a deicision win over Yuki Kondo. Most recently beat Diajiro Matsui via Unanimous Decision in Korea.

Bumping because I have some questions. I just got a used tape of UFC 20 at Blockbuster. They mentioned tha Randy Coultre was stripped of the Heavyweight title. Why didn't he defend it? Second, was the decision on the Rutten/Randleman fight considered very controvesrsial when it went down? I could easily see it going the other way(I'm trying to avoid spoiling the fight). Third, when did UFC stop having a 15 minute fight with overtimes? Fourth, when did they start requiring fighters to wear gloves? Finaly, why do some fighters have gloves with the Red Cross on it? I can't imagine squeezing gauze or anything into the glove. Thanks in advance.

- Randy was stripped, IIRC, because of a breakdown in contract negotions with SEG, possibly over likeness issues.

- The Rutten Randleman was indeed highly debated, though it's been been a lot less discussed over the years.

- UFC 20 was actually the last UFC even with the old time limits, as UFC 21 would adopt about the now widely used 5 minute round system.

- Not sure about the gloves. Sorry.

- Randy was stripped, IIRC, because of a breakdown in contract negotions with SEG, possibly over likeness issues.

I always thought it was because he went to the Rings organization. Or maybe he went because of the reasons you mentioned. Whatever.