2 Mark Hughes vs. Alex Stiebling

3 Jens Pulver vs. John Lewis

4 Andrei Arlovski vs. Aaron Brink

5 Josh Barnett vs. Gan McGee

6 Renato Sobral vs. Maurice Smith

7 Randy Couture vs. Kevin Randleman

Edited by RavishingRickRudo

Guest RickyChosyu

Yeah, I caught it. PRIDE needs a new gimick for these shows, because the current drawing card ("Cro Cop squash followed by Japan vs. Whoever series") is dead and attracting flies. Trying to rebuild Cro Cop's monster aura by feeding him cans is a waste of time, and aside from Takenori Gomi, the Team Japan series haven't helped make any native stars. An all native tourniment (which Zach.com is reporting as the plan for future Bushido shows) will be a breath of fresh air if it happens.

This show had a lot of split decisions (at least four that I can remember). Sometimes this was the good type of split decision (Mishima's fight), but too often it was the borring, terrible type. For example, Lister's fight with the Russian guy was a total snooze fest with neither guy deserving the win. Shoji's fight was pretty dull as well, and you got the feeling that he was only there to lose so that Gomi could tie it up and Nakamura/Rogerio would be the tie breaker.

Minowa looked good, but after being fed to Silva and Jackson, and then being fucked over by the judges against Ryan, it's too little too late.

Cro Cop should just go back to K1. I know this was supposed to be the "return to form" for him after failing to KO Kanehara, but was this really neccesary? It was an impressive knock out, but how many of those do we need from Cro Cop to know what he's about? Oyama was also treated as a total jobber, as the commentators couldn't even bother to mention his qualifications or background. See what I mean about these shows killing off native stars?

Gomi's striking looked good, and that surfing pose of his is boss. Nakamura losing to the Other Nogueira again does nothing for either of them.

Overall, not a total waste as Mishima and Gomi impressed and had entertaining fights, but this was much worse than Bushido III and the entire format needs a change up as of yesterday.

Yeah, I caught it. PRIDE needs a new gimick for these shows, because the current drawing card ("Cro Cop squash followed by Japan vs. Whoever series") is dead and attracting flies.

Hopefully the rumors of a Bushido (LW/sub-170 lbs.) GP are true.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT~!

(via WO.com)

Pride just announced six of the seven scheduled matches for the 8/15 show at the Saitama Super Arena:

*Wanderlei Silva vs. Yuki Kondo

*Mirko Cro Cop vs. Alexander Emelianenko

*Ron Waterman vs. Kevin Randleman

Grand Prix semifinals

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Naoya Ogawa

Sergei Kharitonov vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Winners meet in the main event. Bracketing was a surprise.

*Blows load*

Well, after seeing the heavyweight GP bracketing of the finals, I can safely say that Fedor basically recieved a bye. He is going to eat Ogawa alive. Noguiera/Kharitonov should be fun, as should Emilianenko/Cro Cop.

A definite must see show for me.

It's the right move. Fedor is the champ, so if he went out in the second round that would hurt the belt and cause some problems. Ogawa is the least risky, plus he's a big name and going up against the top star (much like Silva/Yoshida) - he doesn't need to be in the finals to be an impact(ful draw). Kharitonov/Nogueira, Silva/Kondo, Cro Cop/Alex is aaaalll the matches I need. Shame it's on a week long delay (I heard, haven't checked for myself).

From the sherdog.com forums, so take it for what it's worth:

Rumors for the seventh and final match:

Coleman vs. Mark Hunt

Henderson vs. Bustamante II

Sakuraba vs. somebody

FUCKLE YOU!

It's the match everyone wants to see! Ok, maybe just me and perhaps Ken Shamrock and maybe Titos mom. But this blood feud is FAR from over. Sure, their last match was 31 UFC's ago, but that just means revenge is best served COLD.

And there is no better shirt than "Gay Mezger is my Bitch".

Guest RickyChosyu

That fued pretty much ended when Tito smacked Mezger in the rematch, didn't it? Even Tito vs. the Lion's Den was pretty much blown off with Tito vs. Ken.

Tito has nothing to prove against Mezger. Their first meeting was all Tito up until the doctor stopped it to check on Guy, who was getting the piss kicked out of him. Of course, the doctor allowed Mezger to continue, and he caught Tito in a flash Guillotine Choke, but the rematch proved that it was just a lucky break.

If Tito is serious about becoming a contender for the LHW title again, the last person he should be fighting is Mezger. Well, other than Ken Shamrock, that is. :)

Mezger's a pretty good fighter and he's had a lot of unfortunate losses in his Pride career:

Pride 6 (Shoji) lost a very close match

GP 1st Round (Saku) deserved a decision, but he was up against Saku/Royce so he got screwed

Pride 10 (Silva) Was winning til the last KO flurry

Pride 14 (Liddell) Was also winning until the KO

Pride 16 (Arona) Lost another very close decision

Pride 24 (Lil Nog) Lost another very close decision

Tito needs a convincing win to begin his rebound and Mezger is a pretty safe-bet. I think their line of thinking is "Well, if Mezger/Ortiz started the Shamrock/Ortiz rivalry, and that made us some money, then this should do the same". A good gimmick would actually be "Ken Shamrock looks for guys to beat Tito." So you have Ken backing Mezger, then maybe Vern (if he loses to Liddell.. or beats, doesn't matter), and then maybe a hot prospect. When all those fights fail, Ken gets back in the ring. Granted, I don't think they could draw the same for Shamrock/Ortiz as they did at UFC 40, but if they're going to try again, this would be the best way IMO.

I was actually talking to a buddy about this match the other day and he brought up the same response as BR4L - Mezger is a good fighter who just keeps losing to top competition... and he also has two of the greatest knockouts in MMA history. It just happens that he's the one getting KO'd (Silva and Liddell). And dammit, look at those sideburns!

I am going to try to resist temptation to read spoilers, but it's almost impossible with all the websites and message boards I frequent.

If it was going up against Summerslam, I would buy the Pride show without a thought.

News stolen from a TNA thread that pissed me the hell off:

"The decision at this point is do to monthly three-hour shows on Sunday evenings, similar to WWE and Pride, starting in November. The final show at the Asylum in Nashville, at this point, is 9/8. Starting on 9/14, the Orlando tapings will be moved from Thursdays to Tuesdays, to give them more time to edit the post-produce the show for Friday. There will be taped best-of PPV shows airing on 9/15, 9/22 and 9/29, but as of the end of September, TNA won’t have Wednesday night PPVs, and won’t be doing any PPV shows in October. The idea is to have a 7-to-10 week build for the first Sunday show.

Since WWE is the powerhouse and has its dates locked up months in advance, it will become a game between Pride and TNA to get dates locked up first. On months that WWE does two PPV shows, those two companies would have to fight over the remaining two dates. While Pride is far bigger, and does slightly better on PPV in the U.S., TNA is more organized long-term. The idea at this point is to charge $29.95 per show, which I think may be a little on the high side, at least to start out. The plan is to upgrade the shows, running them in mid-sized arenas (5,000-to-7,000 seats) throughout the country. Most likely, that will change when they find they can't sell tickets. The original TNA PPV show plan was similar, but after only being able to sell about 100 tickets for the debut show in Huntsville, AL, they moved to Nashville as a permanent home, at the 9,000-seat Municipal Auditorium. When they couldn’t sell tickets there, they moved to the 1,300-seat Fairgrounds, where they usually come close to filling the building with free tickets, as paid is usually hovering around 300 to 400."

Ok, Summerslam bumping Pride back a week, I can accept. Arguing that Pride should bump a WWE PPV event is just retarded. But if Pride starts getting bumped more for a Jeff Jarrett public jerk off session, I will be pissed the fuck off.

Once again I'm reviving this thread becuase I just got UFC 47 on DVD and I want to know all about this Lidell/Ortiz thing. I know Ortiz was probably the biggest star in UFC for a while, but frankly, he was a stubborn idiot in this fight. Everyone was saying take the man down and he stood with the Iceman. Then he gets caught in the corner and PUTS HIS HANDS UP. God. I'd think a man who was the Light Heavyweight champ would knwo to counter punch or shoot or something, but instead he folds up and does the standing equivalent of turning onto your belly and just covering up. ANything anyone could tell me about this would be greatly appreciated because this was my first purchase of a recent MMA show(all of my DVDs are from 2000-2002 and my one UFC tape was from 1998, UFC20). By the way, is it just me or is MMA getting more corpoate? "I'd like to thank my sponsers" annoys me to no end. Thanks in advance. Oh, and what UFCs were Ken Shamrock in since his comback(ie his stuff this year, I know at 48 he fought Kimo, but he mentions fighting someone before that and I don't know if he's fought since)

If you watch closely, moments before the KO Tito blocks a Liddell high kick, the force of which causes Tito's own thumb to go into his eye. You can see him try to reassert himself, but it was already too late as Chuck went in for the kill.

Tito's eye looked like hell a few days later, though even without the eye gouge, he was on his way to losing that fight.

By the way, who si the dirtiest MMA fighter do you think? I remember hearing Mark Coleman telling Randleman to smear the blood from Rutten's broken nose into his eye at UFC 20. I'm sorry, I lost a lot of respect for him when I heard that, you sohouldn't be telling a fighter to try to blind someone with his own blood. That's just low.

Most experienced fighters are dirty. It's becoming more and more common because competition is getting tougher and tougher. Frank Mir gouged the hell out of Wes Sims' eyes in their first match (watch it, it's insane how many times he tries to blind Sims), Couture played dirty against Vitor and vice-versa. Fighters have to get advantage somehow, and whatever "tricks" they have that can help, they'll use.

Dirtiest fighters around:

-"Dirty" Bob Shrijber

- Gilbert Yvel (has calmed down a bit recently)

- Rene Rooze

- Alan Goes

- Mikhail Illoukhine

Some others I'll probably think of later.