TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I didn't think Stephan Bonnar would ever get another chance but apparently he's going to fight Mike Nickels at UFN 10.

Dana isn't booting Bonnar out because if Bonnar hadn't taken the meds he would've had to pull out of the Forrest fight @ 62 and it might've hurt the buyrate for the show as that was as much as, if not a bigger selling point then Chuck vs Babalu. Having said that, if he loses to Mike f'n Nickels he's toast.

Yeah. I'm an idiot. I read that as Lidell.

I think it's because UTSU was all over the Entourage thread and I assumed his curiousity spread here.

That is legit the worst thing I've ever read on a mainstream sports site.

Not even because I disagree with him. It looks like something my little cousin would hand in if he was asked to write a report about this least favorite person at school.

That doesn't even qualify as journalism.

It sounds like someone on an internet message board when someone insults is favorite <insert topic here> and their only defense is to lash out.

It's pretty weak.

That article is incredible. There are a few posters on the site that have picked it apart, but what the hey, I'd still love to see the panel here tear the guy a new asshole. He even mentions kicks to the groin for gods sake. As a journalism student and a member of the media myself, I can honestly say that he was either writing that to get a massive negative reaction such as this, or he is genuinelly that stupid and he didn't bother to research. If it's the former, well done, you've enticed MMA fans to bash you, and therefore got more traffic to your column. If it's the latter, well, run along and play and let the adults have intelligent discussion.

--Mike Freeman, the CBS Sportsline writer who did that ridiculous column on UFC as compared to boxing yesterday, was the subject of news himself in 2004 when he was fired by the Indianapolis Star for falsifying his resume. Freeman, after being told to resign three days before he was going to start as a sports columnist, apologized, said he knowingly stated in an interview that he graduated from the University of Delaware. In fact, he attended the school, but didn't get a degree. Freeman had worked from 1994-2004 with the New York Times covering the NBA and NFL before moving to Indianapolis.

I felt like the Geico Caveman after reading that - "Uh, WHAT?"

There's a response to the article from Ben Foulkes of the IFL, as well as a counterpoint from Mike Doyel, both of which are much better thought out than Freeman's idiotic comments. Frankly, Foulkes does a great job picking apart most of Freeman's arguments, so I don't even feel that there's a need to rip Freeman a new one - it's already been done.

"They are giving Matt Hughes a title shot and he’s so happy. “Oh yay” he was so happy Georges got knocked out; it’s because he knows he can’t touch Georges. It’s freakin’ pathetic, bro."- Karo Parysian with your Awesome Quote of The Moment.

TRIGG’S TAKE: MY FINAL PRIDE (thefightnetwork.com)

By Frank Trigg

After a great win at PRIDE 33, I made broadcast history by commentating directly after my fight, and then fought again about 35 days later in ICON. I got KOed by Robbie Lawler and had to travel right from Hawaii to Japan for PRIDE 34 – and what could be my final commentating experience with an organization I had cultivated a strong relationship with.

First, understand that Lawler had hit me a lot so both my eyes are blue, black and yellow as I fly over. My body is stiff from the fight, but I have other thoughts on my mind. This will be the last PRIDE promoted by Dream Stage entertainment (DSE) and I don’t know what to quite expect.

Let’s add into the mix that Sean Wheelock is the forth partner I had to work with in the last four shows and we are going live from Japan on PPV. I will try to give you a little insight.

Sean and I get along great right form the start. He is a great play-by-play host. He does a lot of soccer, including the World Cup. We find our pace and then we hang out enough to learn each other’s style so we can do a great show. We sit down and go over our six-minute opening and get it right and tight.

There will be two fights that will not be on the PPV show, so while they play out, Sean and I are supposed to start our opening from upstairs and then run to ringside for the third, but opening fight of the broadcast.

This is the point where a great production team that speaks the same language is very important.

About two minutes before we go live, our producer Gerry Millen is arguing with the production truck. Understand the production truck only speaks Japanese and Gerry only speaks English (and poorly I might add). This takes a long time. Only a minute and thirty seconds in real time, but a very long time in live TV time.

“At 30 seconds to you,” an assistant calls out. This means the director is yelling to us that in 30 seconds we are live. The truck and Gerry are still trying to figure something out.

“15 seconds to you.”

“14, 13…”

They are still talking.

“Six seconds to you.”

Just then, Gerry yells, “You have to cover for 30 minutes.”

“4, 3, 2, 1, live.”

When the director does the countdown, they hold their fingers out as they count down, but don’t ever say the two or the one.

Let’s step back for a minute. Sean and I set up a six-minute intro. Now we need 30 minutes of intro. The show started late in Japan so we had to cover over the “Butterbean” [Eric Esch] fight that was still going on. We have earpieces in our ear so we could hear production - but the problem is that production never checked the levels. So when Gerry was yelling at us we could only hear a really loud Charlie Brown teacher. At one point, I have to pull out my earpiece. This by far way the toughest time I ever had. I truly had to test my knowledge of the fighters and MMA as I spoke because it was all off the top of my head.

Usually it is an easier time. We are on tape delay so we are more relaxed and if something is said that needs fixing we can fix it. However, I never make a mistake. Just ask me and I will tell you.

We get through the rest of the broadcast without much problem.

As the event came to a close, we couldn’t escape the sad feeling all of us felt once we realized this was the last time DSE would be running PRIDE. I will never forget the ring full of fighters both past and present, a crying Sakuraba, the solemn look on Kato, Reoko, and Yoshi’s face. You have never heard of these people or seen them for that matter. They are very important to the company and were with the company for a very long time. I, in all likelihood, will never see these people again.

When we were checking out of the hotel the next morning I said my “see you laters” to everyone. It really did not hit me until I was at the airport that I would not see most of those people again. It truly made me cry. All of us knew that this was the end of an era and it will never be repeated. I can’t really do it justice with written words. All I can say is watch and see for yourself. Nobody will understand until you do.

A new era has begun in the great world of MMA. Hold on ladies and gentleman. It will move fast and it will amaze you.

POSTED -- 05/01/07

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but cbssportsline has a Liddell/Jackson countdown in their boxing section.........MMA starting to get recognition by the mainstream :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but cbssportsline has a Liddell/Jackson countdown in their boxing section.........MMA starting to get recognition by the mainstream :)

Sportsline has had a working relationship with MMAWeekly for a while. They're decent for a "mainstream" sports site.

More "goodness" from Mike "Douche" Freeman:

The careers of Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather have been impressive, bordering on other-worldly. These two have been ambassadors for boxing while demonstrating a pugnacious longevity in a sport that punishes elongated careers with damaged brain cells and overwhelmed nervous systems.

That is true, but so is this: When you watch them on Saturday, becoming one of possibly several million to do so, you will not be viewing two of the top 10 best fighters ever. No, not even De La Hoya.

The fact two of the best in boxing history do not make at least my top 10 list shows the historical depth of talent in a sport that has a long list of greatly skilled fighters going back decades.

Boxers have always amazed with their toughness and athleticism. Many of them probably could have been dominant in other sports (Muhammad Ali -- Hall of Fame tight end). Of course it is that all-around skill that separates boxers from the thuggish UFC brawlers.

My list of top 10 greats is not perfect; it is impossible to do a list like this that everyone will agree on. I've seen writers almost get into fistfights arguing over such things (boxing lists seem to inspire more passion than some others).

Some of you will do your usual whining and moaning on the message boards regarding this list. So be it. Just no biting or groin kicks.

I had no idea that toughness was a skill.

Anyway, it's apparent that this idiot puts down MMA because that's his basic M.O. Check out this exerpt from his Bio:

Freeman is proud to announce that in his last job as a columnist for the Times-Union in Jacksonville, Fla., he twice angered thousands of Gators fans. OK, maybe it was 10,000. OK, maybe several hundred thousand.

Again, he tries to incite anger in order to get over. Kinda sad for a "national columnist".

I ignored this guy from the beginning. He's got no influence and warrants no press whatsoever. It doesn't surprise me that the idiots at Sherdog are all over this, but I am a little shocked that people on here are so interested. Who cares, fuck 'em.

UFC: MAYWEATHER JR. UFC BOUND?

by Phil Lowe

UFC president Dana White has said he plans to make Floyd Mayweather Jr. a multi-million dollar offer to fight his lightweight champion.

White’s comments came after Mayweather’s victory over Oscar De La Hoya, a bout in which he earned $10 million plus a cut of the pay-per-view revenues that could double that figure. White said he was prepared to match Mayweather with UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk following Mayweather’s numerous putdowns of mixed martial arts fighters.

White wouldn’t be pinned down on a specific number, but said, “I promise you, I will make it worth his while. I will make it very worth his while. We can make him a very, very competitive offer if he still feels he can beat one of our guys.”

The UFC President was at last night’s fight at the MGM Grand along with owner Lorenzo Fertitta and Sherk in a bid to make a case for a fight with Mayweather. Mayweather reportedly sent a peace offering to White via UFC vice president Marc Ratner before Saturday’s bout, also telling Ratner to tell White he was only kidding when he was ripping the UFC and its fighters.

Wrestlemag

Some more on that Freeman clown:

--For those of you who are fans of CBSsportsline columnist Mike Freeman and his mindless columns of the past week, one of his classmates at the University of Delaware told us that he knew him and he was a good guy in college, and was editor-in-chief of the University of Delaware school newspaper. Then he was dumped. It was found out that Freeman was editor of the school paper while not actually being enrolled in school. He dropped out without telling anyone while keeping his position. Freeman had gotten the college some publicity because he was the first African-American ever to be editor of the school paper and his firing may have hit some local mainstream media.

Dana won't offer Floyd anything remotely close to what he earned for the Oscar fight. If Chuck, on the biggest PPV of the year (vs Ortiz @ 66) can't even pull in anything past 5 mil Floyd will laugh at whatever Dana puts on the table for him.

There's also the fact that Dana will be pissing off his fighters by offering an untested, unproven MMA fighter that much money for what would likely be a very short fight.

This kills the rumor...

On an interesting side note Floyd Mayweather Jr. cleared up some questions about his rumored life after boxing. In the past weeks boxing's widely regarded pound for pound champion had made derogatory comments about mixed martial arts and its fighters, prompting UFC President Dana White to reportedly offer Floyd Mayweather Jr. a fight against current UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk to prove if Mayweather's suspicions of mixed martial arts fighters were true.

Mayweather Jr. swallowed his pride and sincerely stated to Fightnews that he has no plans of competing in any organization of mixed martial arts,

"I apologize to the UFC, sometimes we say things that we shouldn't have said and I'm man enough to admit that. I apologize to the Fertittas, Lorenzo and Dana White (UFC owners). I respect MMA fighters and what they do in the UFC. I have no plans of fighting in mixed martial arts."

http://www.fightnews.com/boxing/bc/perea100.htm

There's also the fact that Dana will be pissing off his fighters by offering an untested, unproven MMA fighter that much money for what would likely be a very short fight.

For the potential upside that a UFC fighter beating Mayweather could bring, business would have to come before upsetting the fighters. If White offered Mayweather enough money that he took the fight and Sherk, or whoever, beat Mayweather, then the fighters should realize that however they feel about White paying Mayweather $5m, $10m or whatever amount, the overall gain for everyone else would be worth so much more.

Mayweather Jr. swallowed his pride and sincerely stated to Fightnews that he has no plans of competing in any organization of mixed martial arts,

"I apologize to the UFC, sometimes we say things that we shouldn't have said and I'm man enough to admit that. I apologize to the Fertittas, Lorenzo and Dana White (UFC owners). I respect MMA fighters and what they do in the UFC. I have no plans of fighting in mixed martial arts."

Which means he's smart enough to know that in an MMA rules fight, he'd probably get his ass handed to him.

Which means he's smart enough to know that in an MMA rules fight, he'd probably get his ass handed to him.

I think he knew that all along, he only said what he said to cause controversey before his fights.