TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I love Parisyan and I want to see the card. Try selling this card to the masses, though. I'm just saying a low buyrate is probably inevitable here. People want to see these guys in much needed rematches, not against eachother.

I love Parisyan and I want to see the card. Try selling this card to the masses, though. I'm just saying a low buyrate is probably inevitable here. People want to see these guys in much needed rematches, not against eachother.

I never need to see Rashad fight Tito again.

Hardcore fans will love it, casual fans will hate it. Bisping and Evans are not popular among the casual fans to begin with. Although I'm interested in the match up, a main event caliber fight it is not. But then again, the UFC was put in a very tough spot with Sherks appeal.

Since people are incapable of posting results....

Choi Young def. Masanori Tonowoka – TKO (Referee Stoppage – Strikes) 1:30 R1

Magomed Sultanakhmadov def. Eun Soo - TKO (Referee Stoppage - Strikes) 3:33 R1

Poai Suganuma def. Bernard Ackah - TKO(Referee Stoppage - Rev. Crucifix) 3:05 R1

Daisuke Nakamura def. Kwon Ah-sol - Tapout (Armbar) 3:09 R3

Min Suk Heo def. Katsuyori Shibata TKO (Referee Stoppage - Strikes) 1:31 R2

Shungo Oyama def. Carlos Newton - Tapout (Strikes) 2:40 R3

Dae Won Kim def. Marcelo Garcia - TKO (Referee Stoppage - Cut) 0:20 R2

Tae Hyun Lee def. Yoshihisa Yamamoto – TKO (Referee Stoppage - Strikes) 1:03 R1

Min Soo Kim def. Ikuhisa Minowa - TKO (Referee Stoppage - Strikes) 3:46 R1

Zelg Galesic def. Taiei Kin - TKO (Referee Stoppage - Cut) 0:36 R1

Dong Sik Yoon def. Fabio Silva - Tapout (Armbar) 6:12 R1

Yoshihiro Akiyama def. Denis Kang - KO 4:45 R1

:( :( :(

I'm happy about Kang and Garcia, but disappointed about Carlos. Garcia was dominating for the first round though.

Akiyama looks pretty legit. He's got one loss to an established kickboxer that had about sixty pounds on him in his second pro fight. Other than that, pretty clean record.

Garcia reacted like he had never been punched before. Which hopefully will be cured in time. His positioning is sick, but he shouldn't try for only submissions as the real benefit in MMA of being an elite grappler is that you can get into positions that allow you to punch your opponent without your opponent being able to fire back. There were a bunch of situations where Garcia could have done serious damage (double attack, back, mount) and opted to go the submission grappling route rather the MMA route. His punches were more of a formality and distraction rather than a way to end the fight. Jacare is an example of someone who uses his grappling as a way to set up GnP and is more effective in doing it that way. Hopefully Garcia will learn from this, since it's his first fight it's essentially a freebie, because the GnP adjustment can be made fairly easily which would improve his game greatly.

Sean Sherk's appeal is in a couple days.

A part of me hopes that he doesn't get stripped and he fights BJ Penn for the title, so I can see BJ tear him apart. This match would be a lot more interesting then BJ Vs. Stevenson. Joe Daddy wouldn't stand a chance against BJ.

from sherdog.com

Din Thomas (Pictures) was arrested Tuesday in Port St. Lucie, Florida, for running in his local gym what a police spokesman called "illegal cage fighting" matches.

The TCPalm reported that Thomas faces a felony prohibited-competitions charge after police entered his training studio and watched two men fighting in an "octagon-shaped ring" before roughly 150 spectators.

"At the end of the day, he was having a professional mixed martial arts match that was not licensed through us," Sam Farkas, a spokesman for Florida's Department of Business and Professional Regulation, told the TCPalm. "It was a case of unlicensed activity."

Sherdog.com confirmed the arrest with a representative of Thomas' American Top Team camp. According to ATT, Thomas was in the process of posting a $10,000 bond to obtain his release from jail.

Thomas, a veteran lightweight currently competing in the UFC, lost his most recent bout on Sept. 19 to Kenny Florian (Pictures) in the main event of a UFC Fight Night card. He injured his knee in the match before succumbing to a rear-naked choke.

Prior to the Florian loss, Thomas was on a three-fight winning streak in the UFC.

UFC Officials Rebut Randy Couture’s Pay Claims

Posted by MMA Junkie on October 30, 2007 at 6:11 pm ET

UFC President Dana White, co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, and chief financial officer John Mulkey today addressed Randy Couture’s complaints from a press conference the UFC heavyweight champion held last week at his training center in Las Vegas.

White spearheaded the UFC’s rebuttal, specifically addressing Couture’s salary estimates, a complaint that he never received a signing bonus, and claims from Couture’s wife, Kim, that the UFC didn’t promote her husband during his UFC career.

The press conference took place at Zuffa LLC’s headquarters in Las Vegas and was streamed live online at UFC.com and MMAjunkie.comc content-partner site Yahoo! Sports.

Much of the media event was spent breaking down Couture’s per-fight pay.

White and Fertitta insisted that Couture restructured his existing contract when he came out of retirement back in January, and as part of the new deal, he earned a $500,000 signing bonus — half of which was paid at the signing and the other half after his first fight. Couture claims he never received a signing bonus and that the $500,000 the UFC is referencing was actually a predetermined “locker-room” bonus the two parties agreed upon.

Additionally, while both sides agree that Couture made a base pay of $250,000 per fight under his new deal, each gave very different numbers when it came to Couture’s cut of pay-per-view revenue. Mulkey said that the UFC had an estimated 534,000 “buys” for UFC 68 and 485,000 buys for UFC 74. Couture claimed he received about $500,000 per fight with his cut of the buys, though Murkey said Couture got $936,000 for UFC 68 and will get an estimated $787,000 for UFC 74.

All told, Couture said he made approximately $750,000 per fight. Today, though, Murkey and White said Couture earned $1.186 million for UFC 68 and $1.127 million for UFC 74.

White said the numbers were more than fair considering the status of Couture’s career before he came out of retirement.

“This is a guy who got knocked out in back-to-back fights to Chuck Liddell, which isn’t the greatest way to go out,” White said.

UFC officials distributed photocopies of Couture’s bout agreements and his canceled checks to prove their figures.

During today’s press conference, it was also revealed that Couture earned $200,000 per year as part of an employment contract (which included his duties as a legislative ambassador) and $50,000 annually as a part-time commentator during UFC broadcasts.

White also addressed claims from Kim Couture, Randy’s wife, who posted a story on the Xtreme Couture MMA blog over the weekend in which she claimed the UFC did a poor job of promoting her husband. (That blog entry has since been removed.)

White pointed to the first season of “The Ultimate Fighter” (in which Couture was featured as a coach), the second season (in which he was a paid consultant who designed and hosted the “challenges” on each episode) and the fourth season (in which he was brought back as a guest instructor). He also mentioned a special “Randy Couture Day” that aired on Spike TV on Aug. 23 — one that White claims he developed — as further proof the fighter was heavily promoted by the organization.

“The guy became a big star because we got behind him and promoted him,” White said.

Despite the current situation, White said that Couture will be offered the opportunity to return to the octagon in early 2007. After all, White said, you can’t resign from a contract.

“We’re going to offer Randy a fight with (Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira) probably in February,” White said. “As far as I’m concerned, Randy Couture is our heavyweight champion right now.“

The star of the press conference, though, was Steve Cofield, a radio host for FoxSportsRadio1460 in Las Vegas who runs the Mr. Sunshine blog. Cofield asked many tough questions, though he didn’t always get a straight answer. He broached the topics of Couture possibly fighting for M-1 Global, whether or not the UFC might end up suing Couture, and how much exactly the UFC was willing to pay former free agent Fedor Emelianenko. Other than saying Couture would have made more than Emelianenko and that he would never allow Couture to fight for M-1 while he’s under contract to the UFC, White tiptoed around the questions.

One question that was answered rather succinctly, though, was whether or not the UFC is a monopoly like Couture claims.

“Just because we’re better than everyone else and we do it better than anyone else doesn’t meant we’re a monopoly,” White said.

For more on this story and series of events, check out the MMAjunkie.com archives.

Seriously, after reading this, what can Couture say? I wish we could get a straight answer on what they offered Fedor, because that seems to be Randy's big problem. Seems like he was making plenty to me, and not being promoted? Please. Randy was VERY well promoted. I really wish they'd have an open debate and someone get this shit straight. Having read this, I'm sure hoping it's Randy/Nog in February.

I'm with the UFC too. They have canceled checks. I have to tend to believe that over Randy's word. Also, Randy's wife's claims that the UFC didn't promote Randy are silly.

The Din Thomas story is bullshit. It sounds like sparring matches used to help his guys gain experience while getting a little bit of money to help support the fighters. I hope this doesn't impact his or his gym's livelihood.

Apparently there is a witness(who is an officer) who saw them punching and kicking each other in the head, without protective gear.

I hope it's all bullshit, I think Din Thomas, wouldn't like to see this setback his career and his gym.

I didn't mean that it's fake, I meant that it's bullshit that this is an issue. It was just basic sparring, and they decided to make a bit of money off of it. Whoever ratted out this affair is a huge killjoy.

Problay nothing will come from it, Din will likely get off with a slap on the wrist. He needs to be more careful if he continues to do these things in the future.

Guest False Alarm!
Warning this is very graphic...

Kevin Randleman's Staph Infection

I don't know very much about staph infection... and I can't wrap around my head how that's possible.

Never truly realised the extent of damage a staph infection can have, Kevin Randleman doesn’t seem to have any luck.

So... apparently Sherk gets to keep the title no matter what.

B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson are going to fight for the "interim" championship and when Sherk gets back it's champion vs. champion.

I don't like that. At all.

And the co-main? Gonzaga vs Werdum. Not sure that Werdum has the name recognition to be second from the top.

BTW, congrats to EHME/Carlo. Take it from this new dad - the first month is very trying, so relish the amount of sleep you get now...

BJ Penn vs Joe Stevenson

Gabriel Gonzaga vs Fabricio Werdum II

Kendall Grove vs Jorge Rivera

Marcus Davis vs Jess Liaudin

Sam Stout vs Terry Etim

Not a bad card so far but hopefully this ends up being free. If that's the case, fucking awesome card.

And the co-main? Gonzaga vs Werdum. Not sure that Werdum has the name recognition to be second from the top.

BTW, congrats to EHME/Carlo. Take it from this new dad - the first month is very trying, so relish the amount of sleep you get now...

Well if it's free like most of us are assuming, it really matter about Werdum's name appeal, people will tune in either way.

And thanks a lot man, I know I have a lot of work to do, I especially got to stop partying every weekend.