TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Watched UFC 59: Reality Check today. Tito/Forrest sorta makes me want to see Tito/Forrest 2 for the belt, even though Ortiz is long from it. 30/27 Ortiz in deeeed.

Also, Noble vs. Alves was fucking great. RIP Evan Tanner. I am so happy Fedor dummied Timmah, cause it's a consolation after seeing Tim beat A.A. here.

When Jon Fitch was reinstated by the UFC, I assumed the whole debacle with AKA was over. Apparently not. Franklin McNeil of MMA Live said the Yoshida fight could be Josh Koschecks last fight in the UFC. He said the tension between the UFC and Kos is still there and that Kos has no intention to sign their licensing agreement. I guess there is still a chance that Kos will be cut from the UFC.

After watching some of Anderson Silva's boxing matches... I hope he sticks with MMA and doesn't really retire to pursue boxing.

Footwork is great... and that's about it. His hands are fucking SLOW. I don't think I've seen a slower jab, except maybe at the local boxing gyms. He'd get killed by any mediocre boxer.

This really only applies to Mik and me unless there are others that have HDNet I'm not aware of but they're showing the MFC card live tonight at 10 and the main event is John Alessio vs Paul Daley which should be a fun scrap. Daley lasted longer then expected against Shields and Alessio isn't on Jake's level of wrestling and submissions but he's also never been KO'd or TKO'd in his long-ass career so I dunno if Semtex is the one to do it.

Card also features the return of a promising LHW in Roger Hollett and what should be a sweet LW bout between Ariel Sexton and Derrick Noble.

So would KenFlo have problems with Diego if they were to fight today?

My initial instinct is that it'd be a much closer fight, if nothing else. It's hard for me to make a comittment one way or another because I have no idea how Diego is going to perform at 155. Ken-Flo has improved leaps and bounds since their first fight - I'm not sure I could say the same for Diego.

I'd love to see this fight. I'm leaning towards Kenny taking it now.

Against Alves, yes. He was using Thiago's ribs as a heavy bag and had him almost put away when that Brazilian bastard landed a blind counter FTW.

Kimbo's a pretty well-spoken guy, actually. If you're basing his ability to speak on being interviewed after fights you should do some further research.

No he is basing this of a sterotype because Brody is a redneck hillbilly from Wisconsin. And I'm not joking.

This really only applies to Mik and me unless there are others that have HDNet I'm not aware of but they're showing the MFC card live tonight at 10 and the main event is John Alessio vs Paul Daley which should be a fun scrap. Daley lasted longer then expected against Shields and Alessio isn't on Jake's level of wrestling and submissions but he's also never been KO'd or TKO'd in his long-ass career so I dunno if Semtex is the one to do it.

Card also features the return of a promising LHW in Roger Hollett and what should be a sweet LW bout between Ariel Sexton and Derrick Noble.

John Alessio is tough... Pete Spratt broke his arm, and he still won the fight by rear naked choke. I know, I know, it's Pete Spratt and RNCing him isn't excatly the greatest accomplishment, but still says alot about Alessio's toughness that he was able to pull through the injury.

I hope Daley wins though, after the shit I seen Alessio talking. I have Alessio on my facebook, and he's say he's going to send Daley back to the UK with his tail between his legs and all this shit. I'm hoping Daley kicks his face off.

So would KenFlo have problems with Diego if they were to fight today?

My initial instinct is that it'd be a much closer fight, if nothing else. It's hard for me to make a comittment one way or another because I have no idea how Diego is going to perform at 155. Ken-Flo has improved leaps and bounds since their first fight - I'm not sure I could say the same for Diego.

I'd love to see this fight. I'm leaning towards Kenny taking it now.

I don't see any reason why Diego wouldn't take the fight now. He dominated him the 1st fight. Granted Florian's a better fight now, but that still has to be in his head.

Diego at 155 for the 1st time in his MMA career would have a size advantage over fighters. He was very small for 170, and he was bulldozing through people... Just imagine him with a size advantage, very very scary.

Apart from BJ Penn, who is going to be the WW champion anyway... I don't see anyone in the UFC beating Diego at 155.

Sherk's a bigger LW then Diego and despite Diego's excellent ability to scramble I see Sherk being able to keep him down for three rounds and avoid the subs ala Fitch.

Sherk isn't as strong as Fitch nor is he a better wrestler, and Fitch had major problems with keeping Sanchez down. Hell I scored the fight for Sanchez.

Uh.......no. Sherk has better boxing then Diego.

I don't think he has better overall striking then Diego. Diego showed some very slick and crisp muay thai against Luigi.

Uh.......no. Sherk has better boxing then Diego.

I don't think he has better overall striking then Diego. Diego showed some very slick and crisp muay thai against Luigi.

Okay.

But he has better boxing. Fast, accurate and throws comb's well.

I'd favor Kenny over Diego, personally.

Diego only originally beat Kenny due to the huge size disadvantage and the fact that Kenny was still raw. Diego's shown no real discernible improvement in quite some time. Kenny? Kenny improves by leaps and bounds every time he fights.

I really don't see what Diego would have better then Kenny at 155. Strength, I suppose. I'd say Kenny's stand up is far more developed then Diego's at this point. Kenny works angles, he uses strategy. Diego just bulldozes. I can't see that working that well with Kenny. Kenny's like...a exciting Lyoto Machida in the way he strikes standing, really.

On the ground, it'd depend on who got control probably...both are very strong, but thus far, Kenny's top game is virtually a death sentence. In none of his last few fights, has anyone really come close to escaping him if he's on top. That's very impressive. He's gotten all his last few fights down at some point, and controlled them. In the case of Lauzon and Stevenson, it was their death knell.

The only chance I'd give Diego at this point, if he got Kenny down, and somehow kept Kenny from sweeping him. That or rocking Kenny's chin.

That's about it, really.

I'd favor Kenny, but if there's a fighter who could find his way out from under his top game and even be offensive from there, it'd be Diego. His bottom game and scrambling ability are both very good, and his insane cardio pretty much assures he hardly needs to rest, thus allowing him to constantly maneuver. That being said, Diego still can't check a low-kick to save his life (as in, someone could literally stop him low kicks if they made an concerted effort), and Kenny has found answers for Diego's head-first style since their first meeting. The fight would largely depend on how often Diego can bring Kenny to the ground, IMO.

I hate validating Kenny Florian, and beating Diego is just about the only thing that turns me around on him. I just don't see it happening. Kenny has had some good wins, but I still don't think he has proven that his bottom game is good enough to stop an elite level GnP'r. Diego at 155 is a jacked up monster. As good as Kenny is with leg kicks, he doesn't throw them with a Thiago Alves-like frequency, especially against wrestlers. It's too much a risk for him to throw so he won't.

Against Stevenson he worked a perfect gameplan and looked tremendous standing, mainly because he was able to work off his reach advantage. Circle and Jab, keep to the outside. He was comfortable standing with Joe because he knew Joe wasn't able to touch him. When Joe did pressure him, Stevenson got him against the fence for the takedown (which would have been a lot worse had Kenny not grabbed the fence). Diego will chase Kenny down, guaranteed.

Where Kenny has made vast improvements in his technique and overall strategy/game, Diego hasn't refined his game so much as he added some big time weapons - most notably his left and right hooks, right uppercut, LHK, and lunging knees. It's sorta this RPG-esque comparison between the guy who spent time rounding his game off building up stat points and the dude who has just been buying bombs and firepower (ok, I don't play RPG's, but hopefully the point is made.) So while Diego still goes into retard-mode when fighting, he has added some game enders in his arsenal. Kenny won't feel as comfortable standing with Diego than he did with Joe cause the reach won't be there nor will the fearlessness, so that changes his game altogether. He won't be able to circle forever, and he doesn't have Lyoto-like spider sense in maneuvering around the cage. Diego gets Kenny down and bombs on him. Not for the finish this time, but I think he'll score more points with aggression, damage, and control.