TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Well - EHME is banned. There goes one of our more active forum posters.

I'm amazed this didn't happen sooner. Half of his posts in this forum were some equivalent of "fuck you for disagreeing with me".

And/or "I m s0 drunkzs right nowz". Sometimes at the same time.

Even though we lost EHME, I'm sure a Sherdogger will find this place and make roost.

Seeing as how me and KOAB are the only two members in his H.O.F that actively post in this forum ya'll can feel free to call me a down-ass nigga any time you want. Anything to fill the void.

Wow, non spammers get banned at this board still? I always just accepted him at face value for what he was. Just shake your head and move on. Haven't been around lately, anyone know the thread he got the ax in?

I'll believe that when I see it. Regarding the fight, despite him getting dusted by Petruzelli I think Kimbo would fuck Sapp up pretty easily. Bob is the biggest fighter with the smallest heart. He'll cave if Kimbo goes hood on him.

Then again if Kimbo can drop off a fuckin jab from the crane stance anything Sapp throws should have the power to put him away.

I, for one eagerly anticipate MMA purists bitching and whining about this if it comes true.

There's actually a good chance Sapp/Kimbo could happen. Sapp needs paydays (He was pretty much supposed to get beaten by Kinniku Mantaro...but...Sapp decided to train) and what do you do with Kimbo if your not going to do superfight OMG insane fights? He's not at a level where he'd even hurt Alistair Overeem.

On paper, Sapp should destroy Kimbo though. He's done more in his career, he's had more fights, won against big names but this is the same Sapp who pretty much just...STOPPED training for a long time, and looked to not want to fight anymore in the ring. The Jan Nortje fight springs to mind.

If Sapp were to come in having actually god forbid trained and stopped prostituting himself for whatever money people threw at him, Kimbo Slice would most likely be murdered with SAPP HAMMAHS.

You'll have fun. UFC 83 wasn't a great show in terms of star power but the crowd was nuclear. Even though GSP isn't on this show you've still got Silva, Chuck and Shogun to make up for it and there's always the possibility of GSP coming into the octagon after Silva slaughters Leites to build up the potential bout.

There has been talk about UFC 97 on sports radio in Quebec, the news hasn't hit mainstream MMA websites yet but probably will soon.

UFC may or may not happen in Montreal after all. It’s not officially cancelled but there are problems with the Alcohol, Races & Games commission in the province of Quebec. It only allows boxing, mixed boxing and kickboxing events in the province. The law forbids any kind of events that would include elbow or kneestrikes, thus it would include any UFC events.

The worst part is even if UFC 83 broke all sorts of box-office records here in Montreal and it happenned a year ago, the AR&G commission was aware of its existence only a few days ago. The director of communications for the commission even acknowledged the fact they haven’t properly done their job in supervising UFC 83. What's more unbelievable is there must have been near 40 or so smaller MMA cards done in Montreal since the last 2 or 3 years. There are even broadcasts of a local MMA promotion in prime time on the 3rd biggest TV channel in Quebec, yet nobody seemed to be even aware of what MMA was until a few days ago. The government is still on the early/mid-90's position where MMA is barbarism and injuries are inevitable.

There are over 12 000 tickets pre-sold (the official tickets sales date is this Saturday), those people may have a refund if the event is cancelled. The only way UFC 97 could happen as of right now in Montreal is if UFC follows the provincial law by banning all elbows and knee strikes, which is completely ridiculous. When asked if the laws could be changed in time before April 18th, the guy from the commission said it would be difficult to change laws on such a short notice. Montreal lost its F1 World Grand Prix earlier in 2008, UFC could bring a good portion of the money lost in the Grand Prix weekend but the AR&G guy said on the interview the commission wasn’t there for economical growth. He said UFC is welcome in Quebec if they respect the commission laws but they won't mind if they'll move the show elsewhere.

Here's the link for the article....although I don't think it will be useful for this board since the article is written en français (I've told you the news didn't hit mainstream yet). What I've just written is pretty much the summary anyway.

If UFC ends up having to refund all those tickets, you probably will never see a UFC in Montreal.

Dana White won't forget it. He's as vindictive as Vince McMahon and seemingly not quite as forgiving. He'll hold it against that commission for years.

It's one thing for a commission to not let them hold shows ahead of time, but to be this far into it and the commission be saying stuff like that. Yeah. He's not going to be happy at all.

I don't think the event is doomed yet. The story just broke out and I think there will be enough pressure until April to allow the show to take place. The UFC people won't allow the commission to fuck-up their plans at such a short notice. The commission just needs a proper education in modern MMA, with the unifed rules and all. Just from an economic viewpoint, it would be totally foolish to spit in millions of dollars in a period of recession.

However, I don't think there will be another UFC show in Montreal for a looooooong time (like, no WWF after SS97-like drought). Toronto will become the premier canadian city for UFC event as soon as the Ontario government modifies its laws.3

Edit : Holy fuck I made the Observer's top news today *adds a star to his Smartmarks card*

At least GSP isn't on the card this time around. I imagine Quebec and surrounding regions would have burned to the ground if that were the case.

I don't think the event is doomed yet. The story just broke out and I think there will be enough pressure until April to allow the show to take place. The UFC people won't allow the commission to fuck-up their plans at such a short notice. The commission just needs a proper education in modern MMA, with the unifed rules and all. Just from an economic viewpoint, it would be totally foolish to spit in millions of dollars in a period of recession.

However, I don't think there will be another UFC show in Montreal for a looooooong time (like, no WWF after SS97-like drought). Toronto will become the premier canadian city for UFC event as soon as the Ontario government modifies its laws.3

Edit : Holy fuck I made the Observer's top news today *adds a star to his Smartmarks card*

The stories that have broke on MMAJunkie and Sherdog in the last day seem to indicate pretty clearly that the athletic commission isn't budging on the rules so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet this show is in serious jeopardy, barring Ratner or Dana/Lorenzo pulling something out of their hat at the last minute. No way UFC would allow the show to go on with a smaller cage, no elbows/knees and the rule that if a fighter gets knocked down the ref will stop the action to check if they're okay.

Of late, it seems that more and more Japanese fighters have started viewing the U.S. as being the pinnacle of MMA competition (Takeya Mizugaki being the latest example). While this is cool in that it will likely lead to more Japanese fighters making the move stateside, it's also worrying that most still aren't fully embracing Western training philosophy. Gono is a good example of a talented fighter for whom it was assumed by many (myself included) to be a guy who could simply cut weight and succeed at a smaller weight class. However, he still looks like a smaller fighter compared to the Western fighters in the division, who generally have much more in-depth weight training and nutritional regiments. Until these incoming fighters assimilate, I forsee a lot more examples of Japanese fighters unable to compete with the sheer physicality of the competition they face stateside.