TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Generally speaking, even the blackest of Latin guys will identify as Latin more than as a black guy. Cultural identity > skin color, I suppose.

While that is true, it doesn't mean that reporters/journalist have to be ignorant and ignore the facts. They also failed to mention Cheick Kongo who is pretty popular to the casual fan and is a maybe one fight away from getting a title shot... Which goes back to LOTC's original point where if they aren't African-American/Canadian, they aren't black... Despite Kongo look like he was an extra in Blood Diamond.

Again, it's a cultural thing. The article is largely about African-American fighters (the phrase being used a few times), and how they allow North American blacks to relate to the fighters in the cage/ring. Regarding someone like Kongo, I don't think your average African-American feels much kinship with blacks still living in Africa, or in this case, a French black man.

Does Koscheck need to pay off his mortgage in a hurry or something?

March 08 vs Hazelett

July vs Lytle

October vs Alves

December vs Yoshida

Just now vs Thiago

and he's set for May at UFC 98

6 fights in 14 months is a lot for a fighter, let alone a UFC fighter

Also on the subject on black fighters, it sucks that Shonie Carter, Din Thomas, or Yves Edwards IMO... In my opinion these guys are some of the pioneers for good overall skilled African-American fighters, unlike one demenionsal fighters like Kevin Randleman, or Maurice Smith.

I never really got an answer about that in the other thread: Did the audience actually buy that? Or did they turn on the whole thing seeing those pathetic punches?

Talking to Breen again, and he's brought up a lot of interesting points about the viability of the UFC exploring the Korean market (GOOD IDEA) versus their hard-on to make their brand work in Japan (BAD IDEA). His article is a great jumping off point:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/ufcs-...an-market-16345

Basically in Korea, Zuffa can just show up like they always do, and go "WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE AWESOME."
-Jordan Breen

Fuck, that sucks. Comes off the most high-profile fight of his career and this happens. Poor Baby Joe.

More high profile then the Florian, and Pulver fights? Me thinks not!

Not bigger than the Florian fight, but I think the Pulver fight wasn't actually all that high profile.

Maybe not as far as rankings went, but Pulver was being hyped from the UFC as being the last UFC LW Champion. Lauzon was suppose to be an easy set up for Pulver to get a crack at the Sherk/Florian winner... It put Lauzon on the map in the casual fans eyes.

Fuck, that sucks. Comes off the most high-profile fight of his career and this happens. Poor Baby Joe.

More high profile then the Florian, and Pulver fights? Me thinks not!

Any hype from the Pulver fight was all for Jens, and the win didn't even get him a ticket back, which was crap, he had to go through TUF after that.

Kenny was his highest profiled fight, although for a win I would say his latest fight, he got to main event and he looked great

Former Heavyweight Champion, Hasim Rahman is entering MMA.

For those who don't pay attention to boxing, Rahman knocked out Lennox Lewis in 2001 to become the heavyweight champion in problay the biggest upset since Douglas/Tyson in the heavyweight division.