TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

Final Crisis

I picked it up today.

Man, you gotta love Grant Morrison. Seriously, despite the failure of Countdown, he manages to bring out one of the best written openings to a story that I've seen in a long time. From the beginning (With Anthro and a cameo appearance by Vandal Savage) to the end (With Kamandi), you just want to read more. The leitmotif of "Gods" and "Mortals" is shown throughout this one, and you just get this absolutely epic feeling out of reading it, even though you are wondering where he's going to go with everything.

I like Secret Invasion (Though the last issue was a bit weak). This, though, seems totally off the charts. What does everyone else think?

Honestly? It didn't draw me in like I thought it would.

Like you said, it was written well, but to me it felt like it was actually LACKING in that epic feel. If it were not meant to be DC's event of the year, it's perfectly acceptable stuff, but coming off of Infinite Crisis and a promise that everything in Countdown was leading to this, well, it's simply not good enough.

Part of this, I think, has to do with my liking Johns style more than Morrison's, and FC#1 was very much in the Morrison style. Overall, I don't think I'll be picking up #2.

I think Infinite Crisis gets the most puzzling reception of any event I've ever read. I loved it, but people hate it for the oddest reasons and no one seems to agree on which issues are the "good" ones and which issues are the "bad" ones. Never understood that.

I liked Infinite Crisis as well. The only issue I never really cared for was the one that dealt with Power Girl meeting Lois. There just wasn't much happening for me in that issue.

Final Crisis was an interesting read. I wish I would have read the JLA book that showed more of what Libra was doing first.

DC made me disappointed with who got killed in issue one. Of the people killed off in the last few years, this was to me the most upsetting.

I think Infinite Crisis gets the most puzzling reception of any event I've ever read. I loved it, but people hate it for the oddest reasons and no one seems to agree on which issues are the "good" ones and which issues are the "bad" ones. Never understood that.

I liked Infinite Crisis, but WAS tremendously disappointed in how the storyline turned out, as they built it up to be one story and it turned out to be much different.

All of the material leading up to the miniseries indicated that Infinite Crisis was basically going to be a damn-near GLOBAL war between the heroes and villains, with the villains finally getting sick of the heroes' shit (especially since the League went all fucking loopy for a while there by brainwashing villains) and banding together under a common cause. It was going to be this huge, massive battle royale.

Then the miniseries began, and we found out, naw, it ain't about that shit, it's about Alex Luthor going crazy and trying to recreate the multiverse.

It was good, just I didn't feel like the story we got was as interesting or compelling as the one we were sold on. But hey, Superboy - excuse me, SuperMAN Prime, is one of the best villains, IMO, of the last few years. The image of him ripping apart Teen Titans with his bare hands while screaming "You're RUINING me!!!!" was fantastic.

I liked Infinite Crisis, but WAS tremendously disappointed in how the storyline turned out, as they built it up to be one story and it turned out to be much different.

All of the material leading up to the miniseries indicated that Infinite Crisis was basically going to be a damn-near GLOBAL war between the heroes and villains, with the villains finally getting sick of the heroes' shit (especially since the League went all fucking loopy for a while there by brainwashing villains) and banding together under a common cause. It was going to be this huge, massive battle royale.

Then the miniseries began, and we found out, naw, it ain't about that shit, it's about Alex Luthor going crazy and trying to recreate the multiverse.

It was good, just I didn't feel like the story we got was as interesting or compelling as the one we were sold on. But hey, Superboy - excuse me, SuperMAN Prime, is one of the best villains, IMO, of the last few years. The image of him ripping apart Teen Titans with his bare hands while screaming "You're RUINING me!!!!" was fantastic.

Wait, what?!

Basically, a whole legion of former/current Teen Titans, Doom Patrol and JSA attacked SBPrime. He kicked their asses left and right, ripping Pantha's head off. SBPrime is super mad/pissed, because to that point he kept saying how much he hates the modern heroes (Connor specifically), and now they drove him to the point of superviolence. Then right after that, he killed a couple other guys.

Basically, a whole legion of former/current Teen Titans, Doom Patrol and JSA attacked SBPrime. He kicked their asses left and right, ripping Pantha's head off. SBPrime is super mad/pissed, because to that point he kept saying how much he hates the modern heroes (Connor specifically), and now they drove him to the point of superviolence. Then right after that, he killed a couple other guys.

carnage.jpg

Which was immediately after knocking Pantha's head off.

I just can't help but love that gruesome picture of Risk' arms being ripped to shreds.

Personally my favorite was the Joker taking down the Royal Flush gang. Now that was awesome.

Part of me is still disappointed that Darkseid wasn't a part of Infinite Crisis. I guess they thought that he didn't fit in the story. Oh well. :huh:

I think Darkseid will probably have a big role in Final Crisis.

I reread Infinite Crisis a few weeks back and I've come to the conclusion that I really didn't like it.

That is such an awesome scene.

But this makes it even better.

Anybody still reading Final Crisis? It is easily the 2nd best comic out right now (after Tiny Titans, of course). The recent reveal in Resist was one of those, "Oh god, not again... but I guess it makes sense." The only way to combat evil is to use evil? I can't wait to see where it goes.

Also, where the hell is Amanda Waller? Out of the handful of survivors from Checkmate, it'll break my heart to see her with a helmet :(

Im still picking it up but its now wowing me at all. As far as Im concerned the best thing about Final Crisis was The Rogue's Revenge mini-series. If anyone decided to pass up on that one you really should give it a look anyways its proof on why The Flashes Rouges gallary is behind only Spider-Man and Batmans in terms of awesomeness.

As far as Im concerned the best thing about Final Crisis was The Rogue's Revenge mini-series.

100% Agreement. I'm hoping they release a Rogue's title. Though I love the Secret Six, they have nothing on the Flash's Rogues in the sense of bad guys just being bad guys, but not as bad as others. Even the Flash and Substance episode of Justice League Unlimited portrayed them well.

Also, perchance I have blind love for Final Crisis due to the Fourth World being my favorite title and Darkseid as my favorite villain.

That's a great page. It might have been my favorite sequence in Infinite Crisis.

Barry Allen's cameo was the kicker for that entire sequence. I actually said "HOLY SHIT!" aloud when I read it. And considering where SBP ended up, I like the ending better in hindsight than I did before.

Anyways, FC has had me hooked. 2 was a little more cryptic than perhaps I wanted, but 3 and 4 were pretty awesome. It doesn't feel like a conventional event at all, and I love how the New Gods are being recreated. And the Tie-Ins are great, too: Revelations is awesome, Legion of 3 Worlds is typical Johns goodness, Submit was okay but Resist was a great capstone to Rucka's run on Checkmate (God, that series just went down the hole after he left), and Rogue's has already been praised.

What I would like to know, is Mary Marvel possessed a'la Turpin, or is she just insane by this point?

Um... it happened in Countdown... but Darkseid and Eclipso sort of turned her to the dark side with offers of power (and candy). The only reason I'm sort of reticent to talk about it is because it happened... well, in Countdown.

*Throws salt over shoulder*

I remember that part, and how Darksied gave her back the Black Adam powers- but in Final Crisis, she's turned into Ultimate-Bondage Mary Marvel, witht eh shaved head with two pink pigtails and leather outfit. I was wondering is she was posessed like Turpin is, or is she just gone nuts.

As far as Im concerned the best thing about Final Crisis was The Rogue's Revenge mini-series.

100% Agreement. I'm hoping they release a Rogue's title. Though I love the Secret Six, they have nothing on the Flash's Rogues in the sense of bad guys just being bad guys, but not as bad as others. Even the Flash and Substance episode of Justice League Unlimited portrayed them well.

Also, perchance I have blind love for Final Crisis due to the Fourth World being my favorite title and Darkseid as my favorite villain.

I loved the Rouges Revenge mini. I wish DC would let John's write a series of just the Flash's rogues. I love his protrayal of Captain Cold.

I am still reading Final Crisis, but the I heard that the series ending is going back for a re-write due to DiDio didn't like the ending. That is just a rumor I heard though. I am also disappointed that Jones hasn't been able to keep up the pace on the series either.

If that rumor is true, you'd think they would have the entire Final Crisis story arc locked in, beginning to end. Especially since they've spent a better part of 2 years building to it.

They did, but if rumors are to be believed didio's a douchebag and wanted the whole ending changed. So much of a douchebag that he apparently made James Robinson quit DC and Action Comics, which totally screws up "New Krypton." Again thats only based on rumors though.

Looking at CBR, THIS shocked the hell out of me:

IGN Comics: As Battle for the Cowl moves on, how will the other prominent Batman books such as Detective Comics and Batman factor in?>

DiDio: What happens is that, after February, Batman and Detective go on hiatus. They will return, with their natural numbering, later in the year. And we've cancelled Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey. With all of these books, it's not that any of these characters are going to be off the slate for any amount of time – quite the opposite. They will be prominently featured in Battle for the Cowl and a number of series that will be premiering in June once Cowl concludes.

If what they're saying is true, it would make sense to cancel Nightwing. But canceling Robin and Birds of Prey, especially when theya re all tocking rigth now? Even if the characters feature in Battle for the Cowl, that is a lot of ancillary characters to give face to in one book.

Well, he's technically not dead... he's simply living an endless procession of lives, each more pointless and oppressing than the next. His body might be dead, but his soul/mind is still in a hell of Darkseid's creation.