TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

Final Crisis

Well, he's technically not dead... he's simply living an endless procession of lives, each more pointless and oppressing than the next. His body might be dead, but his soul/mind is still in a hell of Darkseid's creation.

I think Geoff Johns has already created a way to bring Batman back.

I have no fucking idea what happened in issue 7 of this and I just read it twice. I'm usually cool with Grant Morrison's crazy, super condensed plotting, but this was just nuts.

I've never had to go to wikipedia after reading a comic book to find out what I just read until now.

I dunno; the plot clicked with me for some reason. I didn't really have trouble following much of it at all. Then again, being ADHD might have helped me out in this situation.

I can totally understand if you didn't like it, though. Definitely not for everybody.

I personally really enjoyed the series, confusing as hell but a fun read.

However this type of story should not be an "event" comic, you have to appeal more to the lowest common denominator on those. The series was too much to take in one reading you have to read it multiple times to grasp what is going on.

The big mistake here is that DC should have come out and said that every tie-in Grant Morrison wrote was must read as well.

This is basically the whole series

Final Crisis #1-7

Final Crisis: Submit

Batman #682-863 "Last Rites"

Superman Beyond #1-2

If you didn't read Superman Beyond, issue 7 is a way tougher read than it already is.

Yeah, you can't ignore Superman Beyond and the two Batman tie-in issues. You can get away with not reading Submit, as it's sort of explained in the story.

Here is an awesome interview with Grant Morrison that is really making me rethink everything about Final Crisis. I need to reread it from the start (plus Superman Beyond) now.

I love this philosophy he has about Superman here

Morrison: Yeah, pretty much. The fact that in the DC Universe there is a story about a genuinely good and moral man who can't be beat, and the fact that the DC Universe exists in the real world means that humanity made up a story about a genuinely moral man who can't be beat. That's a really cool story to learn from, especially when we're under a lot of pressure in the world today from lots of angles. So again, like I said to you earlier, it's the idea of acknowledging a genuine depth of reality to these fictions. It's not the fourth wall, it's not post-modern or meta – I hate those terms because I think they just undermine the simple notion that everything we can experience is real, including dreams and stories. These characters are in here, in the universe with us, and they have s--t to tell us. And that's what I find really exciting. They're real in the sense that you can hold them in your hands and interact with them. They don't need to pretend to live in New York. It's much more real than that – they're actually alive in our hands.

Legion of Three Worlds #3: So,

Bart Allen/Kid Flash

is alive again.

Plus, Sodam Yat

the last Green Lantern

is convinced by Mon-El to take up the ring again, and has a fucking awesome oath. Something tells me that ties into the current GL storyline, even if it is a thousand years later.