• Celtics in 4
    • Lakers in 4
    • Celtics in 5
    • Lakers in 5
    • Celtics in 6
    • Lakers in 6
    • Celtics in 7
    • Lakers in 7

Apropos of this "how good is Paul Pierce really?" discussion allow me to quote the best summation of the man's life & legacy yet written.

Look under that Ikea rug you've had since sophomore year and there's Paul Pierce screaming, "You want them to chop me up and feed me to the poor!?"

I know I'm about to sound like some asshole on a message board talking about DITC singles. I know Boston is probably trying to angle for Oden. I know Ainge is sitting there, rubbing his Toronto Blue Jays rookie card against his cheek, staring at a picture of Joseph Smith, thinking about how an 18-year old who plays with one hand and looks like Patrick Ewing's grandfather is gonna save his rep.

But to get there, Extra P is going on the cross. In early '01 I used to walk around and tell dudes Pierce was better than Kobe. And I was being fucking serious! To quote Fletch, MAYBE YOU NEED A REFRESHER COURSE.

He Jesused that team after Pitino drove it into a ditch and fled the scene. He took a squad that was STARTING TONY DELK and got them within a couple of lucky bounces of the Finals. All he had was Cybertoine and a license to shoot three's without prejudice. And lest we forget (as if them Geico caveman looking Nets fans would let us) HE GOT STABBED!

"Oh word, you got tendinitis? I got shankitis. They ain't got an ointment for that yet."

The only Hall of Fame Zo should get in is the Defective Kidney Hall of Fame.

Please welcome Bob Bitterman to the stage.

I'd say it's time to let it go, but there's probably a few things from my teams' histories I can't let go either.

Before these playoffs, I think Pierce and Allen were seen as not being much different than other current guards or swingmen like Vince, T-Mac, Arenas, 'Melo, Bosh (more of a big but still...), etc...(great scorers, numerous All-Star games, a couple All-NBA teams here and there, not a lot of playoff success, etc...). I'm not saying that all these players are equal, just that they had somewhat similar resumes and were perceived in general as being on that level right below a Kobe or a LeBron (or even a pre-injured Wade). Getting to the Finals and winning it puts Pierce/Allen above that group but I think they've still got work to do to get in the HOF.

The only Hall of Fame Zo should get in is the Defective Kidney Hall of Fame.

Please welcome Bob Bitterman to the stage.

I'd say it's time to let it go, but there's probably a few things from my teams' histories I can't let go either.

I always to say that when your team wins a title, it wipes away all the bad feelings.

So the Nets bad feelings will be wiped away in 2104

I thought those two were slightly above that group, but now I think it's unquestionable, in terms of body of work. It's kind of bothered me a bit all season, though, that I don't recall anyone referring to Ray Allen as a future HOFer before he was traded to one of the league's "darling" teams. But now that he's a Celtic it's "Oh, there's NO QUESTION that this guy is going in."

rowdy-fans2.jpg

That poor flower pot. That's about the extent of the "rioting" last night (along with some storefront windows). Fortunately, the Deadspin post I got that picture from has a link to some real "celebrations".

Before these playoffs, I think Pierce and Allen were seen as not being much different than other current guards or swingmen like Vince, T-Mac, Arenas, 'Melo, Bosh (more of a big but still...), etc...(great scorers, numerous All-Star games, a couple All-NBA teams here and there, not a lot of playoff success, etc...). I'm not saying that all these players are equal, just that they had somewhat similar resumes and were perceived in general as being on that level right below a Kobe or a LeBron (or even a pre-injured Wade). Getting to the Finals and winning it puts Pierce/Allen above that group but I think they've still got work to do to get in the HOF.

Thats putting them pretty low. both of them had led teams to the Eastern Conference finals once, Allen has been a part of some damn good teams, and is getting close to catching Miller for 3 pointers made in a career.

I already went over Paul Pierce.

Vince, T-Macn, Arenas, Bosh...only one has been out of the first round of the playoffs.

Guest Jesus Freaks on Coke
rowdy-fans2.jpg

That poor flower pot. That's about the extent of the "rioting" last night (along with some storefront windows). Fortunately, the Deadspin post I got that picture from has a link to some real "celebrations".

Holy shit I think I see one black guy in the way back of that crowd.

rowdy-fans2.jpg

There's also no women.

I guess Boston is sexist as well as racist.

Some picture

There's also no women.

Because Boston women remember what happened last time they went out and celebrated

After her death, Boston Red Sox outfielder Trot Nixon said he would have traded back Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS to have her back.

Let's not say things we don't mean, Trot.

I also can't believe she got her own wikipedia entry.