TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geniusMoment

Beverly Hills Cop IV

courtesy of reuters/yahoo

Eddie Murphy to return as "Beverly Hills Cop"

If Indiana Jones can make a successful comeback after almost 20 years, why not the Beverly Hills Cop?

Paramount Pictures has given the go-ahead for a fourth installment of its "Beverly Hills Cop" franchise, with Eddie Murphy on board to return to the role that launched his movie career, the studio said on Thursday.

Brett Ratner, the filmmaker behind the similarly themed "Rush Hour" movies starring Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan, is in negotiations to direct the latest "Beverly Hills Cop" adventure, a Paramount spokesman said.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura ("Transformers") will produce.

The film is expected to begin filming next year for a summer 2010 release.

According to Daily Variety, it was Murphy, 47, who approached the Viacom Inc-owned studio about reviving the film series in which he plays a Detroit police detective, Axel Foley, who ends up chasing crooks in Beverly Hills, California.

The original 1984 film and its two sequels, the last of which opened in 1994, collectively grossed more than $735 million in theaters worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo. The first movie alone took in over $316 million globally.

The decision to make "Beverly Hills Cop IV" follows Paramount's success with the revival of its "Indiana Jones" franchise after 19 years. The fourth film in that series, "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," opened last Thursday and grossed nearly $152 million in its first five days in domestic release.

Murphy's last two films, the live-action comedy "Norbit" and the animated storybook satire "Shrek the Third," in which he supplied the voice of a talking donkey, grossed $159 million and $799 million worldwide, respectively, according to Box Office Mojo.

Reuters/Nielsen

The better question is: will Judge Reinhold return?

I don't know, he might be making that thrilling laugh out sequel 'Beethoven's 17th: Time to put him down' or having another bit but impact role in 'The Santa Clause 4: Tim Allen is bored'

I just hope John Ashton and Hector Elizondo come back. Hector had the funniest line in part 3.

Oh shit, son, I totally called this happening. Now do Robocop 4.

They really shouldn't.

This is pretty lame. I like BHC and all, but Eddie Murphy isn't funny anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

Oh, and Brett Ratner is directing it?

*smacks head on desk*

Hell, I know there's a good chance it won't be any good. But, as I've said before, I don't see a downside to a movie being made that I don't like.

Doing a fourth to a long dead series seems to be the in thing now, and some of them have actually turned out pretty well. Give it a shot.

What happened to Ratner directing the movie version of Harbinger? I don't see any real upside to another BHC movie. The original is a relic of the 1980s, the 2nd movie did pretty well but wasn't especially good, and BHC 3 was pretty much the peak of Murphy not drawing a dime in the 1990s before he went into family fare.

So when are we going to get Lethal Weapon 5?

Fuck that. I'm tired of being dicked out of Loaded Weapon 2. Make that shit already.

So when are we going to get Lethal Weapon 5?

Fuck that. I'm tired of being dicked out of Loaded Weapon 2. Make that shit already.

God damn YES!

Emilo can even direct if he wants!

Put that on a fast track Hollywood, Kathy Ireland needs the money.

Robocop 4? Last heard they were remaking the first Robocop. There's your bullshit.

Whatever, Eddie...this can't be any worse than Norbit or Pluto Nash so go for it, I say.

Will Murphy actually break his string of just doing family style comedy for this? If not it will be horrible, however, if he's willing to be somewhat edgy again for this role it could be good.

Judge Reinhold had that dream again.

:lol:

Terrific.

I know it sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I am totally into inferior movies about 20 year old franchises letting me see what characters have been up to. That's why I loved Die Hard and all that sort of stuff. I think I would even enjoy Old Fat Ramis as Egon Spengler in GB3 now (but the video game with their voices is good enough for now).

Why? You don't like THE RAT?! But what about Rush Hour, Rush Hour 2, Rush Hour 3, and X-Men 3: The Last Stand?! THESE ARE CINEMATIC MASTERPIECES, YOU STUPID BASTARD!!!

Judge Reinhold had that dream again.

Whatever happened to the animated Clerks movie?

Oh my God, Bear is driving! How can that be?

Miramax own the rights to the Animated Series, and since the Weinsteins are no longer head honcho's of Miramax, the chances of a Clerks Animated Movie are slim.

Smith told me this at a Q and A last year.