TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foleyfanforever88

Video Game Desert Island draft

I'm surprised this lasted as long as it did. FFX is my favorite new Square RPG. It's the only recent FF that tells a good solid story from beginning to end. It's got really good combat, too, and the endgame arena monsters give tons of replay value. And Blitzball is awesome. I'd take Blitzball over the entirety of FF9, haha.

I'm not going to get started on how much I disliked this game. I'm clearly out numbered :P

You're not completely alone; I like FFX well enough, but the stifling linearity and Tidus (who might very well be the most obnoxious FF protagonist ever in retrospect, decent storyline be damned) are major killjoys that have severely dampened what enthusiasm I once held for the game.

I'm really suprised Xenogears lasted this long.

I'm not that big a fan of it, but from what I can gather, people go ape shit for it.

Heh I hated Xenogears. Great plot, but worst gameplay ever. And you can't accelerate the text scroll speed. Seriously, come on. It was so frustrating because I wanted to keep playing to see the plot, but eventually I had to give up because I couldn't stomach the gameplay anymore.

Great pick on MGS3. My favorite ending in all of videogames, by a mile. The only videogame ending that's left tears in my eyes.

Xenogears is a tale of two discs...disc one is great, traditional RPG action...disc two is cut scene city. Literally it goes battle, cut scene, battle, cut scene, battle, cut scene with VERY little free world roaming. Also, whoever wrote the story is clearly a Vince Russo fan because I've never seen so many face/heel turns.

North v. South/NES

Probably would've gone undrafted, but I loved it.

Aw goddamnit. I loved that game. Certainly would have been a late round pick for me.

Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1, 1997)

crash-2.jpg

I need a platformer, and while the Crash series has gone to shit in recent years, it was great back in the day when Naughty Dog was still in charge. Crash 2 is my favorite of the series. It's nothing innovative, but it's just solid with well designed levels, and it's just plain fun.

KageroDeception2JP.jpg

Kagero Deception 2 (PS1)

You basically laid down traps to kill the people trying to take over the castle. First game I've seen where you are the villian.

Super%20Pang.gif

Super Pang (SNES, 1992)

I need another puzzle game and this one could last me a while. Fuck it's a hard game but I love it.

Here in 'merica we call that game Super Buster Bros.

wMortal_Kombat_II.png

Need I go into detail on how this game was a national obsession back in '94? How when I was nine I thought this was the coolest thing ever, how I looked forward to September 9th for months, how my brother told me in May of that year there was a kid in his 8th grade class who swore he had a copy of MK2 for SNES and that the game was already out in Florida? And how when it finally came out for home systems, unlike the first one, it wasn't a disappointment and everyone was happy that Acclaim got it right? Aww yeah.

holy hell, I spent tons of hours on MK2 on the SNES...virtually perfected all of the fatalities (including stage fatalities), babalities, friendships etc. etc. for every single character. Good Nerdy Times!

might as well take a fighting game while I'm at it:

Guilty_Gear_XX_PS2_JP.jpg

Guilty Gear XX -this game is bizarre enough, challenging enough, has awesome graphics and music, might as well scoop it on up.

I really didn't like DMC2. I can't quite place my finger on why, but I really disliked it comparred to the first one.

ugh, no computer, sorry for holding things up. I'll take

NobunagasAmbition1.jpg

Nobunaga's Ambition for the NES

Awesome strategy game, an all time favorite. I've come so close to beating it but never quite made it.

North vs South is a very good unknown pick up

Time for some sports, yo.

MVP-Baseball-2005.jpg

MVP Baseball 2005

Playstation 2 2005

I would have picked the PC version so I could mod the shit out of it and have basically MVP Baseball 2008, but we can't do that (damn it). Anyway, I haven't played any of the new baseball games that have come out, so this is still the best baseball game I've ever played.

1.jpg

Mario Tennis

Nintendo 64 2000

I could have swore this was picked, but I guess not. Anyway, I'm not really a tennis guy or anything, but this game is just fun. Waluigi FTW!

Crackdownfinalbox.jpg

Crackdown -probably the last sandbox game I'll take for the remainder of this draft...it's kinda short, but again, I enjoyed it more than any GTA game.

Star%20Tropics%201.jpg

Oh man, do I love this game. As much as some others don't like it, for me it's simply awesome. I would have picked this in the first or second round but I thought, "What's the point? Nobody else is going to choose Star Tropics." But it's mine now.