TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foleyfanforever88

Video Game Desert Island draft

Strikers 1945 3 (Arcade, 1999)

s1945iii.jpg

Great vertical scrolling shooter and another quarter-in-the-queue arcade favorite.

MaximumcarnageSNES_boxart.jpg

It's just a Final Fight ripoff with Spider-Man. Also, it has like 25 levels and no save or password feature. So why do I love it so much?

OK, jwest is on the clock until 10:49 AM, and the following can pick whenever:

Gert T (x2)

luke-o

Dr. Zoidberg

CanadianChris

Sorry been mental busy as of late.

Here's my pick:

250px-Space_Channel_5.PNG

Space Channel 5 (Dreamcast, 2000)

I suck at most rythem action games, but I'm pretty good at this one, so I'll pick it.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Son of a...

Well, anyway.

ki_arcade_screenshot_title.jpg

Killer Instinct

Arcade 1994

I always liked this game, though I never really got good at it at all. I guess if I'm on a desert island, I'll have plenty of time to practice those combos. Also features my favorite in-game announcer guy. "C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER" and "ULTRAAAAAAA COMBOOOOOOOOOOO" are like the best things ever. In fact, I took the arcade version solely because the announcer sounds better in that version.

L10854446.jpg

NBA 2K8

Xbox 360 2007

Well, it's the best basketball game I've ever played. Although maybe it's too good, since I get real mad when the other team actually plays good defense, causing me to lower their AI so I can beat the shit out of them. I guess I need to get some skills or something.

us_maxcarnage.jpg

It's just a Final Fight ripoff with Spider-Man. Also, it has like 25 levels and no save or password feature. So why do I love it so much?

It's also really, really hard. I'm not sure why you love it.

1063336289014hp.jpg

Final Fight CD -gotta go with the CD version...features all levels, all characters and they re-did the music using real instruments for a pretty kick ass soundtrack.

MaximumcarnageSNES_boxart.jpg

It's also really, really hard. I'm not sure why you love it.

Because it has the Demogoblin in it! And you can play as Venom. You couldn't do that in any game before that. AND Acclaim used it to encourage children to read so Maximum Carnage wasn't just a game, it was a humanitarian effort. Can't go wrong with that.

Both luke-o and Separate Ways missed their picks, so I'm skipping them and going with mine

The_Incredible_Hulk_Ultimate_Destruction_Dvd_ntsc-front.jpg

Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction

4 Words: Police Car Boxing Gloves

Whoooooa, sorry. I've been in New York for the past week and forgot to tell anybody. Sorry about that.

My two picks aaaaare:

250px-True_Crime_Streets_of_LA_Box.jpg

True Crime: Streets of LA (PS2)

AAAAAAND

TrueCrimeNY42.jpg

True Crime: New York City

I much prefer the NYC one, but both are pretty fun, if you ask me.

Since it's been 12 hours since bps21 was on the clock...

Tekken 6 (Arcade, 2008)

tekken_6_arcade_cab.jpg

Being stranded on a desert island would be a small price to pay for unlimited access to a Tekken 6 machine.

donpachi2.gif

DonPachi (Arcade)

I don't have a SHMUP yet, so I'll go with Cave's first entry into the manic shooter sub-genre. "This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done." Obviously, it's not quite as sophisticated as an Ikaruga or even a Radiant Silvergun, but it foregoes the puzzle-esque nature of those games for pure SHMUP fun without destroying your spirit through completely impossible situations (which would become commonplace in later Cave shooters).

Through high school, the local convenience store had a Terminator 2 pinball game, DonPachi, a Neo-Geo cabinet with Metal Slug, and Tekken 2. Now, that convenience store has been turned into an abandoned insurance retailer, weeds crawling up the old concrete median where the gas pumps used to be. You can't go home again, I guess.

I've actually been on the clock for a while, so I'll make my last pick:

21QWs7CL-tL._SL500_AA150_.jpg

X-Com: UFO Defense (Playstation)

I'm sure that many people haven't played the original PC game, let alone the Playstation port, but I couldn't care less. Despite being made almost 20 years ago, X-Com is still the gold standard for strategy games in my book. In one game, you get two completely absorbing gameplay models:

- phenomenal turn-based squad-level strategy that incorporates fog of war, realistic squad tactics (like establishing a perimeter), and soldier morale (which can lead to soldiers panicking or even going berserk).

- addictive "global" strategy, which involves constructing bases, recruiting personnel, researching alien artifacts through an expansive tech tree, and intercepting/scouting alien activity throughout the world.

Through both gameplay models, you control a dedicated X-Com force to fight invasion from Lovecraft-inspired aliens that can blow themselves up upon death, zombify innocents, discover (and eventually invade) your base, and negotiate with countries to kill your funding and join the alien alliance.

Probably one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, so there's no way I can leave it behind.

Star Wars Episode 1 Pinball (Arcade, 1999)

front_side-lg2.jpg

Terrible movie, amazing pinball game. The video screen and missions made it a ton more interesting than all the other pinball games where you just play for score. I was totally obsessed with it in college, and got good enough that it ended up being really economical. Play once, get three or four free games and that's like an hour play on a quarter. Hotness.

All the arcades around here are closed now though, so I don't know if I'll ever get to play it again. I looked into buying a machine, but they're like $3,000 on eBay. That makes me sad. :(