TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Desert Island Draft

260arrested_development.jpg

Arrested Development

Probably the funniest show ever. Not too many episodes, but every one of them has a ton of laughs. GOB is one of the best characters in history, and there isn't a weak link in the cast.

Damn you, treble!

Anyway, with my first pick, I choose:

the_simpsons.jpg

The Simpsons

My favorite show of all-time. Growing up with this show shaped my sense of humor.

Okay, so it hasn't been funny in a long time and I gave up on it years ago. However, that still doesn't erase the first decade of AWESOME this show dished out and I definitely want THAT on my desert island.

promoa-returns.jpg

Sure there are some goofy B stories (Teri's amnesia, anything involving Kim), but I have never had appointment viewing like I have with this show. Jack Bauer doing his thing just gets the blood flowing. Plus, I just finished season 2 again and the room still gets dusty when George Mason gets the silent clock.

Considered going with something funny (likely the Office), but looking at a couple of lists I did up I realized once I got past the elite shows, there were more passable comedies than non-comedies. So we are going with position scarcity here as another factor.

I was surprised, when I did up my lists, how few shows I actually really like. There were a lot of "thats fine" or "that one wasn't bad". There were maybe 15-20 shows that were an absolute, even if I was the only one drafting.

I was surprised, when I did up my lists, how few shows I actually really like. There were a lot of "thats fine" or "that one wasn't bad". There were maybe 15-20 shows that were an absolute, even if I was the only one drafting.

This is why I didn't sign up. If I was drafitng like...last in the first round it was possible that all the shows I loved (which number roughly...like 4) would have been gone.

Yeah, same here. If some of my favorites over in the Movie Draft get picked, no big deal, there's dozens more. But I'd have a hard time thinking of that many television shows which I feel that strongly about. And I'd be amazed if we somehow got past the first round and yet still had some of my favorites like Firefly or MST3K. Whoops! Maybe just mentioning them makes more people think about choosing them, haha! Mole is gonna cry when it gets back to his next pick sometime around Saturday and there ain't a single Whedon show left.

And somebody better eventually pick Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. That show was THE great lost classic of the 80s, but nobody ever remembers it. J. Michael Straczynski never again wrote anything that cool.

It is kind of interesting though, to see what shows other people watch. You always have the threads of the really popular shows, but this will show you what people watch that really really doesn't get the buzz.

And I am shocked Mole didn't go Whedon first overall (not a knock, I am plenty gay for the Whedon). I definitely don't see any Whedonverse getting back to him, while Entourage may have.

I have a list of about 60 that I hope to get at least 10-12 from.

And I am shocked Mole didn't go Whedon first overall (not a knock, I am plenty gay for the Whedon). I definitely don't see any Whedonverse getting back to him, while Entourage may have.

Nah, I can go without some Whedoneverse shows. They aren't my favorite anymore. There are PLENTY of shows I'd pick before them. And, I reallly hope people don't pick the show I want to get next.

I've got about 100 on my list. What sucks is not knowing whether to pick your favorite that available...or hold off on it hoping no one else snatches it up.

mst3k.jpg

Mystery Science Theater 3000

I'm shocked, relieved and elated that I get this. You know why. When you actually sit me down and make me choose, I can choose no other.

None of the shows I was THINKING of picking have been picked yet. There are some on here I would love to have, but they aren't on the top of my list.

Shit, I was hoping to get MST3K in the second round. First round, brutal.

Anyway, instead of going for one of my favorite comedies in round one, I went with probably my favorite drama of all time instead.

sopranos.png

The Sopranos

God, what do you even say about The Sopranos that hasn't been said before and better? I don't even know but I'll utter some half-finished sentences anyway. Even when it lost some steam in the sixth season it was still fantastic television with some of my favorite characters of all time (even if most of the ones I loved had an unfortunate tendency of getting killed off). Also? Some of the best song choices in TV history; "Thru and Thru" by the Rolling Stones for the season two ending montage was pure class. Everything that a great TV drama should be, and it really set the bar for everything this decade in my opinion.

TheWire.jpg

Well, since my top four commedies have all been snatched up, I'm going with my number 1 drama. Really, this is IMO the best show that I've ever seen. Each character is so well developed that I could see myself enjoying it over and over again. The show seems like it will hold up well over time and is one that I would definitely need to have on my island.

Man, I was thinking about The Wire but since I still haven't even finished the third season I didn't feel right picking it. I knew it'd be gone first-round, though.

Yeah, you gotta get on finishing the series.

If I had the number one overall pick, I would really have had a tough choice between Cheers, The Simpsons and the Wire. The Wire was my favorite show overall, but commedies seem to be much more rewatchable. Didn't matter since I knew Simpons and Cheers would be gone. I was surprised the Wire lasted actually.

The Wire was my top pick...hoping it would survive the next 3 or so poster so I would get it. I think I've got a good game plan for picks 1 and 2, but I'm not going to see pick 3 for a long time

battlestar_galactica.jpg

Battlestar Galactica (the new one): Easily my favorite Scifi series. Just great acting and writing all around.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

curb_y0ur_enthusi@sm.jpg

This is my favorite show of all time, and while I would have loved to have gotten The Simpsons, I'm not sure which I would have taken if they were both available. This show is everything I loved about Seinfeld without any of the awkward sit-com stuff that sometimes went on. I've loved nearly every episode, and it's all the more impressive when you consider they've only got a five or six page script for each episode. I don't know what to say, if you've seen it, you love it, or I hate you.