TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Desert Island Draft

I've decided to go from a value pick last round to a quality over quantity pick this round. This show might have been around until the end, but I didn't want to take that chance.

51YAPsDLEVL._SS500_.jpg

I didn't know how much people around here had ever watched this show, but it is just fantastic. Really ahead of its time by several years. David Kelly show that probably got the least press/promotion, but was also among his best.

The acting, directing and writing are all top notch on this series. Philip “Fyvush” Finkel is at the top of his game as lawyer Douglas Wambaugh and even Lauren Holly does a great job acting. You also have Tom Skeritt, Kathy Baker, Holly Marie Combs and Don Cheadle. That's a hell of a cast right there.

I'm shaking my fist in anger at you right now. I was hoping this would stay till the next round.

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together. Okay, three, two, one, let's jam.

Bebop.png

Cowboy Bebop

Yeah, I probably could have waited a couple rounds on this one, but much like Daria I didn't want to risk what I perceived to be the very, very, very slight chance that someone else might snag it first. I'm not sure if I'll take any other anime series this entire draft, but Bebop is pretty much the best anime series ever so it's not like I really need another to begin with; it's a brilliant ode to all things Western culture (westerns, blaxploitation, jazz, rock and roll, and so on) with brilliant (mostly) self-contained episodes and the single best original score I've ever heard for any television series. I could seriously rewatch scenes for the sole purpose of listening to the accompanying music, which makes it worth bringing on to an island by itself. Combined with an absolutely amazing series and this was a pretty easy pick, and one I've been waiting to make for a couple of rounds now.

xlarge.jpg

COPS

20+ years, and I'm entertained by every single episode. That's really saying something. No matter how many shirtless nutcases, prostitution stings, wife beating rednecks, dumbass crackheads, crossdressing truckers, etc etc etc I see, shit never gets old.

4135-25.jpg

Star Trek

I may not be the biggest of Trekkies anymore, but I remember about 12 years old every Saturday night the local Fox affiliate in Sacramento would run Star Trek and my brothers and I would watch it.

SEND PMs, PEOPLE. IT ISNT HARD.

No Reservations

bourdain_no_reservations.jpg

I watch this show religiously, I love it, havn't missed an episode and I'll need creative ways to eat all the bugs and snakes I'll be forced to eat... plus a warm reminder of civilizations.

That guy is a goddamned riot. Have you read Kitchen Confidential?

Oh yeah, I've read all of his non-fiction. Bigfoot.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
xlarge.jpg

COPS

20+ years, and I'm entertained by every single episode. That's really saying something. No matter how many shirtless nutcases, prostitution stings, wife beating rednecks, dumbass crackheads, crossdressing truckers, etc etc etc I see, shit never gets old.

According to former TSMer two tuff toddy, this, along with Three's Company and CMT videos are the three most watched television programs in the county lockup.

127_amazing_race_468.jpg

The Amazing Race

If I'm stuck on a desert island, I'm gonna want to see the rest of the world...

Pretty much the only "reality show" I can stand.

cast.jpg

All in the Family

I've seen maybe a third of the episodes (if that, even), so why not use my time on a desert island to catch-up with an all-time classic?

real-world-logo.jpg

The Real World by Mary-Ellis Bunim and Jonathan Murray

My all time favorite reality show. Though it hasn't been great the past few seasons (though this year is pretty damn good), I've always loved the drama that is brought to the table.

7094216.jpg

Firefly by Joss Whedon

It was either this or two other shows. I am pretty sure one of them will make it back to me, so I'll hold off on it. But I have to have me some Whedon on a Desert Island.

127_amazing_race_468.jpg

The Amazing Race

If I'm stuck on a desert island, I'm gonna want to see the rest of the world...

Pretty much the only "reality show" I can stand.

Along with being neighbors to one of the lawyers when he was growing up who won season one, and being in the same bolwing league as Matt Campotili, are my only some of my only brushes w/ "famous" ppl.

I kicked Jebus a pm with my top two picks, so he can throw my pick up when he makes his pick as I am calling it a night.

And I didn't expect Firefly to make it back to me, but the Price is Right/Jeopardy back to back combined with Firefly going hurt.

That%2070s%20Show%20-%20Season%20One%20(1473_f_250.jpg

That 70's Show

Very funny and entertaining...well, at least the early seasons were. Good enough for me.

Love the characters. They're just very relatable...no matter the decade.

... drat and double drat. The first half or so of That '70s Show is a very worthy addition to any roster, and Justice League was the other Timmverse show I was considering.

Ah crud, I was saving that one. Why do I still underestimate the love for the teen dramas?

I was WAY too into the Dawson, Pacey, Joey love triangle in Season 3. Go Pacey!

By the way, I actually met Josh Jackson on a movie set. I had to fight the urge to yell out "Pacey!". It's just not professional.

Mmm, pre-Cruise Katie Holmes. :wub:

_44227383_youngones2_bbcpicgall.jpg

The Young Ones

My favorite British comedy show. Fairly dated, but charmingly so. Anarchistic, surreal and totally 80s, which is right up my alley. Also some pretty badass musical guests, ie Motorhead.