TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Desert Island Draft

I think I'm starting to revert to a "when in doubt go with a British comedy" strategy.

350px-Mainlogo.jpg

Red Dwarf

Another show I've only seen a little of so it'll give me stuff I haven't seen, and it'll give me an obligatory sci-fi pick as well (or, well, there's Bebop too I guess).

(Metalocalypse is good but kind of hit-or-miss).

I know this is a delayed response, but as I was doing a bunch of Murderface quotes with some friends, I got to think that while I personally enjoy it consistently, I've heard a few people say it's uneven. I think what's good is that when it's not particularly funny, it's still just out and out brutal. That's still cool. Like Nathan choking out their son while claiming hug therapy, or Toki's "Get some ding dongs, fatty tits!" (probably the meanest thing he's ever said, besides the Dethkids episode).

I honestly can't pick a favorite out of that band.

Oh god, that episode was fucking brilliant. The "I think we need to build a space helicopter" "... unfortunately, that's impossible" exchange is probably one of the best moments in the entire series, and definitely Pickles' best moment.

It's mostly the second season that hasn't worked for me aside from a couple of episodes (the one where Toki gets guitar lessons is pretty great). But then, I've only seen like the first half of it; maybe the second half is more consistently awesome.

mtv-the-state.jpg

I'm going with the under appreciated comedy "The State". I didn't have any sketch comedy shows, and wanted one. This was short lived, but during the time it was around really had some great skits.

Ugh, no internet. I'm going with the Showtime series

brotherhood_gal2_keyart_logo.jpg

Brotherhood.

Awesome Irish Gangster series and another reason why Showtime is running past HBO in original series. Awesome seeing Ethan Embry from Can't Hardly Wait play a total boozehound cop that can't keep his shit together

CSI

The original and best of this series of shows. Quite surprised that it's still left this deep in the draft.

After M*A*S*H went in the fourth round, nothing in this draft surprises me anymore.

CSI

The original and best of this series of shows. Quite surprised that it's still left this deep in the draft.

After M*A*S*H went in the fourth round, nothing in this draft surprises me anymore.

Don't mean to toot my own horn, but Round 7: ER

Only last 4 seasons, but this show gave me sooo many laughs.

o_Coupling_BBC_Photo.jpg

Coupling...I don't think I should have to mention, but the BBC version.

Not my next planned pick, but I think the other one I wanted can survive another round

Jorge Gorgeous, gWIL and C Dubya 04 have all timed out. Gosunkugi is on the clock. Canadian Brandon is up at 2:48 or whenever Gosunkugi picks, whichever comes first. Any of those three I mentioned can pick any time.

Didn't realize it was my pick due to the misses. Anyways, going purely on value of the number of episodes here:

days.jpg

Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.

As I said above, the number of episodes is a big selling point. Airing every weekday since 1965 adds up to a ton of viewing on the island.

Also, of the soaps, this is the only one I've ever watched. Had a girlfriend in college who used to make me watch this with her, and it was really not that bad. Entertaining at least.

JohnnyCarson.jpg

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson

Assuming that different hosts count as a different selection since I know someone else went with Leno. I mean. Honestly, he did the show for thirty years. No matter what I imagine I'm going to at least get some great stand-up comedy, some good and/or interesting interviews, and from a Guy Who Loves Useless Trivia standpoint this show will be perfect for me. It's from before my time, but hey, it's Johnny fucking Carson, man.

What if, for rounds 16-20, we just do a pick as you show up order. Personally, at this point, I am not going to be crushed if someone steals one of the shows I was interested in given that there have been plenty of opportunities to take your priority shows and the pace has really slowed down. Everyone can make one pick whenever they show up and once everyone has gone in the round, we start the process over again.

It might get a little confusing, but as long as the first person to make the pick in each round (which will obviously be whoever made the last pick in the previous round) copies and pastes the participant list into their post to signify the beginning of a new round it should stay relatively sane.

And selfishly I would like to wrap this up before 8/5 as I am going away for a week and a half and if this is still going on after I get back it means this is reallllllly dragging.

Oh, ok.

chrisonbike.jpg

Get A Life

Say it aged badly (true), fuck it, it still makes me laugh. Pioneer of "I'm doing the wrong thing and I'm absolutely proud of it." comedy archetype the Simpsons used later.

Here's an idea along the same lines at Pinjockey.

Round 16. Let's say that round 15 was concluded today, so then round 16 would start at midnight and run till Midnight. first pick first serve. Round 17 starts at that second midnight, same deal. if you miss during this time then you can pick anytime, just like making your regular ass pick.

How does this sound for 16-20?