TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Guys who you KNEW sucked

Started watching wrestling about 1991 - around the time of Summerslam that year (I ended up going LIVE the following year)

I used to hate - The Bushwackers (a popular choice) Sgt Slaughter, Natural Disasters.....(Although I did like Earthquake...his feud with Jake The Snake never really went anywhere), Dino Bravo, Texas Tornando and Greg Valentine.

I have now realised what a fucking worker Valentine actually is...He appeared so generic at the time, what with all the other colourful charcters around at the time.

I've always found it bizarre that UT didn't feud with Papa Shango in 1992 but did feud with Kama in 1995. I would have given Wright a shot at UT as Shango since the voodoo MIGHT work, but Kama was just a boring big man gimmick that wasn't interesting.

Did anyone else have trouble figuring out "The Supreme Fighting Machine" gimmick. The Soviet Suplex he used as a finisher really threw me off, as well as the red singlet he always sported. Was he supposed to be a communist? A UFC washout? Pre-Taz Taz? I mean, WTF was he?

As far as guys I knew who sucked. Pretty much every big man without charisma bored the crap out of me as a kid. (Plunk basically everybody but Kevin Nash, Sid, Undertaker, and Andre in this category, with people like Big John Studd and Kane straddling the line.)

As a WWF fan I'd always find myself criticizing one half of tag team contenders in the mid-nineties. HOG was a decent heel, fun gimmick, but Phineas really dragged him down after he was added. Zip was a pile of crap in the Body Donnas and he was clearly just added so Skip would have something to do, other than job to Barry Horowitz. Bart Gunn was clearly less talented and charismatic than Billy. Surprisingly, perhaps, I always thought Thrasher was a much more interesting personality than Mosh (until he joined Lo Down.) Also, I always thought Hawk was light years ahead of Animal in both style and presence.

I would assume the Supreme Fighting Machine gimmick was an early UFC style gimmick but the thing is it was 1995 and very few people were all that into UFC. I had never heard of it at all until Shamrock showed up in the WWF.

Disco Inferno was bad.

I'll always have respect for Disco for getting one of the worst gimmicks ever in wrestling history over. He stuck around for years until WCW folded and was still featured on TV and getting wins until the company's demise.

Disco Inferno was awesome in Memphis when he was doing the Andy Kaufman "Intergender champion" gimmick. I also like his pre firing days in WCW.

Re: Kama

Yes, it was a UFC-based gimmick, with his name being a knockoff of Kimo.

Re: Phineas Godwin

Phineas was an absolutely horrible wrestler. HOG was acceptable, but Phineas was just terrible. Check out his appearance in the 1997 Rumble. When he he has Crush in the corner, he throws, without a doubt, the worst punches you have ever seen in the major leagues.

Re: Disco Inferno

The epitome of average. There is nothing about Disco that stands out in any way. Road the coattails of Kevin Nash in WCW before getting in tight with Vince Russo; talk about the blind leading the blank. And who told Inferno he knew how to book?

When I was a mark, I always just thought Kama was a boxing gimmick. It wasn't until they signed Ken Shamrock a couple years later that I realized that it was a shootfighter gimmick.

As for Disco, yeah he was the epitome of average workrate wise but he's a damn entertaining comedy worker. Yeah,nobody should have let him anywhere near the book or the main event but he was a perfectly acceptable mid-card guy.

Disco has his shining moments. One night on Saturday Night, he's selling Paul Orndorff's brutal piledriver and the first thing he asks the officials is if his hair is okay.

Am in the minority in this as hes loved all over the internet. but i always thought pillman sucked badly. austin used to outshine him so much during the hollywood blondes run. and i have never gotten why he was so popular with a lot of people.

The one guy who I always rolled my eyes to was Skinner.

His offense seemed weak and he never won matches, and I clearly remember him getting a title shot against Randy Savage on Prime Time Wrestling and by then he had lost countless matches.

Am in the minority in this as hes loved all over the internet. but i always thought pillman sucked badly. austin used to outshine him so much during the hollywood blondes run. and i have never gotten why he was so popular with a lot of people.

In some ways, he was an average/above average worker in ring, but once he turned heel he developed a hell of a character. His promos were great and he did little things in his match to draw heat.

Guest Czech please!

Disco Inferno was cool on WCW Saturday Night, when he would brag about ending his losing streak with "the leg hold" that he never perfected, till one night he brought a diagram of the leg hold to the ring to consult mid-match, but then THE DIAGRAM WAS UPSIDE DOWN and so he did it wrong and lost. He finally did hit the leg hold but I don't remember what it was. Fuck the haters; Disco Inferno was a fine mid-card gimmick.

Aw, why's everyone rippin' on the Bushwhackers? They were good clean family fun.

Disco Inferno was cool on WCW Saturday Night, when he would brag about ending his losing streak with "the leg hold" that he never perfected, till one night he brought a diagram of the leg hold to the ring to consult mid-match, but then THE DIAGRAM WAS UPSIDE DOWN and so he did it wrong and lost. He finally did hit the leg hold but I don't remember what it was. Fuck the haters; Disco Inferno was a fine mid-card gimmick.

Aw, why's everyone rippin' on the Bushwhackers? They were good clean family fun.

That was awesome. I liked in 99/00 when he changed his name to Disqo to be more hip and carried around the plastic "Disco Duck" goose lawn ornament.

Guest Czech please!

Yeah, and the send-up of the Konnan music video is a favorite among smart marks, like Positively Kanyon.

I liked in 99/00 when he changed his name to Disqo to be more hip

The only way this could've been better was if he explicitly gave an interview, explaining "Here in 1999, I have changed my name to Disqo to be more hip."

And another instance of workers being neutered by the WWE since they weren't about to be allowed to do the violent Sheepherder stuff in Titan-land.

And another instance of workers being neutered by the WWE since they weren't about to be allowed to do the violent Sheepherder stuff in Titan-land.

Maybe that's one way of looking at it. Of course that gimmick also allowed the team to work a much easier style while making a lot more money on the independent circuit after the fact.

Maybe that's one way of looking at it. Of course that gimmick also allowed the team to work a much easier style while making a lot more money on the independent circuit after the fact.

Very good point.