TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JST

Take a sad song, and make it better

"You ok, man?"

Wednesday, May 28th, 2008.

"Yeah, I guess."

Deep inside La Arena in Mexìco City, Mexìco.

"Hell of an effort out there."

"Yeah. Not good enough."

Tod James Stuart rests against a wall-adorned with a large black canvas adorned with the SWF logo. This area must be usually used by the television crew. In fact, various backstage employees are scurrying around, setting up equipment, taping cables to the ground, testing lights and generally ignoring the two wrestlers. In street clothes, his massive partner Daniel Smith leans on the wall right next to him. He offers words of wisdom as best as a 6'5", 285 lbs. teaching major can.

"Hey, back at the start of training camp, who was it that said it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit; then get up and keep moving forward?" asks Dan.

His eyebrows scrunching into a puzzled squint, Tod directs his glance towards his partner.

"I said that?!"

"Yeah. And I'm pretty sure you blatantly lifted it from that last 'Rocky' movie. Still a kick-ass line, though."

"Still. I just got a weird feeling."

"Why's that?"

"Well, these people seem about ready to set up a shoot here."

"Coming through!"

A crewwoman zooms by past the two men, carrying an unusually large make-up case.

"And then," continues Tod. "This guy with the mullet has been fiddling around with this light projector for the past five minutes."

Daniel turns his gaze to look behind him, spotting the aforementionned crewman. Using his best southern hospitality, he returns the gesture with a grin and a How You Doin'.

"Then there's that camera four feet away from us, pointing directly at us. With Gus seemingly waiting his cue to switch it on. Hey Gus."

"Tod."

"And that woman was Jan the make-up lady. She usually does the on-air talent. So considering the fact that we're standing in a featureless backstage interview area with the SWF logo, and that she was bringing this much make-up... I'd say we're about to cut a promo."

"With the airhead who can't string two thoughts together?" asks Dan with very minimal interest. Or that could just be his usual demeanor.

"We're rolling!" shouts another crewman.

"Hello, I'm Ben Hardy and we're backstage at Duck & Cover live from Mexico City!"

"...Well. Almost." utters Tod, to his fellow Canadian.

"I'm standing here with both members of the GTA Fight Team. And Tod James Stuart, you just went through a grueling contest with the World Champion Insane Luchadore, and unfortunately you were on the losing end. Your thoughts."

"It was a hell of a fight, Ben. Like I'm so fond of saying: we gave 'em hell. Sure, I'm a little disappointed I didn't win. Hell, who wouldn't be? Losing sucks. But it's part of the game. I may have been beaten by the better man, but I'm gonna turn that loss into a positive. It's like Dan The Man always says." he offers Dan a mightly slap of the chest. "I didn't lose to freakin' Cutthroat. I lost to the World Champion. The best wrestler in the company today. Some wait years to do this. Andrew," he then looks at the camera. "We were talking about paths. Our paths are quite different. But for one night, ours briefly crossed. And you came out on top. If that tells me one thing, it's that I wasn't ready yet. I'm a big enough man to admit that.

"That whole thing about my daughter? No hard feelings." continues Tod. "To tell you the truth, she doesn't even like wrestling. At her age, she's all about Spongebob and Dora. As this large motherfucker can attest to when he gets to babysit her." he adds a head nod towards his partner. "So, to sum it up, Ben. This is not the end of the road. Andrew; I assure you. I still love you like a brother, man. But this is not the end of us. When the time is right, we'll do this once again. In the meantime, Dan and myself, nowhere to go but up. Eventually, together, we're going to beat every team there is to beat..."

He scratches his temple with his thumb, his pinky in the air... inadvertantly flashing the shaka symbol. Upon realizing this, he sends a quick glance at the camera before continuing. Something in the eyes lets it be known this wasn't accidental.

"Once that's done... well... you do the math."

"Sweep the logo... And clear!" shouts the crewman.

"Beautiful! Thanks fellas." says Ben Hardy.

Within the span of ten seconds, the equipment is packed and boxed and the crew is happily off on a coffee break. Daniel's face is now the definition of flabbergastment.

"...What just happened?" he asks, with little reaction.

"Don't worry about it." dismisses Tod. "I'll go change. Let's go get some cervezas."

___

© SWF.com

Awesome. Tod knows what's happening, Dan isn't up to speed with SWF procedure of "let's do this asap and then skive". And good promo, too.

Sign in to follow this