TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BooYaBrutha

Weight Lifting

Guest BooYaBrutha

What's the best way to go about a weight lifting routine? Meaning, is it best to concentrate on one area one day (say the chest) and then the next time you lift, concentrate on the shoulders? OR is it better to mix it up, say, do a chest exercise, then work on the shoulders, then a legs, then work on the back??

Any input greatly appreciated!!!

BYB :ph34r:

Guest HBK16

The way I do it is one day do the upper body like arms, chest, sholders, back, abs. The the next day I concentrate on the lower body. The next day is a break to let my muslces rest and then over again. That's how my instructer told me to do it and it works so I don't workout tired and sore muscles which is not good.

Guest redbaron51

Best to do this;

Day 1

3 Chest Workouts

3 Back Workouts

3 Bicep Workouts

Day 2

3 Thighs Workouts

2 Quads Workouts

1 Hamstring Workout

1 Calves Workout

2 Shoulder Workouts

2 Tricep Workouts

4 sets each time

and at the end of each workout do Situps for at least 10 minutes

Guest BooYaBrutha

HBK- how many exercises do you do each day???

Red Baron - how long do you work out each day? That sounds like a lenghty session at the gym

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I got alot of size quickly doing the Bigger, Stronger, Faster program.

Guest alkeiper

I usually select the biggest bag of chips possible in the grocery store isle, then carry them all the way to the checkout counter in a greuling test of strength and endurance. Then I take a nap.

Guest Syxx

If u want to get big do no more than 7 different exercises a day, and lift heavy weight, the maximum u possibly can. I hear people talk about overtraining, and I understand it but I still work out every day, I find my muscles have grown much faster doing this contrary to popular belief. I divide one day shoulders/chest/back day, the other day pure arms, with 20 minutes of cardio a day. This program has worked great for me, but may not be for everyone, oh yeah get some supplements too.

Guest Human Fly

Try out different routines and see what works best for you. It also depends what you are trying to accomplish whether it be size, cut, or a combination. Many bodybuilders have websites with their workouts, and diet tips. Even if you're not trying to get that kind of body there are still many useful tips there.

Guest HBK16
HBK- how many exercises do you do each day???

Red Baron - how long do you work out each day? That sounds like a lenghty session at the gym

Well, I work out with my former high school wrestling coach. He is huge, he wrestles for a small indy, and he is my workout teacher. He has been a pro body builder for about 9 years now. We change sometimes but we mostly do what RedBaron51 said. One day upper body and the next lower body. We are in there for around 2-3 hours but for you it might difer because you might not worout a part of the body that we do.

Guest Flyboy

For football we have a schedule for weight lifting...it goes:

EVERY Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:

3 sets of bench press (chest)

3 sets of squatting (shoulders/calves/quad/buttocks)

3 sets of incline (shoulders?)

Sometimes even 4 sets...

But, it's summer now... and I have picked up a weight since I got out of school. <_< I'm going to be out of shape for football season. :(

I'm super lazy, but I really need to start lifting again and running again...

How come I never see you in this folder?

Guest BooYaBrutha

Thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to gain any bulk, i'm just trying to drop some of my spare tire... get a little leaner. I try to do between 4 or 5 hours of cardio a week, but I was told to mix some weight lifting in it as well... so basically I'm just looking to drop some lbs as opposed to gaining bulk...

Guest redbaron51

I work out about 2-3 hours a day, and that is what I was taught at first.

At first don't push yourself on your first rep, you are just going fuck your self later on, and an easy way to tear a muscle. Start light at first for warmup, then build up. The last set should be the heavyiest, and you should be able to do 5-8 reps, over 8 reps is too light, and you can still put more weight on.

At the end of every 2 weeks you should put more weight on the activity you are doing.

Guest ant_7000
Thanks for the replies. I'm not trying to gain any bulk, i'm just trying to drop some of my spare tire... get a little leaner. I try to do between 4 or 5 hours of cardio a week, but I was told to mix some weight lifting in it as well... so basically I'm just looking to drop some lbs as opposed to gaining bulk...

Yeah keep doing cardio and lifting to get muscle tone do like burnout reps, do sit ups, and chin ups. What I do is when doing lifting to get muscle tone I usually lift lighter weights and do burnout reps. My routine now is upper body one day and lower body the next day or sometimes both but light.

Guest Ripper

Or you can do Rippers "I'm not really in shape, but dammit I look like it" Work out. This work out does absolutely NOTHING for strenth and stamina, but It makes people think I work out Hours a day when I take off the shirt.

You need a straight bar with light/med weight...something you can bench and overhead press.

Bench: set 1 wide grip, set 2 med grip, set 3 close grip. Do 7-10 reps of each. Do them right behind each other

Shrugs. Done with the straight bar. hold up for 2 counts and down.. Do 7-10.

Overhead Press- Do a set of 10.

Bent over rows. Set 1, wide underhand grip, set 2 med/close underhand grip. set 3 med/close overhand grip. do 7-10 of each. Do them right behind each other.

Not sure what you call these things, but stand straight up and lift the weight to your chin and down...do 6-8 of these.

Do 100 crunches: have feet elevated and at 90 degree angle,and don't lift the small of your back. do 25 staight up, cross legs, do 25 towards one leg, switch and do 25 the other way, and the last 25 come up and do the torso twist at the top and down.

And Thats IT. I live on a monstrous hill(I swear it is like a mountain) So from walking/jogging up that 3-4 times a day, my legs stay pretty muscular.

Be sure to use light weight, with as little time between excersises as you can. You can get definition in your chest and shoulders VERY quickly with this excersise. You can do anything else you want if you want to get your arms bulkier(I do curls, dips and elevated pushups) But basically thats it.

I'm serious, I do it every day and it takes about 10 minutes. Thats all I work out. Then I stop for a while so I don't get to used to it and start again. And I look like I am in hella shape...just don't ask me to lift anything because you'll be SOL...and you know what that means...[bows head in shame for quoting lame WCW catchphrases]

Guest The Superstar

I suggest swimming. It's one of the best ways to stay in shape. While it doesn't really get you ripped and stuff, it just keeps you in shape. However I also try to hit the gym 3 times a week. I usually work some arms, legs, chest, and i ride the exercise bike. It's really just to gain some muscle weight because I'm puny.

Guest Dangerous A

If you are trying to get rid of the spare tire, you might want to look into circuit training. That is when you move around the machines in your gym and do 1 set of around 10-15 reps per machine and do it without any rest. Do 1 exercise per body part. After your done, repeat it 1-2 more times.

Guest Flyboy
How come I never see you in this folder?

Well, I'm not in to sports much, so I hardly come to the forum for it. :P

Guest Shaved Bear

ok heres what i do

chest:

incline bar 3 sets

flat dumbell 3 sets

incline fly 3sets

cable crossover 3 sets

decline bar 3 sets

day 2

back

pull ups 3 sets

chin ups 3 sets

lower back things (dont know name) 3 sets

reverse flys 3 sets

shoulders

military press dumbells 3 sets

side laterals 3 sets

shrugs 3 sets

day 3

triceps

dips 3 sets

rope pulldowns 3 sets

tight grip bench press 3 sets

biceps

standing alternate curl 3 sets

preacher curls 3 sets

standing curls over preacer bench 3 sets

If you are trying to get rid of the spare tire, you might want to look into circuit training. That is when you move around the machines in your gym and do 1 set of around 10-15 reps per machine and do it without any rest. Do 1 exercise per body part. After your done, repeat it 1-2 more times.

If you really want to get cut up, you can take that a step further. Find three machines that work out a specific body part (chest, shoulders etc.,) and do three sets of ten reps on each machine. What you do is, do ten reps on one machine, ten on another and ten more on another. After you complete one circuit, decrease the weight by ten pounds (or whatever the equivalent of one plate is on the machine) on each machine and continue. Complete one more circuit with the weight decreased again. When doing these circuits, you should try no to rest in between. You will get pretty cut up this way and you will also gain some size as well.

Guest undisputedjericho

"hey what are burnout reps?" Doing as reps as you possibly can.

My schedule is:

Monday-Back

Pull-ups

Lateral Pull Downs

Chainsaws

Low row

Tuesdays-Chest

Bench press

Decline press

Incline press

Wednesday-Legs

Squats

Leg Sled

Leg Press

Leg Extentions

Leg Curls

Calf Raises

Thursday-Bi's & Tri's

Bar Curls

Preacher curls

21's

Skull crushers

Triceps extentions

Triceps pushups

Friday-Shoulders

Military press

{Upright row

{Shrugs

{Weight hold

Medicine ball

Daily-Abs

Decline situps

Ab rollers/Crunchers

Guest HBK16

I hoped we helped out enough. If you still have questions just ask trainers at the gym and they can help out 10 times more than us.