TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/9 - 6/15

Apparently no one ever told Greg Smith that as a left handed pitcher he might want to occasionally look over his shoulder to check on the runner at third base. Omar Vizquel almost could've walked home without a pitch being thrown.

A little eerie, given that it's Friday the 13th and all, but the last time the Cardinals gave up 20+ runs in a game happened almost two years ago against the Chicago White Sox. Sidney Ponson was ejected from the game for throwing at a batter after the game had gotten out of hand. The Cardinals' record at the time was 42-26.

The Os came back from down 6-1 to win 9-6, I missed the comeback...lesson learned.

They got a sellout out of a Pirates game so it was even better..maybe they'll start drawing more than 20,000 a night.

Baltimore is only a little over 20 miles from PA. I am sure there were a lot of Pirates fans that made the trip. Nothing to get excited about potential drawing power, says I.

The Os came back from down 6-1 to win 9-6, I missed the comeback...lesson learned.

They got a sellout out of a Pirates game so it was even better..maybe they'll start drawing more than 20,000 a night.

Baltimore is only a little over 20 miles from PA. I am sure there were a lot of Pirates fans that made the trip. Nothing to get excited about potential drawing power, says I.

But Pittsburgh is so far west that it's near the Ohio border.

Oh, I am familiar with Pittsburgh's location. However, there are Pittsburgh fans all over the state. It's only 4 hours from Pittsburgh to Baltimore, but not every fan lives in Pittsburgh, ya know? There are hardcore pirate fans in the northern part of WV. They love all things Pittsburgh, since they act like Pittsburgh South there. There are plenty of fans close enough to Baltimore to check out that series.

It was a sellout for a couple reasons:

1. College night, 6 dollar tickets.

2. Fireworks after the game...everyone likes fireworks.

3. This one might be a strech but It was flashback night, so theres that.

Basically, if it was a PIT/BAL game sold out on like, a thursday, I'd be impressed, but last night I don't think had too much to do with either team.

I cant belive this game..

Os have the 6-5 lead into the 9th

Sherrill gives up a 2 run hr and blows the save.

Oscar Salazar, in for Mora who left in the beginning of the game with a knee injury, hits the first pitch he sees in the 9th for his first HR in 6 years to tie it back up at 7.

and a couple minutes later a basehit to CF scores the winning run!

An extra ticket for the Tigers/Dodgers game fell in my lap a few minutes ago. I'm not into the Tigers and the Dodgers are just brutal to watch, but I haven't been to a game in two years, so it's tough to pass up.

Hey, the Phils have outscored the Cards 22-5 in the last two games and are 1-1. I hate when they score big one game and get silenced the next. Reminds me of a few years ago when they scored 16 in one game, got shut out the next, and then scored 16 the next game. Memory is a blur, but I think that's what happened. Might have been 16, shutout, then 16 again the next week or something.

An extra ticket for the Tigers/Dodgers game fell in my lap a few minutes ago. I'm not into the Tigers and the Dodgers are just brutal to watch, but I haven't been to a game in two years, so it's tough to pass up.

how was it?

was eddie bonine actually good?

they were singing his praises but he gave up 6 earned runs.

the tigers are making their move

....on the nl west.

sweet!

What do you mean by "Still, National League." Are you implying that only good players, pitchers, teams, etc. are in the American League?

What do you mean by "Still, National League." Are you implying that only good players, pitchers, teams, etc. are in the American League?

The opposing lineup has a pitcher in it.

Check out the league batting statistics this year. The gap has closed the last two years, and the NL outperforms the AL slightly in the batting categories this year.

Totally separate argument, but I would take at least 3 (possibly 5) pitchers in the NL before I would select one from the AL. This isn't a "which league is better?" argument, but don't give me that noise about pitchers in the NL not meaning as much.

The league argument is really irrelevant in this case. Myers' ERA was 3.72 and 3.91 in 2005-06. Coming into today it was 5.34 (and he allowed 6 ER in 6 IP). Pitching in the same division the whole time, the competition hasn't changed. Only the results.

I agree with you, al, but too many people are stuck in this "AL is superior in hitting, making it harder on pitchers."

Check out the league batting statistics this year. The gap has closed the last two years, and the NL outperforms the AL slightly in the batting categories this year.

Totally separate argument, but I would take at least 3 (possibly 5) pitchers in the NL before I would select one from the AL. This isn't a "which league is better?" argument, but don't give me that noise about pitchers in the NL not meaning as much.

Really? I'd probably take Beckett and Halladay before anyone else in the NL. The closers are better in the AL as well.

The Cardinals' pitchers have lost all control as they've walked four straight hitters to tie the game.

So Taguchi got a round of applause from the home crowd for his pinch-running appearance.

I agree with you, al, but too many people are stuck in this "AL is superior in hitting, making it harder on pitchers."

Where did I say this? Pitchers hit in the NL; they don't in the AL. In other words, if I were a shitty pitcher, I'd rather face Ubaldo Jimenez than Milton Bradley.

Bradley would not be hitting in the 9th slot, where most pitchers hit in the NL. The 9th slot in the AL, while a position player and not a pitcher, is typically not a slugger or even a dangerous bat. I get what you are saying, but in my opinion, you still can't say the National League is weaker in batting anymore.