TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

News You Can (barely) Use

This idea was batted around (since "Random Thoughts" was never supposed to be for news) but no one ever started it. Let's give it a go, ok?

How about that WON/F4W merger? That's pretty exciting, maybe even exciting enough for it's own General thread... but maybe not.

Ratings sure are down, aren't they?

And hey, Michaels Hayes is back!

The F4W/Observer merger is pretty big news in the context of the IWC.

If you haven't already signed up for F4W, now you're officially out of excuses (that is, if you have PayPal or a means of sending payments). Both newsletters online as they go to print and now, at least three weekly audio shows with both Alvarez and Meltzer.

Yeah, the idea of being able to read the Observer the Wednesday it was printed as opposed to the Wednesday 7 days later I get it in the mail sounds awesome. I'm just waiting for Meltz to send me whatever I need to log in. He also said Todd Martin's Raw recaps are moving too which, since F4W's website already had their own show recappers, I was a bit worried about how that was going to work. I never signed up for F4W just because I felt, even though they are different, it would be spending money on two subscriptions that were kind of the same. Now it's combined so hooray.

I promise you'll get your money with just the F4W content. I genuinely believe the biggest sell to prospective subscribers should be the back-issue archive of Observers that will slowly be added over time. The archive of F4W newsletters is already pretty comprehensive, but we're talking about Observers dating back to 1991 (it was typewritten prior to that, which will be harder to transcribe obviously).

Great news.

I honestly just couldn't buy the newsletters WON/F4W prints out. Isn't technically all the same "news" in the first place or everything pretty much speculation?

I honestly look forward to sarcastic comments about Impact's writing and PPV reviews than actual news. Also looking for my name in "Special Thanks". News tidbits can be hit or miss (because plans change 12 times a day) but multi-page stories that have to be thoroughly researched (like the Michael Hayes suspension) are great reads. There was recently a really interesting piece about 1908 and Gotch vs. Hackenschmidt that went into detail about wrestling's transition from legitimate to worked.

A lot of the news in the Observer is stuff I already know or mundane, but I usually get it on Saturday, and it's a good way to kill an afternoon.

I do wish he'd make it more pro wrestling-centric instead of all the MMA stuff

A lot of the news in the Observer is stuff I already know or mundane, but I usually get it on Saturday, and it's a good way to kill an afternoon.

As a wrestling fan I'm a bit perturbed that Meltzer will now put wrestling things aside (such as updating WO.com, but that's no longer an issue) to go attend MMA events but I don't think he goes to wrestling when they run at the Cow Palace or around there... I know he did once recently, but it seems to me he usually skips it. It just says to me that his heart is with MMA now which I guess is great if you're an MMA fan. That's his business though.

Edit: Well shame on me, he went to the SmackDown taping in San Jose on Sunday.

As a wrestling fan I'm a bit perturbed that Meltzer will now put wrestling things aside (such as updating WO.com, but that's no longer an issue) to go attend MMA events but I don't think he goes to wrestling when they run at the Cow Palace or around there... I know he did once recently, but it seems to me he usually skips it. It just says to me that his heart is with MMA now which I guess is great if you're an MMA fan. That's his business though.

The coverage of ONS seemed subpar because he was at the WEC show. He should just do a seperate MMA newsletter, since I wonder if a lot of people, like me, usually just skim through the MMA notes

The coverage of ONS seemed subpar because he was at the WEC show. He should just do a seperate MMA newsletter, since I wonder if a lot of people, like me, usually just skim through the MMA notes

Ah yes, that was it... the random "Here's Brian's coverage of ONS since I was at a WEC show", followed by waiting for the week's second issue to put the poll results in. I skim the MMA notes but sometimes he hides mentions of wrestling related stuff in there. Sneaky! He's too busy to separate the two subjects into full length newsletters though.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I don't mind the coverage of MMA because I find the MMA Industry's growth interesting even though I'm not a huge MMA fan.

I would like more coverage of the Indies and Japan though.

I don't mind the coverage of MMA because I find the MMA Industry's growth interesting even though I'm not a huge MMA fan.

I would like more coverage of the Indies and Japan though.

I don't care for MMA, and just don't see why it's in a wrestling newsletter. It's especially annoying when it's the top story and you get pages and pages of MMA.

He does a lot of Japan coverage, I feel. I understand the lack of indie coverage, there's only so much he can cover. I do like that he spotlights ROH when they run a big show.

The MMA/Wrestling thing has been mentioned countless times by both sides, but inherently, regardless of people on either side agreeing to it or not, MMA and Pro-Wrestling both spawned in their current forms from the same stock. They are inter-related, and they always will be. In Japan, it's not even worth mentioning because there's no way anyone can say it isn't, but even in America...the biggest MMA draw of all time (Possibly #2 or #3 depending on your outlook), Ken Shamrock was a trained Pro-Wrestler who was quite well known for his wrestling abilities. Dan Severn also did much Pro-Wrestling and even restored some dignity to the NWA World title. Both of them wrestled in WWE. Don Frye has wrestled all over the world. Mark Coleman as well. Pretty much ANY major MMA fighter before the Zuffa purchase has participated in Pro-Wrestling to some degree. Someone like Josh Barnett completely blurs the line between the two.

MMA, even the UFC, steal aspects of Pro-Wrestling such as angles, manufactured feuds, "gimmicks", and advertisement to promote themselves. Look no further then Brock Lesnar in UFC. That wasn't in an isolated world. They readily used WWE, WWE's help, and his credentials to sell that PPV, and they will every time he fights.

They are different beasts from the same breed. That's why both Bryan and Dave cover them.

And if you're not listening to the Bryan & Vinny show on F4, then you miss out. Best thing on the entire site for me still.

I download the free B&V show every Tuesday just to hear them talk about RAW. I've been thinking about signing up for the newsletters and the other B&V shows.

I don't know why Dave doesn't release an MMA newsletter while Bryan releases a wrestling newsletter. They can still work together on major stories but it would definitely free up more time for each of them and let them cover the sport each seems to prefer.

As for B&V, they're certainly good, but goddamn, do I hate the songs. Not a single one has ever made me laugh and it's a bitch trying to get the timing just right for ending the FF on my mp3 player.

I do like that there will be more Bryan/Dave shows as well as 2 Bryan/Lance shows a month. The only other shows I sometimes listen to is Coughlin's MMA show and Karl Stern's old school wrestling show. Though, I can rarely get through Stern's show w/o ending it early due to that drawl of his.

I know that Meltzer does a MMA column for Yahoo, so that could play a small part in why he covers MMA more.

I was hoping my next comment wouldn't be about the Observer/F4W deal since this thread is quickly becoming just about that while people continue to post stuff that this thread was intended for as a random thought (Mike Mondo's release), but I do have a question for anyone that would know: What is the security for accounts like? There's a really good chance I'll listen to the audio shows at home and read the newsletters when it's slow on midnights at work, but I don't want to get my account suspended for logging in as two different IPs or something like that.

Makes sense... I just know with WWE.com, you have to download some digital rights cookie or something or other and they explicity warn you to only use your 24/7 Online account on one computer. The other side of the coin you have sites like mrskin.com that had God knows how many people logging in as howardstern / rules for over a year before they noticed.

Apparently Harvey 'Downtown Bruno' Wippleman has a book out called "Wrestling With the Truth". Will it be as well received as the Bret Hart book? Only time will tell.

Raw, Smackdown, and ECW now officially have TV-PG ratings.

I can't wait for Doink to return to form a trio with Finlay and Hornswoggle soon. :rolleyes:

With that said, I think at least one or two of the other brands should still be TV-13 since they won't really feel too different by all 3 shows being kid-friendly.