Sign in to follow this  
Dobbs 3K

Tim Russert dead

Link from Drudge:

TIM RUSSERT DIES FROM APPARENT HEART ATTACK

By CHARLES HURT

New York Post

June 13, 2008 --

"Tim Russert, NBC journalist and political heavyweight host of "Meet the Press," has died after collapsing at NBC's Washington news bureau, a source said. He was 58 years old.

Russert, who rose from the inside world of politics where he was former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo's press secretary and one-time chief of staff to the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, was able to successfully cross over to political journalism and rise to become one of its leading lights."

Wow, really unexpected. I feel bad for his family.

That came out of no where. I was rarely up early enought to watch his show, but I enjoyed it when I did. Sad to lose a prominate Upstate New Yorker. RIP.

Big Rus and Me :(

Is that your book title just in case you and I get into some zany situations that necessitate a book?

Guest Epic Narcissism
He died so that R. Kelly would live.

I know! What a shitty day for life.

I happened to watch Meet the Press this past weekend. Its really sad that was his final show. He set the standard for political journalism. :(

Dude was one of my favorites. RIP man.

Guest Epic Narcissism

How could anyone not like him? He was a pro. Never made the story about himself.

Heaven needed a journalist to cover all those wrestling matches I heard about whenever a wrestler died. He's probably covering Brian Adams/Lou Thez right now!!!

That's pretty much the best mental image ever. I feel better now.

This shocked the heck out of me. I always found him to be an enjoyable and interesting commentator. I always liked that during election coverage he had the old whiteboard on hand.

I remember in 2007 at opening day baseball between the Marlins-Nationals they showed Russert on the big screen and the crowd cheered.

Crummy day. :( Irreplaceable moderator. I was really hoping to see him moderate a few debates for the presidential election.

All the MSNBC guys look like they're spending the entire commercial breaks bawling.

Guest Epic Narcissism

It's going to be so hard to replace him on Meet the Press. There's just nobody else in the pipeline at NBC that can convincingly convey objectivity. Dave Gregory can't do it. Chris Matthews can't do it. Dan Abrams is trending toward cheerleader. Chuck Todd?

Man...

The guy was one of the finest interviewers in the business, and it seems like a real decent guy. It's a bad day.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

He just keeled over while in the studio doing voice-over work, I guess. Weird. Happens, though.

Guest Vitamin X

This was really a shame, wow. He annihilated Bill Richardson earlier this year on his show, too, just made him look absolutely ridiculous. He was such an incredibly skilled interviewer, you could always find out how real a politician was behind all the bullshit if you watched his interviews. Simply amazing guy, totally irreplaceable.

You ask me, Hillary Clinton killed Tim Russert.

Brokaw described him as worn out, tired, he’d been on TV during this primary season more than any time since the 2000 debacle. His stress level was through the roof. He’s a big old Irish Catholic. That's like second worst to next to a black man in the line for a heart attack.

If she’d dropped out after Super Tuesday, he’d still be alive.

Guest Epic Narcissism
Brokaw described him as worn out, tired, he’d been on TV during this primary season more than any time since the 2000 debacle. His stress level was through the roof. He’s a big old Irish Catholic. That's like second worst to next to a black man in the line for a heart attack.

:lol:

Well, it had to be said.

Yeah, my most recent fond Meet the Press memory is when he took no bullshit from Terry McAuliffe about the Michigan/Florida delegations. Granted, I was pulling for those states to be represented, because they're states and they should count, but McAuliffe was just a slimeball, and Russert wouldn't let him get away with any "let's be pals, we're Irish, Big Russ would want Florida to count" stuff. Yesterday, I said that he'll be nearly impossible to replace with any of the other stars of NBC News and I was right: during his tribute last night, Olbermann got all dramatic and said that while SOME OTHER CERTAIN news outlets had the nerve to report Russert's death before NBC did, the bearers of integrity at NBC News had the basic human decency to alert his family first before coming on the air. He can't even get through a goddamned death show without taking some catty--but stern!--swipe at other news channels. And now I can't get through a death thread without a swipe at Keith Olbermann. Vicious cycle.

Yeah, I used to watch Meet The Press every Sunday I managed to wake up that early. I love the way he would just go after anyone who came on the show, and didn't allow them to dodge the question, but yet, always remained respectful.

The reason I'll miss him most, is because he's basically the exact opposite of every other political pundit out there.