TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

2008 Summer Olympics

Guest Smues
I think his point was that the race would have been live at 8 PM on the West coast and instead they probably won't get to see it until 11 PM their time, which is 3 hours after the fact despite it falling in the Olympic coverage window. The East coast was pretty lucky that Beijing catered to us quite a bit with all of the swimming and gymnastics finals happening in the prime time to midnight slot basically. The only race we didn't get live in prime time so far was the men's 100 meter on the track.

Exactly. They should have shown it live all accross the U.S. which would have meant I could watch it at 7PM, not 11PM.

The west coast gets screwed at every Olympics as they did tape delay coverage for us for the Atlanta and Salt Lake Olympics as well. I will not be shocked if they pull the same crap with Vancouver.

Probably, because in order to get primetime events on in the East, they'd have to start 3 hours earlier in the west (5pm) when few are off of work yet to watch it live during the week.

Guest Smues
The west coast gets screwed at every Olympics as they did tape delay coverage for us for the Atlanta and Salt Lake Olympics as well. I will not be shocked if they pull the same crap with Vancouver.

Probably, because in order to get primetime events on in the East, they'd have to start 3 hours earlier in the west (5pm) when few are off of work yet to watch it live during the week.

And yet when a baseball game starts at 8pm east coast time they don't tape delay it on the west coast.

Another big shout out to Tuscaloosa, Alabama's own Deontay Wilder for surviving the decision by the judges (A huge feat when you think about it) and ensuring the Americans will win a medal in boxing.

Does anyone know where the 100m track final is available online? I'm trying to download a torrent, but it's taking forever.

Diving is boring. The extent of my diving knowledge is that my summer camp as an 8 year old had an awesome diving board, so to me it looks like they're doing the exact same thing every time they dive. Throw in some spins or something, be more creative.

Go watch handball on NBColympics.com. It's on the live coverage.

Best.

Fucking.

Sport.

Ever.

Go watch handball on NBColympics.com. It's on the live coverage.

Best.

Fucking.

Sport.

Ever.

Still trying to figure out why it hasn't caught on over here.

Me too. It's a contact sport and all, plus it's just flopping all over the place. It's awesome.

I always watch Handball when it's on... and it's actually gotten a fair bit of play over here.

If you're a goalie, you have to be prepared to look silly.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I discussed handball earlier. Hitting people in the face should really be allowed there.

Do they have DH's in softball? Because I don't believe I've ever noticed Crystal Bustos out in the field?

Of course, I was joking with my friend last night that with the way the hos on USA's softball team pitch, they could put that heifer at shortstop, and it wouldn't matter...

Do they have DH's in softball? Because I don't believe I've ever noticed Crystal Bustos out in the field?

Of course, I was joking with my friend last night that with the way the hos on USA's softball team pitch, they could put that heifer at shortstop, and it wouldn't matter...

It's called a Designated Player because they can sub them in to play defense (har har in Crystal's case). I saw Bustos play 3B one time, and she could pretty much do nothing but block balls with her girth and then GUN it across the infield. She doesn't play defense because she can't move laterally or cover a bunt, but she can hit the ball 300+ feet on pretty much any swing so she'll always have a spot on the team.

Medal Count:

1. China: 35-13-13

2. USA: 19-21-25

3. Australia: 11-10-12

4. Great Britain: 11-7-8

5. Germany: 9-6-7

For interests sake, here are the populations for the top 5 countries:

1. China: 1.33 billion

2. USA: 303 million

3. Australia: 20 million

4. Great Britain: 60 million

5. Germany: 82 million

On a per capita basis, Australia is easily the top sporting country.

Well I was 9 in 2000. I like the medal count version anyways. I think that's better than just counting golds.